Do you walk around in the house looking for something to do?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 11:03 am

I often wonder around the house especially when I got the house to myself. It seems like I just cant keep still for a long period of time. Sometimes I hop up out of my seat and walk just to think.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 12:50 pm

Walking (pacing) can be a form of stimming. A lot of people here, including me, stim by pacing.

daAn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Sep 2008, 1:14 pm

i do...like a lot 8O

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 1:51 pm

I also do "refridgerator inventory" where I open the fridge several times a day for no other reason than to stare into it. Actually its kind of a strange obsession that I have. When I was younger I would open other peoples refridgerators....I finally learned that it was rude. Im still compelled to do so though.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 3:07 pm

I end up pacing back and forth while listening to music while hitting my hand against my side 8O

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

29 Sep 2008, 3:14 pm

I sort of do the same.

Aguila
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2008, 8:36 pm

I pace back and forth and also wander around aimlessly.

liloleme wrote: I also do "refridgerator inventory" where I open the fridge several times a day for no other reason than to stare into it.

I do that too!!

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 9:23 pm

when I was younger and no internet yes...

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 9:27 pm

Yeah, I do that. Especially when I'm home alone, too.
I don't do "refrigerator inventory"... but I do do cabinet inventory...

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 9:31 pm

hmmm, I thought it was only me

NJwlss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2008, 10:42 pm

i wander around with a small cup of water or juice around my home frequently.

Nachtus01
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Sep 2008, 1:21 am

I do it too.
I have a whole list of things that I do to stim, and it seems to be growing. :lol:
I cannot stand to sit still, to me it is an "non-productive" thing, and I feel like I need to be productive. For this reason, I cannot sit and watch TV without ding something else at the same time. The only time I am "allowed", or "not required" to do something else while watching TV, is if I am watching something educational. Apparently, my brain sees learning as something productive. I smoke outside my home, and when I do, I have to pace. I cannot just sit there and smoke, or stand there, I must keep moving, even if its only a circular path, I must move.

http://asirony.blogspot.com/

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 1:57 am

yes, in my case it's called hyperactivity. I could use a running wheel like that one for hamsters lol, but most of the time I'd just pace around or go for a jog.

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 2:45 am

I used to, then I started playing World of Warcraft.

Now I walk around the whole of Azeroth and Outland looking for something to do (and swap between my characters frequently, looking for something they could be doing, too).

When I need to take a 'bio' break (toilet, food/drink), I do inventory my fridge though. It's something that needs doing, to remove food that's going off, and remind you that you should go and buy certain things that aren't there. You can't do that if you just open it for the small amount of time it takes to remove one item.

johnners
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2008, 1:26 pm

I'm terrible for just standing in the middle of the room and wondering what to do next. What annoys me even more is not being able to concentrate on anything for longer than about 10 minutes, I just flit from one unfinished project to the next. The only things I seem to be able to complete is housework, but that's only because I get very frutrated and despondent if the house doesn't look tidy.

Also my memory seems poor. My wife will say something to me, and a short time later I've already forgotten, or if I'm trying to read something or follow a film, I'm having to wrack my brains trying to remember what happened 10 minutes earlier.

I do the fridge inventory too, but really because I have an urge to comfort-eat and if there wasn't anything I wanted in the fridge 20 minutes ago, there still isn't now, but I'll still look!

I believe these are all signs of depression, which, in itself, is dperessing. When I was taking Prozac, my memory and concentration improved 100% and I hardly ever comfort-ate.

AGMorehouse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Sep 2008, 2:37 pm

Man, and I thought I was the only one who did this! Whenever I am bored out of my skull- mostly when we are at my grandma's house- I tend to walk out to the front yard for almost no reason, just wondering what to do next. This irritates my Mom because she always calls me, and then when I walk in, she asks me what I was doing. I usually tell her just had nothing to do. Sometimes I tend to multitask leaving my other project unfinished (and this applies to my schoolwork). Sometimes I'll sit on the steps of our new house and wonder what to do next.

This habit annoys me because I feel like I ALWAYS need to do something. :x

you will jouney from boy to man