Page 2 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2008, 1:04 am

Yes, and actually children can be diagnosed with schizophrenia - it's just a lot rarer than in adults/adolescents.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 9:27 am

Coadunate wrote:
I have been very interested in people with both Asperger’s and Schizophrenia for a very long time. In particular I am looking for any symptoms that most people with Asperger’s have but you do not. If you can name one or more of these symptoms I would be very grateful. Thank you.

I have been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia because I have been hearing voices and having strong visual hallucinations for the past four years. I have had four major hospital admissions where I have completely lost myself in delusions and hallucinations and couldn't do normal things like eat, look after myself and carry on a conversation, not to forget the daily self-harm and attacking the staff members. I have been sectioned three times, one of which occurred in a police station.

So my "flattened affect" (i.e. cannot show emotion) could be both the schizophrenia and the AS? Because it annoys my Mother and she keeps asking me why I am like that.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 9:31 am

Callista wrote:
Autism and schizophrenia have been mixed up in the past, and they continue to present a challenge for many psychologists. Many autistics spent years on antipsychotics because they were believed to have schizophrenia. The easiest way to tell them apart is to ask about childhood history. Autism will have a history going back at least to age 5, usually earlier. Schizohprenia will have its onset after age 15, earlier in men than women. Additionally, schizophrenia is often episodic; autism is either constant or changes as stress levels change or skills are gained and lost (CDD especially).

Similarities:
  • Disorganized speech in schizophrenia could be mixed up with the unusual speech patterns of an Aspie. The big difference seems to be that the disorganization in schizophrenia comes from disorganized thoughts, while the Aspie's speech is a more immediate problem with verbal expression.
  • Some Aspies have a flat affect (they don't express emotion well). That's also a symptom of schizophrenia.
  • A meltdown may remind a psychologist of some of the 'disorganized behavior' present in schizophrenia.
  • If you have very bad executive dysfunction, it could be read as avolition or disorganization.
  • Lack of or decline in speech is a negative symptom in schizophrenia, as well as autism.

In your specific case, though, none of those confounding factors would have been present. You were diagnosed with the paranoid subtype; so that means that the psychologist saw no disorganization, no thought disorder, and no negative symptoms. (You might also be encouraged to know that this is the subtype with the best prognosis for permanent remission, and the one that responds best to medical treatment.)

Sora's explanation of the possibility of having both AS and schizophrenia is exactly what I meant to say. :) If you have AS first, and then schizophrenia later, you can be diagnosed with both. It means your history is that of someone with Asperger's long before the onset of your schizophrenia-specific symptoms.

Thanks for this, it was very informative.
Yes, I have been diagnosed with the paranoid subtype (I am glad to hear that is the type that has the best prognosis), but I do have some problems with motivation/disorganisation and I have been told I definitely have flattened affect.
The AS appeared when I was around 11 years old (although I had behavioural problems as a kid) and the paranoid schizophrenia, I believe, truly started off when I was 14 (I'm nearly 19 now), although I was diagnosed at 15.
Thank you Callista, and thank you Sora.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 9:33 am

FireBird wrote:
I have been diagnosed with both autism and schizoaffective disorder. I don't agree with the schizoaffective diagnosis because it is rare for me to hear voices. I mean very rare. The only types of hallucinations I have are the tactile ones and occasionally mild visual hallucinations. The doctors think that I have "bizarre delusions" which basically that symptom alone can qualify you for the diagnosis. I feel things inside my body and when it was real bad, I tried to cut them out. I think they are these nano machines that can destroy your insides and kill you and they were implanted by the government. I love the gov! In fact my brother is thinking of joining the FBI so he can spy on me. That is the whole reason why he wants to join. Ain't that funny? Spy on your sister. Sometimes I think aliens are out to get me and that to them I am the "chosen one" or have a special purpose for them. When my symptoms are severe I wouldn't be able to communicate clearly as I am now, it would either be disorganized or total gibberish not real words. But communication problems can happen in autism, too. I'm so cold. The weather was bad today, it rained and I had a show outdoors, yeah these topics are linked in some way and now I am confused like usual. In the DSM V (which is coming out in 2011 at the earliest) they should add, Generalized Confusion Disorder because I have that. You wouldn't know that I was autistic by meeting me because I make direct eye to eye contact. When I was young, I mean many thousands of years ago, I didn't make eye to eye contact at all. I would scream if something changed or someone came too close to me. I no longer do that. I have an Asperger's friend that doesn't have bad symptoms at least that I am aware of. He is very nice. I am happy that I don't hear voices because that means the doctors are wrong!! ! When my "symptoms" are bad, I get something known as thought insertion. That is basically when you believe that someone else is putting thoughts into your head. I had thoughts from the government and the aliens for about a year now. A little over a year. They would accuse me of things that is impossible to do, they were threatening to kill me, one time they told me that my pills were poison and that caused me to stop taking them for a few days, and a few other weird things. It was NOT audible as in voices though just very powerful thoughts that ain't your own.

I can sympathise with you on this, I get things like this, although I hallucinate a LOT. And stress makes things worse, mind you.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 9:39 am

I've read about childhood schizophrenia being misdiagnosed as autism and vice versa. Very similar. I don't know how the psychiatrists differentiate unless it has something to do with delusions or hallucinations. Those two symptoms are usually needed by a psychiatrist before they label someone with "schizophrenia".

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 10:03 am

Yeah, but true schizophrenia in childhood is really rare. For every case of childhood schizophrenia, you'll find nearly 300 autistic children. It's the kind of thing you write journal articles about. Plus... childhood schizophrenia usually has onset at age 7 or later; autism is evident before 5.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 10:08 am

IMO they should just call all childhood schizophrenia autistic spectrum and make schizophrenia an age onset catagory, or they should should just put all of it, autism and schizophrenia on the autistic spectrum.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 10:09 am

That doesn't make much sense. A child having hallucinations and delusions is obviously not autistic.

Autism Memorial:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 10:10 am

For one thing, persons who develop schizophrenia often have soft signs in their youth. This reminds me of children with mild autism.

Erminea
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 11:08 am

Hi there,

SteelMaiden wrote or asked; "How many "traits" or "symptoms" do Asperger's and schizophrenia share?"

First; I find it a bit strange he tags you with both labels. I thought, one should exclude the other, (DSM-IV says so) although, I know, there are simularities. Commonalities.

I know I am not schizophrenic and it's probably easier to sum up some differences but that's not the question.

I quess:
~Both know real confusion, misinterpretations and frustration.
~Both have or better know ambiguity.
~Both can go into a somewhat passive state, sometimes. Even a sort of katatony state with a avolonish mindset without any intrinsic motivation.
~Aloofness is a trait said to be seen by both.
~Both can have delusions but the AS-er can detect them much better, I belief, and tries to be far more logical in solving the dillema(s). Sceptical even of his/her own thoughts, where someone with schizophrenia, tjah... seeks answers in maybe, some bizarre assumptions and is maybe more drawn to the occult, superstition and somewhat odd believes.
~Both know compulsion, of thought and maybe also of actions, not sure the Schizophrenic does.
~

Of course I'm no expert on the topic; it has my interest but I could be wrong on some points here.

Last, I like to say that psychologists/ shrinks think their field of work is an exact science. Which is wrong. Psychology isn't like physics or maths where one seeks empirical proof and, let's say, tests can be repeated (under the same conditions) and the results will be the same.

Shrinks are by definition arbitrary, it is his/her perspective of someone and some are real arrogant and do not seem to care that much about someone's wellbeing. Box-thinkers and easy taggers. Where I think we're all different and I dislike being boxed-up(?). I'm Ceesjan and that the only label that suit me right and the only label I accept to carry. Okay, I have a framework now and I learn everyday about autism in general and AS in perticular. Here on this Planet, from you guys and of course my own studies, out of books or internet. It's a fascinating trip....

Best of luck,
C.

Last edited by Erminea on 21 Sep 2008, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 11:11 am

If a cat or dog sees/hears it, it's not a hallucination.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 11:42 am

Callista wrote:
That doesn't make much sense. A child having hallucinations and delusions is obviously not autistic.

It makes sense if you remember that children are naturally imaginative and explore this imaginatory world as part of a developmental phase. That's why diagnosing schizophrenia in childhood is so tentative. For instance, how many kids have imaginary friends?
Just because a child believes an imaginary friend is real means the child is having a delusion and could be schizophrenic?

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 11:47 am

alba wrote:
If a cat or dog sees/hears it, it's not a hallucination.

animals hallcinate as well.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 11:52 am

I like this [extremely] basic comparison:

People with Schizophrenia are unsure if what they experience is real or not (seeing, thinking, hearing, etcetera), whereas the person with Asperger's/Autism doesn't realize that people have different thoughts from her own (i.e., she doesn't behave as if other people are unique individuals in the "mild" cases, to appearing as if people don't exist at all in the "severe" cases).

There are social deficits in Scizophrenia (mainly Schizoid behaviour), as well as the "flat affect", and these can mimic Asperger's/Autism, but the social deficits in the latter are more severe/profound, and with a whole slew of extra stuff attached.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 11:53 am

i do not think AS and schizophrenia could co-exist.

to be schizophrenic is to have no sense of self.
their self becomes absorbed in the wash of reality, and they lose control and become scared.
they are swamped by the waves of existence because they have no self boundaries.

autistics are very fortified and are not prone to melt into the foundations of their standing.

the coexistence of the 2 in a single person is hard for me to imagine.

that is my opinion only.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 1:15 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Callista wrote:

It makes sense if you remember that children are naturally imaginative and explore this imaginatory world as part of a developmental phase. That's why diagnosing schizophrenia in childhood is so tentative. For instance, how many kids have imaginary friends?
Just because a child believes an imaginary friend is real means the child is having a delusion and could be schizophrenic?
It's a matter of degree. Children normally have what would be delusions if they were adults. The difference between "imaginary friend is real" and "imaginary friend is plotting with my teacher to kill my mother" is a lot of distress and a long distance from the norm.

Autism Memorial: