auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 3:43 am

DeepBlueSouth wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^can you imitate justin wilson?

'Ah gua-RON-tee, mon ami!

I have actually considered a Youtube showcase of simple recipes presented in a kitchen setting so as to make one's friends think that they're a gourmet chef. Throw in some simple banter 'en francois' (Il fait tres chaud, n'es pas?) for laughs and authenticity. Many of the Cajun and/or Creole recipes I know are deceptively simple (and frugal), as well as many from other schools of cooking I've picked up over the years. The hardest part is cleaning up the kitchen afterwards, lol.

i always thought he was the most colorful of the tv chefs, which i coulda watched him more back in the day. i seldom get to eat fancy food, or at least food fancier than my staple of brown rice and soup. :|

Margrave
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Sep 2019, 6:20 am

Palek03 wrote:
I have Asperger's Syndrome (AS). I also have this odd accent on my voice that no one who hears it can identify it. Does anyone else on here with Aspergers, or another form of High functioning Autism, get told they have an accent that is seemingly unidentifiable while their parents have none?

Just wondering if this is a side effect of AS or if Im just special.

I'm not diagnosed with anything, but I have picked up traces of accents from various parts of the UK for no apparent reason. No-one can ever guess where I'm from. I think I just use sounds I thought sounded good, and then speak too fast so that I slur them a bit.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 6:27 am

I don't really know. My voice is flat, deep, monotone. When I'm not working there's a Southern elongation of vowel sounds. Working, just flat.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 8:01 am

I speak with a pretty stereotypical Mid-Atlantic accent, though I’ve picked up a few features of my father’s Australian accent. My R’s are a lot less rounded than most Americans, and I pronounce ‘been’ the same as ‘bean’. I also say ‘bloody’ a lot, which my friends all say sounds hilarious in my mostly-American accent.

#palestinianlivesmatter

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 8:06 am

People always ask me which country I come from and then act surprised when they find out the city in which I reside is the city I was born in and spend all my life in.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 8:08 am

What accent do people think you have?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 7:41 am

Zakatar wrote:
I speak with a pretty stereotypical Mid-Atlantic accent, though I’ve picked up a few features of my father’s Australian accent. My R’s are a lot less rounded than most Americans, and I pronounce ‘been’ the same as ‘bean’. I also say ‘bloody’ a lot, which my friends all say sounds hilarious in my mostly-American accent.

a lot of mid-western amuuuricans interpret soft Rs as a non-american accent.

psychogirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Sep 2019, 5:07 pm

I can sound very different across contexts. Usually it's a fairly young-sounding voice, mid to high pitched for an adult female, but when I'm with my counsellor my voice is a lot lower and more monotone - I don't know if that's what my actual, natural voice is. If I am around people with strong accents, I can't help but pick them up and it seems like I'm mocking them but I'm not.

DeepBlueSouth
Toucan
Toucan

22 Sep 2019, 2:11 am

auntblabby wrote:
DeepBlueSouth wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^can you imitate justin wilson?

'Ah gua-RON-tee, mon ami!

I have actually considered a Youtube showcase of simple recipes presented in a kitchen setting so as to make one's friends think that they're a gourmet chef. Throw in some simple banter 'en francois' (Il fait tres chaud, n'es pas?) for laughs and authenticity. Many of the Cajun and/or Creole recipes I know are deceptively simple (and frugal), as well as many from other schools of cooking I've picked up over the years. The hardest part is cleaning up the kitchen afterwards, lol.

i always thought he was the most colorful of the tv chefs, which i coulda watched him more back in the day. i seldom get to eat fancy food, or at least food fancier than my staple of brown rice and soup. :|

PM me and I can tell you about my secret shortcut to creole gumbo. I dated a vegan once, and she made a pretty ripping vegan gumbo. My shortcut recipe is definitely not vegan, but still very good (and simple).

“Politics is the art of controlling your environment.”
― Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 7:28 am

I don't think my accent is anything particularly different. I get told by some people it's posh but honestly, it is only a little bit and that's because my mum came from a private school. It does tend to get more posh when I'm stressed. However, I do tend to switch accent on random words for some reason such as Ireland and have no idea why.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 12:18 pm

Well this is priceless , class and accent . This explains some of the aweful things , i have lived through. Yes i have been told i talk with some sort of accent . Born and raised a yank , was privately schooled . Have found my vocabulary to be ,what appears to me as exceptional. And others apparently,thought so too . Am quite sure have been mistaken for being snooty . Just by opening my mouth.
Am suppose to have a high i.q. , but am only seeing differences in thought process . And periodically style .striving to fit in have an entire wardrobe of un-snooty lower class appearing clothing .
Its like wearing societal camoflauge . Also have midwestern ozark accent that turns on depending on situation. Find myself mimicking accents quite abit ..So says the pet cats , i have grown up with too.
LOOOLs when i am talking , i use what i think words are most apropriate . And not readily able to dumb down my diction , This has not served me well, Am speaking with high level professionals , whom do not have available vocabulary . That i normally use. Possibly causing predjudice against me by people in power. But inspite of it all will always be appreciating of my early formal schooling.
:heart: to all

where ever you go ,there you are

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 9:31 pm

^^^you sound talented :study: