Do you take a stimulant WITH an anti-depressant?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 5:05 pm

Does anyone out there use this combination with success? I just read that some people respond better to a lower dosage of a stimulant coupled with a low dosage of an anti-depressant.

My son's stimulants often lose effectiveness after a while.

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2008, 8:17 pm

I take Ritalin for the ADD and Cymbalta for Panic Disorder. I've been prescribed this combo for about 2 years and have found it works fairly well. I do take a bit of xanax if I have a serious PA.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 8:20 pm

Yes, but I think it depends on what antidepressant you're on like MOI Inhibitors. I probably shouldn't be taking any but I'm so tired all the time. Anyway, I've never had any side-effects.......yet.

Vangeli
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Sep 2008, 8:21 pm

Legitiment post #2...

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 8:29 pm

Yes, I take a coffe as a stimulant and a cigarette as an antidepressant to ease my uncharitaristic perfect genetoc balance of energy and happiness for the benifit of the american people. Is this odd?

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 9:09 pm

"I got a humidifier and a dehumidifier for Christmas. I didn't know what to do, so I put them in a room and let them fight it out. Then I put wax in the humidifier, and made the room all shiney" - Steven Wright.Sorry, just sounds like a strange combo to me...

Since
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2008, 10:33 pm

Yeah, why would a depressant and a stimulant play nice together?
The human body is strange and nonsensical.

FernMayo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Sep 2008, 10:52 pm

I've taken effexor xr for 3 years now at a fairly high dose--had a major depressive episode in high school. The higher dose of the effexor also helps with anxiety and ocd like behaviors. I've taken concerta for 2 years for inattentive add. My mood is much more stabilized and I have some energy/motivation to go about my day. I haven't had any negative effects. But meds won't do it alone.. I definately need like a life coach or something.

FernMayo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Sep 2008, 10:58 pm

And I'm not sure, it kind of seems its being suggested that a stimulant and an anti depressant are opposites? I don't think I agree with that.. Id say the odd combo would be taking a stimulant with a depressant..like ritalin with valium or xanax. And even being an odd combo I'd say that it's not that unusual to take a depressant to take some of the edge off of the stimulant? I mean you're family doc isn't going to prescribe such a combination..def need to see a psychiatrist who will monitor the effects of the meds.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 6:57 am

I ask because I've seen the depressive effects of certain stimulants in my son -- whereas one stimulant HELPS, but is losing its effectiveness. In terms of my son's Inattentive ADD, my research has come up with this combo of low stimulant with low anti-depressant, and after observing him for a while, I really think that combo could be helpful.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 8:25 am

Yes, ritalin, citalopram and lorazepam.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 8:58 am

I take Zoloft and drink coffee.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 4:03 am

fresco wrote:
Yes, ritalin, citalopram and lorazepam.
That's some combination... stimulant, antidepressant and depressant!

I take Celexa (citalopram) and never used to drink coffee much because I didn't like the taste, but it makes me feel so good I'm thinking of drinking it all the time.