Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 12:22 pm

If you live near or in Augusta, you might want to stop by to check it out.

http://maeproject.org/index.html

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 1:03 pm

digger1 wrote:
If you live near or in Augusta, you might want to stop by to check it out.

http://maeproject.org/index.html

Autism Speaks is one of the major sponsors of this, so this may be a concern for some. Also, further down the list is Le Club Calumet, (A social/cultural preservation club for people of French Canadian ancestry), who got into a bit of trouble in 1992-93 when they wouldn't let a woman join their organisation. --I have no idea of what they're like at this point, but they appear to now have female members as their elected officers since that happened.

Last edited by Fogman on 11 Oct 2008, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bozewani
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2008, 4:15 pm

An odd place for a conference, unless it's hosted in collaboration with events in other state capitals. Why would suspicious organizations lie in the list? Me no like. It's going to follow a very neurotypical perception of us aspies as crazies.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 5:32 pm

Bozewani wrote:
An odd place for a conference, unless it's hosted in collaboration with events in other state capitals. Why would suspicious organizations lie in the list? Me no like. It's going to follow a very neurotypical perception of us aspies as crazies.

WTF? What's wrong with Maine? Who lied?

linda04364
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Oct 2008, 8:23 am

I go to this conference every year, if I can. This year I only got 15 min to browse the exhibits, didn't get to hear the keynote speaker or go to the workshops.

It is a great event - there isn't anything like it in this area. I don't understand why someone would think it should be held in all state capitals... it is in this area because someone saw a need and worked to fill that need. It's put on by one woman, who learned how hard it is to find information about autism in this area of Maine. There are a lot of resources available, and she gets this information all in one place - it's amazing!

Yes, she has sponsors, including Autism Speaks. For their sponsorship, they get an ad in the program, and a table in the exhibit hall. But there are MANY exhibitors there, some of which are great, others of which promote their own variety of nonsense... yes, you have to use your own discretion. But it's AVAILABLE, which is a wonderful thing. I usually learn of at least one new resource, and that's worth it for me.