Time/Task Management Tools For An AS SAHD

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Thumper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2010, 8:59 am

I know writing things down (like an itinerary) is very helpful, but when the only person to answer to is me it often leads to a very unproductive day & last minute rushing, if at all. I get distracted very easily when I do not have someone like an employer with concrete ramifications for not getting things done.

So, what do you SAHs with AS do to stay on schedule & not get constantly waylaid over the day?

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 10:53 am

Thumper wrote:
So, what do you SAHs with AS do to stay on schedule & not get constantly waylaid over the day?

Paper notes are number 1. Lots of paper notes. For everything. Spiral bound reporter notebook.

There is loads of Getting Things Done (GTD) software, but I just use a hierarchical notepad on my laptop, which is always open - I stuff in reminders, things I need to buy, random thoughts and recipes. I keep it very structured, and never put a new note in the wrong place, so I always make new categories for notes that don't fit in the existing categories.

The camera on my mobile phone is very useful, to photograph things to remember (prescription, TV guide, handwritten notes) so that I can browse them later. It is more useful than the text notes function.

The alarm on my phone, which I have set up with all the usual times that I need to do things, and enable / disable according to whether I need to do those things this day.

Gigi830
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jul 2010, 1:26 pm

I am having the same problem! This thread is very helpful. Thanks- and keep the tips coming!

As for myself, like I said I am having issues getting organized with a baby- but so far I find using a big white-board is most helpful (I just need to find the best way to organize it). I need to physically write something to be able to remember. Also, standing is much better for me. I am a tactile/ Kinesthetic thinker. The movement helps me think; and the movements I use to write letters are more helpful than the movements used to type/text. But that is just me. My main issue is like you, OP: procrastination. IF I get interrupted or my schedule gets off track (which is ALL the time W/a baby) I have a hard time getting back into it. However I have other issues that might be making things difficult- namely Post-Partum Depression. But getting more organized might help in general.

Thanks again for posting this.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 9:04 pm

Do any of you have full-time jobs? If so, how do you get your chores done in a way that doesn't burn you out?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 9:11 pm

I stay home, and I have no way of keeping myself on track. :-\

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 9:18 pm

Google Calendar on your phone?

WarWraith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2010, 9:20 pm

I struggle with it at the best of times, but when I'm really tired (like right now), my self-management falls apart.

I'm at work... browsing wrongplanet.

I can't focus on what I need to do, or even adequately assess what it is I need to get done right now.

NearlyaHuman
Raven
Raven

15 Jul 2010, 9:53 pm

I have a PC program called "checklist" which I really like

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 10:50 pm

While I still have major challenges with day-to-day tasks at home and am seeking ideas for that, I have at least started using Mozilla Thunderbird (with the Lightning calendar add-on) to help me keep from forgetting appointments. (Outlook could be used similarly.)

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 3:28 am

Gigi830 wrote:
My main issue is like you, OP: procrastination. IF I get interrupted or my schedule gets off track (which is ALL the time W/a baby) I have a hard time getting back into it.

I have difficulty starting things, which seems to be related to Perfectionism or to Executive Function. I can't start until I am clear about how to do it correctly. If it is a simple task with one step (like laundry) or a familiar task of any complexity, then I can just start without obvious planning. But most complex jobs with lots of sub-tasks are hard - I have a complex job that I am supposed to be doing now (for the last year) and spend a lot of time doing nothing, paralyzed by fear of doing it wrong, then sudden bursts of doing stuff really fast and really well.

I am confused by Executive Function (for instance, I am an excellent problem-solver), but I think that tips related to organisation and planning that are designed specifically to help with Executive Dysfunction would be very helpful.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 7:34 pm

From what you're describing it sounds like executive function, for me--it's the simplest, most "everyday" tasks I just cannot make myself do! Stuff like laundry, mopping, etc.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 7:57 pm

StuartN wrote:
Gigi830 wrote:
My main issue is like you, OP: procrastination. IF I get interrupted or my schedule gets off track (which is ALL the time W/a baby) I have a hard time getting back into it.

I have difficulty starting things, which seems to be related to Perfectionism or to Executive Function. I can't start until I am clear about how to do it correctly. If it is a simple task with one step (like laundry) or a familiar task of any complexity, then I can just start without obvious planning. But most complex jobs with lots of sub-tasks are hard - I have a complex job that I am supposed to be doing now (for the last year) and spend a lot of time doing nothing, paralyzed by fear of doing it wrong, then sudden bursts of doing stuff really fast and really well.

I am confused by Executive Function (for instance, I am an excellent problem-solver), but I think that tips related to organisation and planning that are designed specifically to help with Executive Dysfunction would be very helpful.

This sounds exactly like me. I'd be interested in tips on dealing with this, too.

Specifically, at the moment I want to move out, so I'm trying to find a job or internship, but I find myself completely paralyzed by the entire job-finding process. I find myself being very negative, but that's probably hiding my fear of trying and failing, and my insecurity with "putting myself out there", as it were. I either think the prospective job isn't good enough, I wouldn't like it, I would be bad at it, or I think they wouldn't accept me for it, I'm not qualified enough compared to other people, etc.

Also, when jobsearching one is meant to apply for many things, and "sell one's self", which go directly against my natural inclinations. I always want to be truthful and self-effacing. If someone gave me a job and trained me in it, I'm confident I could do most things.

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jul 2010, 10:32 pm

to handle a todo list, I use a internet service called remember the milk http://www.rememberthemilk.com/

it has allot of handy features, like recurring tasks, adding google maps or notes to tasks, organising them my category ect. It sends you an email at 9am, listing of all tasks that need to be done today, and reminds you again at the time when each task is due.

even better I have a desktop application to pop-up and show a list of overdue tasks every 15 min. It sounds intrusive, but if you don't touch it it disappears in 3 seconds

A great free service that saved me allot in bill late fees

Thumper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2010, 8:17 am

Sorry for disappearing from this conversation. We went out of state for a very rare vacation (see my family) and my dad ended up in the ICU :( and is still there.

I picked a very bad time to try to focus on focusing......

The above has really made my original inquiry even harder. I am REALLY trying to prioritize my life and as a result instead of being really good at one or two things I am now average at all except that moment's focus. My wife joked, after 2+ hours of weeding the front gardens bare by hand that my AS has its upside....LOL

I feel very selfish about doing my self interests (powerlifting at the moment) as a result and my efforts are getting worse.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed thus far. It seems my innocent question is not just me from the many "me toos" I read. Please keep them coming.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood

Brija
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jul 2010, 8:26 am

I get sidetracked often too when cleaning or doing things. I have my lists and they help me remember what to do but to DO what I have to do I just have to consciously tell myself "this job here is what I am going to do until it's done. NOTHING else." and if I find myself getting sidetracked by putting something away in another room, then I remind myself "NO, I'm cleaning the kitchen right now" and I drop the thing I got sidetracked on and go back to the kitchen. If I don't do this then lots of little things will get done all over the house but nothing is ever completed! :roll:

azurecrayon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 10:36 am

thanks for starting this topic and the great suggestions =) my aspie SO has been a sahd for 2 1/2 yrs and has never quite got the handle on keeping the house running smoothly. a few weeks ago he actually asked that i make him a honey-do list and this week he requested for me to make him a chart of what to clean around the house. he gets overwhelmed and doesnt know where to start, so instead indulges his interests instead of doing household chores. which means our house constantly looks like a warzone with toys all over the floor, dirty dishes covering the kitchen table and sink, and children running around in dirty clothes from the day before.

i will add to the list of suggestions: flylady.net
its an online website with lots of info on keeping things organized and clean. i used to be signed up for the free email service a few years ago when i was the sah in our household. they'll email reminders about things to do throughout the day.

we are also setting up a schedule for our house. a set time to get up, breakfast at this time, lunch at this time, set aside these hours for housework, etc. it wont schedule every minute of the day, but it will put aside distinct times for mandatory things that must happen every day. the schedule will be posted and everyone in the house will help to keep the house on schedule.

im not the most organized at all, but what i always found the most helpful was trying many different things, keeping the individual parts that worked for me and discarding the rest. for instance, i ignored flylady telling me every morning to "get dressed to your shoes". i hate wearing shoes in the house.