High notes of the singing Neanderthals

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2005, 8:50 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 26,00.html

Interesting article. I am partially obsessed with Neandertals. :)

Rekkr
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2005, 2:34 pm

I like Neanderthals too... I hope they were our ancestors (even though DNA tests show otherwise). Maybe the DNA traces have changed to different forms since then. I believe it could be possible that they are our ancestors because we have so many similarities with them.

I saw another article somewhere which showed a Neaderthal flute. It had four notes which rang out do ra mi fa. This is very interesting because it suggests our music originated with the Neanderthals (either that or we both discovered the same notes).

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2005, 4:59 pm

Rekkr wrote:
I like Neanderthals too... I hope they were our ancestors (even though DNA tests show otherwise). Maybe the DNA traces have changed to different forms since then. I believe it could be possible that they are our ancestors because we have so many similarities with them.

One popular theroy among historians is that as neanderthals were dying off as they were being over run by the crow magnons (who are the first 'true' homo-sapiens, according to my history professor), is that the remaning neanderthals mated with the crow magnons and had children with mixed traits of both.

So it is possible that we have neanderthal genes in us

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2005, 5:51 pm

That would be Anthropologists Scoots5012 heeh. historians cover recent humans. As for a history professer saying this sure if they are repeating what an Anthropologist was saying about this. But not as an historian this is outside there field of study.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2005, 8:21 pm

V111 wrote:
That would be Anthropologists Scoots5012

LOL, I take that to be another mistake made by a professor of mine.

He also made a second omission/mistake as he was going over population stats in class today. He said that since 100,000 years ago the human population has been steadily growing at a near exponentional rate.

However he failed to mention the population squeeze that happened 75,000 years ago when the human population was forced down to a few thousand.

And in monday science class, my professor said she would show us "Slides of Mt. St. Helens when it blew it's top off in 1996"

1996.......?

Staying on topic here
http://www.archaeology.org/online/news/neanderkid.html