Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 8:14 pm

I can't seem to be able to express a normal emotion during a circumstance that would call for that emotion!

My daughter is born, nery a tear shed. Nothing, nada.

Watching that episode of House where the mother drowns and later suffocates her newborn baby. Nothing.

The Burger King training video where the employee is helping out someone in a wheelchair, waterworks.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 8:25 pm

I doubt there is anything wrong with you. You just experience things the way you do.

Personally, the more emotive an issue, the less I am able to process and respond to it quickly. Hence I appear to have stronger reactions to marginal emotional stimuli, and appear to have no reaction to strong emotional stimuli.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Oct 2008, 8:25 pm

So the real question is WHAT does cause emotion? And what kind of emotion? And does this happen every time?

The former things have passed away."

Rodent
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2008, 8:28 pm

Isn't this sort of thing standard for people on the Autism spectrum? I mean, I'm pretty sure it's part of the diagnosis, right?

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 8:30 pm

I don't know what the real question is. I know I generally have a time delay for my emotions. Not always. And when I think I know how I will respond to an upcoming event, I am often surprised.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 8:31 pm

I have never cried tears of joy. I wanted to at the birth of my daughter.

Though, I have to admit, there was a few times that I cried when I was holding her when she was a newborn in a rocking chair near her crib listening to "All the Pretty Horses"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIt3RsXgYDc[/youtube]

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 8:36 pm

Don't feel bad, you're not alone.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 8:47 pm

I think there are times we function through our logic, and times we function through our emotions.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 8:52 pm

digger1 wrote:
I have never cried tears of joy. I wanted to at the birth of my daughter.

Though, I have to admit, there was a few times that I cried when I was holding her when she was a newborn in a rocking chair near her crib listening to "All the Pretty Horses"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIt3RsXgYDc[/youtube]

WOW, most males DON'T cry! And WHO CARES if you cried at the birth of your daughter? Did you care for your wife? Do you care for her and your daughter? Do you love them? That is ALL anyone should ask for. You are male, and should NOT be expected to cry. Show it in other ways. They should have MORE appreciation for a caring person that doesn't cry than a non caring one that does. BTW this might seem sexist, but I AM male and I know the expectations, etc... at least in the US. I LIVE those expectations. Even if I do so well because I have AS, it is STILL valid for many here.

BTW That is the kind of life *I* wanted. Be HAPPY with what you have!

McCann_Can_Triple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2008, 9:06 pm

I'm odd.

I can cry if someone looks at me the wrong way at times, yet when family members died (that I loved and was very close to) not one tear was shed. Little things get to me, but bigger things I seem able to handle.

River: They say the snow on the roof is too heavy. They say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger. "

Hurley's mom "Jesus Christ is not a weapon."

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Oct 2008, 9:21 pm

digger1 wrote:

Why? Just trying to get to the root...

The former things have passed away."

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 9:59 pm

kxmode wrote:
digger1 wrote:

Why? Just trying to get to the root...

That's another thing. I don't know why exactly. I guess the music was making me feel a little sad, the lyrics was making me think that I might not be able to give her everything she wants or needs. I might have also been thinking that this little thing came from me and my wife and I get to help her grow. I'm an anomaly.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 10:10 pm

Don't worry about it AT ALL Digger!
It's enough to have emotions, isn't it?
You know you feel, so don't stress about what you express.
Remember, we aren't imbued with the inherent ability to immediately understand social situations like NT's are.
Everything has to get analysed and processed before we can act.
After a lifetime of walking on tentahooks through the minefield of expected appropriate behaviour, who can blame us for having blocked (under-develloped, undevelloped, stunted even?) imediate emotional responses?

You're OK!

Congratulations on becoming a doting Daddy, BTW. :D

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 10:15 pm

You dont have to cry. And it doesnt mean you care any less about people.

I did cry when watching House, specifically during the episode with the little girl who had cancer.

But House is so powerful, especially for those of us with AS who feel House himself is very accessible and understandable.

Taking a break.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 10:23 pm

digger1 wrote:
Thats how it happened for me. It seems the reactions and emotions are there, but not for display. It was just a quiet evening, feeding the kid.

Esther
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 10:44 pm

digger1, playing that song really saddened me. I also watched one of your baby videos and it saddened me further. I'm thinking now of how things could have been with my husband. I really wanted children with him, but it's just not meant to be.

Congratulations on your family.