Should I go ahead with this self diagnosis?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Apr 2015, 2:36 pm

I have found out, that I meet the criteria for 'Childhood Disintegrative Disorder' even tough I am now a high functioning high IQ ASD individual. Based on the real life stories and symptons my mom told me, here is how I scored even at current functioning:
299.10 Childhood Disintegrative Disorder
A. Apparently normal development for at least the first 2 years after birth as manifested by the presence of age-appropriate verbal and nonverbal communication, social relationships, play, and adaptive behavior.

B. Clinically significant loss of previously acquired skills (before age 10 years) in at least two of the following areas (I regressed at age approx. 2 1/2 years):

(1) expressive or receptive language (I became nonverbal very quickly and my parents thought I went deaf).

(2)social skills or adaptive behavior(I did not want to talk to people and I remember pushing people and crying. My parents considerd my behavior to be bizzare like running around the house flapping my hands as well as putting Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars around my ears and tapping on the cars.)

(3) bowel or bladder control

(4) play (I used to play with my brother. But when my regression struck me, I did not like playing anymore. Instead of playing with Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars the way a normal kid does, I put it around my ears.)

(5) motor skills

C. Abnormalities of functioning in at least two of the following areas (This is what I have to meet NOW at current functioning):

(1) qualitative impairment in social interaction (e.g., impairment in nonverbal behaviors, failure to develop peer relationships, lack of social or emotional reciprocity) (I have some BUT not all social deficits that most of you with Aspergers or HFA face)

(2) qualitative impairments in communication (e.g., delay or lack of spoken language, inability to initiate or sustain a conversation, stereotyped and repetitive use of language, lack of varied make-believe play) (I did not speak again until I was 5 years old.Whenever I want to socialize, I do not talk tough I want to. I am not sure if this is elective mutism. I stuble halfway when speaking. Tough I know how things excatly feel, I never know how to express it in real world words. I repeat like a parrot and make up wierd words like "Stroubleomboneone.")

(3) restricted, repetitive, and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, including motor stereotypies and mannerisms (I have OCD, I have intellectual Aspergers obsessions. Right now my obsession is the Autism Spectrum Disorders. I have obsessive fear.)

DD. The disturbance is not better accounted for by another specific pervasive developmental disorder or by schizophrenia. (In the DSMIV criteria for "299.00 Autistic Disorder", section C says, "C. The disturbance is not better accounted for by Rett's disorder or childhood disintegrative disorder."CDD regresses after normal or near normal development.)
This is from DSMIV. Other resources I used to back this upa are the following: 'Comment' section of Leo Kanner's 1943 paper (http://simonsfoundation.s3.amazonaws.co ... ontact.pdf), Thedore Heller's 1908 studies, Temple Gradin's book Thinking in Pictures, ICD10 criteria for 'Other Childhood Disintegrative Disorder (F84.3)',and the Interactive Autism
Network(:http://iancommunity.org/cs/about_asds/childhood_disintegrative_disorder_cdd)
As for Temple Gradin, I do fit her criteria for CDD. This is because I barley have any cognitive deficits (my IQ is 137) but I have more severe sensory issues like I freak out with even little dogs. I also have a more severe speech pathology like I do not know how to express how I feel in real world language tough I can reflect the feeling very well (ie tasting a beer), repeating like a parrot, and saying stuff like 'Sweboulenee', which not even aspies do that.
DSM IV is dead and is no longer invalid. Anyway, I am not going to use the diagnosis officially and because again, DSMIV is dead, it is impossible. I am using this diagnosis ONLY to know more about myself and why I have the problems that affect my functioning.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 6:53 pm

A self-diagnosis would do you little good, as it would not entitle you to receive benefits or preferential treatment in education, employment, or housing.

Only am appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health professional can make an official diagnosis of an ASD, and only after testing and observing you over several in-person counseling sessions. Online tests can not provide an objective ASD diagnosis, either.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 7:08 pm

You can´t diagnose yourself that way. It takes a professional and like Fnord says- online tests are not professional batteries.
If you really want to be as sure, as we can be in this world, I´d suggest at least a screening-session, if you don´t want to go through the full monty.
It is not too expensive and it would give you a pretty good hint. You should bring the facts, you wrote here, of course.

GoofyGreatDane
Raven
Raven

08 Apr 2015, 7:37 pm

I don't think you have childhood disintegrative disorder. When it occurs, it is usually presents like severe LFA and stays that way. You evidently progressed significantly after the regression - and before the age of 10. So I don't think you fully meet the criteria of "significant loss of previously acquired skills before the age of 10". The regression in CDD is typically very severe and does not turn around.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 7:40 pm

I can't get an AS diagnosis because my mom has a rock heart and she would say something like "No you're not autistic stop finding excuses for your laziness and awkwardness and do something of your life!"

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 7:43 pm

Self awareness takes research and multiple screening tests. Hold on to all your findings including those you included in your post. You might find that future research or testing negates it, or confirms it. The bottom line is that all evidence can help you steer to your expected or desired goal. Dismiss nothing at this point. You are doing this for yourself, certainly not for others.

Good luck! :)

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Apr 2015, 8:23 pm

GoofyGreatDane wrote:
I don't think you have childhood disintegrative disorder. When it occurs, it is usually presents like severe LFA and stays that way. You evidently progressed significantly after the regression - and before the age of 10. So I don't think you fully meet the criteria of "significant loss of previously acquired skills before the age of 10". The regression in CDD is typically very severe and does not turn around.

I did not speak again until I was 5 years old. Even then, my parents still had to question me to make me speak. When I was 6, I was diagnosed as Asperger's Syndrome based on my functioning from that point on. I did recover in social skills to a degree before my 10th birthday. In the few years before I turned 10, I progressed even more and particpated in things normal kids do like watch Pokemon and Play Video games. So does that mean I do not fit the criteria for CDD because I recovered and regained some my skills and functioning before my 10th birthday? Does the loss of skills mean definate loss of skills with little to no recovery in CDD?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 8:41 pm

I guess we are back at the point on WP where we automatically cast suspicion that what the person thinks they have is probably wrong.

Despite what is constantly said there some online tests that are not totally useless. Those published by reputable universities represent a starting point to seek further information.

For people demanding absolute proof it is quite the double standard to make a judgment on intent based on one persons post especially a nervous newbie's first post. Is there anything the OP wrote that indicates he or she is seeking benefits or services? Many people who have discovered something that might fit themselves don't even know the options, never mind seeking benefits.

As OP for the AspieUtah has good advice

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Apr 2015, 9:09 pm

I have not heard a case of CDD that is high functioning. So basically, if I TRULY had Childhood Disintegrative Disorder, I would of been extactly like that low functioning autistic man in the video below by now. Is that really correct?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 9:18 pm

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
I can't get an AS diagnosis because my mom has a rock heart and she would say something like "No you're not autistic stop finding excuses for your laziness and awkwardness and do something of your life!"
Your mom seems a lot like my dad. He said something similar when I self-identified as a 'Nerd' back in the early 1970s.

A self-diagnosis might actually help you feel better about yourself; but without an 'official' confirmation, that's about all the diagnosis will do for you.

And feeling good about yourself goes a long way toward a healthy life!

(Every time I see your user name, I get hungry for a plate of fried potatoes covered in gravy and cheddar cheese!)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 9:20 pm

GoldTails95 wrote:
I have not heard a case of CDD that is high functioning. So basically, if I TRULY had Childhood Disintegrative Disorder, I would of been extactly like that low functioning autistic man in the video below by now. Is that really correct? ...
Know what? I think you'll do just fine, here no matter what the diagnosis is and who makes it.

Welcome aboard!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 1:54 am

Jensen wrote:
You can´t diagnose yourself that way. It takes a professional and like Fnord says- online tests are not professional batteries.
If you really want to be as sure, as we can be in this world, I´d suggest at least a screening-session, if you don´t want to go through the full monty.
It is not too expensive and it would give you a pretty good hint. You should bring the facts, you wrote here, of course.

One cannot officially diagnoses them-self, but pretty sure the OP can self diagnoses that way all they want.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 1:56 am

GoldTails95 wrote:
GoofyGreatDane wrote:

I did not speak again until I was 5 years old. Even then, my parents still had to question me to make me speak. When I was 6, I was diagnosed as Asperger's Syndrome based on my functioning from that point on. I did recover in social skills to a degree before my 10th birthday. In the few years before I turned 10, I progressed even more and particpated in things normal kids do like watch Pokemon and Play Video games. So does that mean I do not fit the criteria for CDD because I recovered and regained some my skills and functioning before my 10th birthday? Does the loss of skills mean definate loss of skills with little to no recovery in CDD?

And what if it wasn't the autism specifically that caused the not speaking for a while?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 2:02 am

What is the point of diagnosing yourself with Childhood anything at the age of 20 (at least, that's the age that's under your username)?

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 3:06 am

DailyPoutine1 wrote:

WOW! Isn´t there an adult at school, you could confide in,- talk to? Someone, whom you trust? Someone, who knows you, like the class teacher?

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 3:22 am

I think, the OP is trying to get the whole picture, which involves childhood history.

There are many grey/borderline areas, but the suggested dysfunction seems somewhat more definite, than others. There are grades and shades of classic autism, infantile, PDNos and so on.
More severe aspies, esp. those that borders to infantile autism, can certainly regress and lose language for years.

Doubts about, what kind of a fish, you are, can take up much energy, so it is not a bad idea to have it clarified.
Go ahead OP.

Last edited by Jensen on 09 Apr 2015, 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.