Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 8:48 pm

My psychiatrist said that I border between HFA and AS. I had never heard of this before. How do you interpret this?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 9:22 pm

As I understand it (correct me folks, if I am wrong...;) HFA (High-Functioning Autism) is the general definition, AS (Asperger Syndrome) is a variety of HFA. Past that, consult the experts.

11 Oct 2008, 9:34 pm

You are between AS and HFA. You don't fit in either category but you are in between. You have aspie traits and HFA traits. It's like you go up and down the spectrum. He could diagnose you with PDD-NOS or AS or HFA.

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2008, 10:12 pm

One of my family members was diagnosed with HFA by a pediatrician because he had a speech delay. The pediatrician stated that he will most likely change the diagnosis to Asperger's when his speech has caught up. So, to me, they are the same thing.

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

11 Oct 2008, 11:17 pm

Kelsi wrote:
One of my family members was diagnosed with HFA by a pediatrician because he had a speech delay. The pediatrician stated that he will most likely change the diagnosis to Asperger's when his speech has caught up. So, to me, they are the same thing.

for all intents & purposes
[the only difference would be delayed speech, so from a certain age]
they ARE the same thing, and there is indeed
'scientific doubt' as to wether they are different

there is no such thing as 'borderline' within the spectrum

Asperger's = Autism with an IQ of 75plus

If Hans Asperger had published his work in English, and Kanner in German, AS would have been called autism. Presumably, the then Kanner-syndrome would have been recognized by the same Lorna Wing (mayby a bit earlier) and defined along lines like autism plus mental retardation - which could account for the delayed speech.

may your god forgive you