obsessively preserving things in its way you bought it

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 6:47 pm

I wonder if this was aspie as well. I have always been keen on keeping gifts, objects purchased like records, devices as virgin as they came, the slightest scratch on my laptop or dog eared book or crooked cover of a CD upsets me and it takes some time to get over it.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 8:25 pm

For the longest time, I kept the sticker on every CD I purchased, the one that kind of "seals" the top of it, and has the name of the artist and band. Most people just rip them off in the process of opening the CD case. Stuck em to my bookcase for a while, but they fell off (darn!), and still keep them on the front of the CD case, diagonally.

I try, but I'm terrible with keeping things the way they came... My laptop's fallen off my bed (on top bunk!) so many times, the CD tray's damaged and some of the trim's missing, wonder what's next! :P But amazingly, the stickers are all still on there! :lol:

McCann_Can_Triple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2008, 8:30 pm

I’m a 360 opposite. I don’t have a CD or DVD that isn’t scratched or else lost. All my books have their spines broken and multiple pages are dog eared. Rarely does anything with a back (remote MP3 player) stay with a back for longer than week after it is bought. I tend to wind up breaking, losing (the whole thing or else pieces to it), scratching some item or another.

This isn’t something I do on purpose it just always seems to happen.

River: They say the snow on the roof is too heavy. They say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger. "

Hurley's mom "Jesus Christ is not a weapon."

GodsWonder
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Aug 2008, 8:36 pm

I am just like that, I do my best to keep things in pristeen condition and when something gets damages or signs of use then I see the object completely differently and it is no longer that special to me.

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2008, 10:28 pm

Even though i had a yard sale to sell everything i own, the only 2 things i didnt put up for sale was my book of hockey cards that i wasted a big chunk of my childhood on, and one of my video games, the rest of my wasted chldhood.

I do get upset when i break or scratch some of m stuff, for example my MP3 player, and it could take some time to get over it. Some stuff on the other hand, my dvd player doesnt burn anymore, oh well. Power supply is shot, guess i should get a new one before i sell it online, oh well.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 10:29 pm

That first scratch is heart breaking.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 1:08 am

I hate the first scratch. Everything after that is just meh though.

And I'm the same way when it comes to not seeing it in the same light. I just quit caring about how fancy it looks once that scratch is on there, and I'm more likely to just USE it.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 1:33 am

I used to be like this when I was a kid, it used to frustrate me. But nowadays I don't give a s**t.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 5:14 am

Yes, yes, I do this too!

Books, CDs, other things absolutely cannot have scratches or be damaged in some way.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 8:24 am

I just go mental at the first sign of damage :twisted:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 1:36 pm

Unless it ruins the functionality of the object (like breaking a case, scratching a CD or a screen, etc.), I don't care. I don't see that as particularly being aspie, though...I think that would miff just about anyone. In fact, I kind of like imperfections, it adds character, and makes it a lot easier to tell things apart when there's more than one (like if I need to tell which Nintendo DS belongs to who).

Though there do seem to be a lot of people who take care of their things like they don't care :x

Last edited by SabbraCadabra on 30 Aug 2008, 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 1:39 pm

-JR wrote:
For the longest time, I kept the sticker on every CD I purchased, the one that kind of "seals" the top of it, and has the name of the artist and band.

I hate those stickers with a passion. I always have to pick every last piece of it off, and depending on what conditions they met on the way from the distributor to the stores to my house, the glue can get pretty nasty. I can't stand when they leave adhesive behind, then you've got a dirty, hairy mess stuck to your DVDs :x

I've since learned that taking the sticker itself and sticking it to the spot and ripping it back off works pretty good.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 2:08 pm

To me it doesn't matter but when some damage has taken place in a short time after I purchased that thing, it irritates me because then I remember well I have recently spent money for it and now it's damaged, scratched, broken or whatever.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 2:27 pm

In elementary school, I used to be like that with pencils. I wanted to keep it as brand-new looking as I could, and I hated using a new eraser. I would try to write as perfectly as I could so I didn't make any mistakes that would require the use of an eraser.
But once I used the eraser, I didn't care anymore. Just another ruined pencil to use up.

I also keep all of my shoes wiped clean. And after I'm done wearing them, I wrap them in tissue paper and put them into the shoebox they came in. But once they start to wear out from use, I just treat them like I don't care. I'll just leave them on the floor. :roll:

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 11:01 pm

:lol:

usagi
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Aug 2008, 12:16 am

This is very interesting, I never thought of it. I indeed get upset with something gets a scratch or worse, it get broken, even if it doesn't diminishes the usefulness of the object. For example, I used to buy empty cd cases to replace the cases of CD that are broken, because a CD in a case that can't close firmly or have its "legs" off isn't as good. Heh.