Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

hilarythebaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Aug 2004, 11:31 am

Is anyone here sound sensitive?

I am. I love music, but my downstairs neighbor tends to play his stereo rather loudly, and I hate that. He and I used to get into fights over it, but he has learned that sometimes he just needs to be quiet, and he never has played his stereo after 9:00 p.m., most of the time. Heavy vibrations are uncomfortable and often painful to me. I also don't care for my neighbor's choice of music-- I don't like pop music past 1976, and he loves classic rock.

I also don't like constant tapping noises. I have been known to stop complete strangers from tapping pencils.

In other words, I don't like any noise that I can't control.

I also don't like thunderstorms very much.

Other noises I don't like are flutes, crying babies, screaming children, any high-pitched noise.

What are your sound sensitivities?

Kosh
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Aug 2004, 11:52 am

As a general rule, I'm pretty tolerant, to a point. Not much bothers me so long as it's not exceedingly loud; once it passes that point, my irritation increases exponentially as it gets louder. (I had a roommate in college that would play things on max volume even when I was trying to sleep. It seems a lot of people like the volume higher than I do.) Some days when I'm already irritated, though, any little noise can make it worse. In particular, I've noticed a strange connection between my stomach being upset and my sound sensitivity skyrocketing--when it's really upset, I can't have anything more than a minimum of noise. Sometimes noise wears me down after a while, too, if I'm in a loud setting for an extended period of time.

neutron189
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Aug 2004, 12:22 pm

I hate any loud noises At school when bands/pepole come to talk or play music my teacher gives me earplugs it is too loud

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2004, 1:08 pm

Yes, I'm also sensitive to sound. I also can't stand loud volumes, high pitches hurt my ears, and low rumbling bass does strange things to my equlibrium. I feel "overloaded" and like I'm being pounded into the ground. I also get dizzy sometimes. Large trucks driving by have this effect on me, or even just a lot of cars whooshing by at once. Motorcycles, lawnmowers and weedwackers (somewhat), and jackhammers are bad as well. What really doesn't help is that my brother is a musician, and he likes to play his electric guitar at the max volume, and has recently aquired a set of drums. I can stand the guitar somewhat, but not for too long. The drums, however, really irritate me, and I need to get as far away from them as I can, usually I go outside and wear earplugs (my brother's drums are in his room, which shares a wall with mine).

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2004, 1:09 pm

Right now mom is using the floor cleaner right outside my door.

It drives me nuts like nothing ever has before.

One of these days that floor cleaner is going to *mysteriously* break down.... :roll:

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2004, 3:12 pm

Low bass sounds i feel sometimes not hear. In the early morning hours the least noisy time can hear a clock making a ticking sound so i do not have any in my room i prefer lcd display clocks they make no sound :-) and iam finding i sleep better when there is a masking sound like a fan. And houses still allow too much sound in from outside. And when i was living in an apartment yes better sound blocking sould be put in them.

maddogtitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2004, 3:32 pm

One of my major sounds that I can't stand are the sounds of popping balloons. I also don't like loud music and any other kind of very loud sound, especially if it comes out of nowhere.
There are some things that I don't mind hearing, but if it's a constant sound that keeps on going, i get very annoyed and I don't like that.

shellfd
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Aug 2004, 3:57 pm

both of my sons are hypersensative to sounds- but they both dislike different types of sounds.
My youngest daughter also is hypersensative to sounds- her's are more of a vibration type sound.

my son Nicco's senses are almost all hypersensative except for feeling pain that is hypo except for certain types of pain ( brush burns and paper cuts are hypersensative)

michele

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2004, 8:24 pm

I cannot stand the sound of electirc saws. They remind me of the Dentist's drill. I also hate it when I have an old catchy tune playing in my head and a bunch of teens drive by with their Rap music cranked up on their car stereo.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2004, 11:46 pm

I can't stand the noise of stupidity. All that mindless chitter-chatter, silly humming, petty arguing, and other completely unnecessary yet irritably persistant superficial stupidity that wafts from any other human being or television set.
Who cares who sang what in a reality game show?! Who cares that so and so prefers the taste of all natural unsweetened whatever?! Isn't there anything more important and less superficial?![/i]

magic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2004, 12:58 am

There are some sounds that feel like someone were cutting my brain with a saw. The worse is very high pitched squeak made by wheels of some carts and trolleys. It is nearly ultrasonic and I suspect other people can't hear it. But even if very quiet, I can't stand it at all.

Of course alarms are enemies, as are all loud sounds over which I have no control. Vacuum cleaner sounds much nicer when I have it in my hand. Generally unexpected sounds cause me distress (such as those made by children). I also dislike when two sounds interfere and produce an additional beat pattern. Even worse is that you move your head and the pattern changes.

macvincent
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Aug 2004, 11:29 am

One noise that drives me nuts is sandpapaper! Also, I can't stand the noise of rubbing hands together. And I hate it when my austistc brother screams or makes noises.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2004, 12:29 pm

Quote:
I also dislike when two sounds interfere and produce an additional beat pattern. Even worse is that you move your head and the pattern changes.

Yes, I am both fascinated and distressed by this phenomena. Yesterday my father was vacuuming while I had a meal in the microwave, and I found that if I stood at certain spots in the kitchen the sounds would blend together perfectly, but if I moved slightly they were no longer in synch. It doesn't bother me so much when they are in synch with eachother, but if they aren't, I feel like I'm being pulled in two opposite directions.

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2004, 3:12 pm

Ah... when things drift out of phase but sync back in, that's like dissonance resolving into consonance and when that tension gets relieved, it's SUCH a wonderful thing!

todayiamhuman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Aug 2004, 3:43 pm

woah. i just read every comment on this thread and i could agree with every single one of them.
i am very very sensitive to sound, just now i had to leave the room downstairs because someone was playing jazz and there were amazingly high pitched sounds that just killed me.
i can tolerate sounds to a point aswell, but i am never rude to the person who is making the noise, unless its a buses bad brakes, then i just complain.
i went to a music college and everyone was into drum and bass, when the dj lessons were on i felt physically sick from the low bass vibrations it was crazy. my heart felt ruptured and well..i never went back to those lessons.
p.s i hate drum and bass and i cannot dj for my life

Tom_FL_MA
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Location: Central Florida; originally southeastern Massachusetts

07 Aug 2004, 3:51 pm

I said this in the "Sensory Overload" thread:

Tom_FL_MA wrote:
I can't stand the sound of fingernails on a nail filer. When my mother uses hers, I just about or literally have to leave the room. 8O