Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2008, 4:56 pm

What is the chance that a child of a person with AS will also have AS?

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 5:16 pm

ok im trying to answer this easily without picking apart your question too much, sorry it is a habit.

i think if a parent has it, a child has it.

and that is the end of the answer to the question. the child.....WILL in my opinion HAVE AS.

however , if a parent has it and a child has it, the question should be, what is the chances of the child being diagnosed with AS?

and the answer is: 9 times more if the child is male.

point is?

there is no objective test to diagnose AS

there is no way of knowing if a child will develop AS from an AS parent.

however i will end with this.....i am AS ( i dont have it, its not something im afflicted with, it is something i am)
My son is AS]my father is AS.

so thr force is strong in my family.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 5:58 pm

In terms of genetics, I think it would make sense to equate it to all genetic qualities...depending on which traits both parents share. I have one aspie child and one who is not. One like him and one like me, in almost every way, mannerisms, personality, physical traits, coloring...almost everything.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 6:02 pm

The real question is:

Is there anyone in both sides of the family that has any form of autism of any level? If so, these genes WILL be carried by everyone down the line. They just remain dormant. The chances then are the same as determining the gender of the baby.

Why do you think doctors nearly always ask "Is there a history of <X> in the family?"

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 6:53 pm

Until we understand the cause/s of AS better, we cannot know.

In the most simple case, a single gene for which there are only two alleles would determine the presence or not of AS, and the AS allele would be dominate. In that case, and barring any other complicating factor, a child of a parent with AS would have a 50% chance of inheriting the dominate AS allele and therefore AS. Any child who did not develop AS in this scenario, would also not inherit the allele for AS and so could not 'pass it down' to their descendants.

Even in an instance where there is still only one allele that causes AS, and one that does not, but the AS allele is recessive, things get more complicated. If there is only one parent with AS, their child/ren have 100% chance of inheriting a copy of the AS allele, however, they will only have AS if their other parent has a copy of the allele and pases it on to them. If the other parent has a copy of the allele, the child has a 50% chance of inheriting it and AS. If the other parent does not have an AS allele, the child would have a 0% chance of having AS, even though they would have a 100% chance of inheriting a single AS allele, and a 50% chance of passing it on to any of their off-spring.

Things get more complicated if there are multiple genes involved, and especially if the genes are spread across multiple chromosomes. Even more complexity is involved if more than one set of causal factors produce the 'trait/characteristic cluster' described by 'AS'.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:37 pm

I can't speak for others, but it appears that I have it. It also appears that I passed it on to both my kids. All 3 of us have our far share of quirkiness. I would think genetically it would be 1 in 4 that would have it. At least, that's the normal ratio for things like blue eyes....assuming that AS works in a similar manner. But since there isn't much known about it yet, it could have some other way of manifesting.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:54 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
I can't speak for others, but it appears that I have it. It also appears that I passed it on to both my kids. All 3 of us have our far share of quirkiness. I would think genetically it would be 1 in 4 that would have it. At least, that's the normal ratio for things like blue eyes....assuming that AS works in a similar manner. But since there isn't much known about it yet, it could have some other way of manifesting.

I do not think that makes sense. :?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 8:14 pm

You can't use one-gene things like blue eyes to determine likelihood of AS because AS has multiple genes involved.

My family:

Mother: Asperger's
Father #1: Autistic
Father #2: NT

Child 1, of father #1: Asperger's
Child 2, of father #1: NT
Child 3, of father #3: Asperger's

See? Not that simple. You can have two autistic parents and and NT child, and you can have an autistic parent with an NT parent and have an autistic child anyway.

More proof that simple Mendelian genetics doesn't work with autism:

Odds of autistic child: 1:150.
Odds given a sibling has ASD: 1:20
Odds given identical twin has ASD: 19 in 20.

Siblings share 50% of DNA
Twins share 100% of DNA

Having only half the genes of someone who has autism is only 1/19th as powerful as having all of the genes the same as someone with autism
All found possible genetic markers seem to be correlated only with very small percentages of autism cases-- 1-3% (excluding Rett's)

Probably true:
Not all autistic people have all the possible genetic risk factors for autism
Many NTs have genes for autism despite not being autistic
Genetic risk factors for autism are very numerous and most autistics do not share the same ones
A certain 'load' is necessary to pass diagnostic threshold

Complicated.

Have not yet heard of a survey of autistic parents. Possibly has not been done because it would almost certainly be worthless: Adults are much more likely to be diagnosed with autism if their children were diagnosed first.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 8:20 pm

pandd wrote:
tomboy4good wrote:

I do not think that makes sense. :?

DESPITE what "experts" indicate, it is clear that the gene/genes are NOT on the Y chromosome, or any similar sex linked part. The apparent anecdotal evidence indicates that it is probably DOMINANT! Blue eyes are RECESSIVE! Dominant means it is 1 in 2 if only one person has it, and 3 in 4 if both have it.

If one person has the ASD gene(Recessive would mean 1/2 could only be a carrier, and the other wouldn't be)

AN=ASD
NN=NT

If both have the ASD gene(Recessive would mean 1/4 would have it, 1/2 would be only a carrier, and 1/4 wouldn't have it)

AN=ASD
AA=ASD
NA=ASD
NN=NT

Of course, WHO KNOWS how it will play out. There are at least 3 sets of major skills, and probably at least 3 variants of that, and certainly different levels. So they could seem stupid, pretty normal, or very smart.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 8:21 pm

tomboy4good wrote:

The 1 in 4 ratio holds for a recessive autosomal trait when both parents have only one copy of the affected gene (so neither parent would have blue eyes actually but would carry the trait). So if AS is caused by a single gene, and you have one copy and your husband has one copy (neither of you would have AS in this case), then the odds would be 1 in 4 of passing on the trait to offspring. Clearly, AS does not work this way however, as then it would be child's play for a geneticist to work out the inheritance pattern, and we would understand the genetics of AS much better than we do today.

Other possible combinations if AS were caused by a single autosomal recessive gene: If you had the trait (2 copies of the gene), and your husband did not have AS but was a carrier (1 copy of gene), then there would be a 50% chance of transmission of the trait. If you had the trait, and your husband did not and was not a carrier, there would be a 0% chance. If you and he both had 2 copies of the gene, the chances would be 100% of transmission to offspring. This is barring mutations of course. But since AS almost certainly does not behave in this way, and we don't actually understand how the genetic component of it works, then there is no way to know the odds of passing it on to one's kids.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 8:26 pm

...other than studying a bunch of autistic couples to see whether they pass it on, and at what rate...

But this is problematic .

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:06 pm

The Roulette of AS topic

My three children are NT. Very NT.

My brother is Tourettes. My sister Attention deficit. But their personalities are NT.

One grandfather had Aspie traits as did a great-grandfather. Some more distant relatives were quirky.

You just can never know for sure. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

25 Sep 2008, 10:04 am

This is what I wonder if my AS partner and I have children (I have AS too).

He already has three children; one with AS, one with autism (both of which from the same mother, who recently got diagnosed with AS), and one who may have AS but we don't get to see her.

I don't know what could happen. It's probable that the child would "have something". I don't even know if I want to put a child through what I went through. Though I suppose it would be different because the child would be surrounded by those who are alike and in the know.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 10:31 am

I am no expert on genetics. I am still learning about Aspergers & how it manifests itself. So if I do make a mistake about how it is passed on, please forgive me! I am adopted & have little knowledge about my biological parents. If Aspergers is genetic, then it means that at least on of my parents had it in order for me to pass it on to my children. My thoughts are based on personal observations & memories. Nothing is written in stone for me regarding this subject. I am curious about it, & doing my best to learn as much as I can so I can better help my 2 kids so they can get along & adapt as best they can.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 10:47 am

For Autism, I think the latest figure is a 50% chance of it being passed on. They base it on fairly broad assumptions however, i.e., females can inherit the disorder, but the symptoms don't always manifest (the 5 to 1 male/female ratio), and they can pass it on to their children in the 50/50 manner, and if it's a boy, the boy will have the full disorder.

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 2:39 pm

pandd wrote:
Until we understand the cause/s of AS better, we cannot know.

In the most simple case, a single gene for which there are only two alleles would determine the presence or not of AS, and the AS allele would be dominate. In that case, and barring any other complicating factor, a child of a parent with AS would have a 50% chance of inheriting the dominate AS allele and therefore AS. Any child who did not develop AS in this scenario, would also not inherit the allele for AS and so could not 'pass it down' to their descendants.

Even in an instance where there is still only one allele that causes AS, and one that does not, but the AS allele is recessive, things get more complicated. If there is only one parent with AS, their child/ren have 100% chance of inheriting a copy of the AS allele, however, they will only have AS if their other parent has a copy of the allele and pases it on to them. If the other parent has a copy of the allele, the child has a 50% chance of inheriting it and AS. If the other parent does not have an AS allele, the child would have a 0% chance of having AS, even though they would have a 100% chance of inheriting a single AS allele, and a 50% chance of passing it on to any of their off-spring.

Things get more complicated if there are multiple genes involved, and especially if the genes are spread across multiple chromosomes. Even more complexity is involved if more than one set of causal factors produce the 'trait/characteristic cluster' described by 'AS'.

I think you are right in all this, but, notice AS is called a syndrome, what suggests multiple causes may generate it. Thus, for one it can be inherited by a group of genes, for other by another group, end, for another person, causes may not be genetical but aquired. Adding this, AS is very probablly not one thing but includes a large group of peculiarities.