Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

stripey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Sep 2008, 7:19 am

I feel invisible most of the time and i am 6ft and 16 stone.

When i am at the bar to get served i am often overlooked.

When i walk along the street people walk towards me and make no effort to move out the way.

When i am at work i am overlooked for promotion e.t.c.

Is it just me.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:24 am

i feel that way too sometimes, i am 6 foot as well.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:27 am

Stripey, at work maybe you should try to get noticed. You should let them know it's about time you got promoted or a raise or whatever.
Unfortunately, I don't share this. I get noticed all the time. People watch me constantly. I really wish they would lay off. I get the impression they consider me to be in a constant state of irritation and they try to keep me calm, lol. Really, I'm not that bad!

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:31 am

I went through a stage like this. It is a haunting feeling. It motivates one to hunt for attention, which usually merits undesirable attention.

I suspect it will probably pass without much ado.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:33 am

Sometimes I feel invisible. :s

ducasse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2008, 7:43 am

i only feel invisible when i'm trying to order a pint, but sometimes i feel inaudible as people talk right over me apparently without even noticing i've said something. i don't think i even speak that quietly.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:49 am

stripey wrote:
I feel invisible most of the time and i am 6ft and 16 stone.

When i am at the bar to get served i am often overlooked.

When i walk along the street people walk towards me and make no effort to move out the way.

When i am at work i am overlooked for promotion e.t.c.

Is it just me.

If you want people to get out of the way on the sidewalk, look down at their feet - that way, they're forced to take evasive action since they presume that if you haven't seen them, you won't take evasive action. Eye contact is mutual acknowledgement that you've seen one another.
Works a treat - and the worst case scenario is that you were just being dozey.

At the bar, just shout GARCON !

At work, start being really bossy - you know, start managing people .... just not your boss.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:11 am

it is a usefull skill to have to be AS, 6 foot and "invisible"

i wouldnt try to change it.

but it is an interesting observation.

when you look at photos of As, usually men with AS you notice what i call a "lack of intent" there is avoidance of eye gaze/contact.
little or no attempt to smile or "interact" with the camera.

this lack of intent is perceived by non-AS as a non communicative facial exprssion.
they caanot read , or decipher it, so in a busy area like a bar they scan faces and without realising it, ignore you.

i dont htink it is deliberate, it is non-AS human nature, remember they are making an attempt to make a connection with others, it is what non-AS do, it is a distuinguishing feature of AS versus non-AS.
no connection , or receipt of "connection" facial expression they blank you and move on.

it does feel like we are invisible but it can be explained and understood, and, once identified we can adapt.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:16 am

6' and 16 stone as well; and yes, I do often feel socially 'invisible.'

The only cure is to show some bling and/or cold hard cash, then it seems that everyone wants to be my friend.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:56 am

I would NEVER waste my money trying to buy people's friendships. You are much, MUCH better off putting that money away and saving it for yourself.
Spending money on the wrong people is a big mistake!

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 1:58 pm

Sometimes i feel like nobody sees me. but usally i just make sure they do.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 2:22 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I would NEVER waste my money trying to buy people's friendships. You are much, MUCH better off putting that money away and saving it for yourself. Spending money on the wrong people is a big mistake!

Oh, I quite agree! Note that I used the word 'flash' and not 'spend' in my post. This is because I learned something from my dating days; that if a woman leads a man on with the promise of sex, she can get his money. So I turned it around and found that a man can just as easily lead a woman on with the promise of money in order to have sex with her. This is not an absolute rule, but it works more often than not!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ChristinaCSB
Toucan
Toucan

24 Sep 2008, 2:31 pm

Yeah hardly anybody wants to f*cking talking to me.

Since
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Sep 2008, 2:51 pm

I kind of feel the opposite, just this paranoid notion that everybody's intently taking stock. You know, "This will all go on the report" style. It's a problem.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 3:11 pm

I am invisible. No one can see me. I am on the other side of the glass...an observer. 8)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 4:00 pm

claire333 wrote:
I am invisible. No one can see me. I am on the other side of the glass...an observer. 8)

I thought I felt another presence...