Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 2:52 pm

I got a letter from my psychiatrist in the mail today with my diagnosis on it...

F31.0: Bipolar 1
F84.0: 8)

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 2:55 pm

What does it mean?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 3:05 pm

F84 is "autistic disorder," according to the ICD-10.

We, in the United States, use the ICD-10 more than it is supposed. I worked in a place once which used the ICD-10. I'm an American.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 3:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
F84 is "autistic disorder," according to the ICD-10.

We, in the United States, use the ICD-10 more than it is supposed. I worked in a place once which used the ICD-10. I'm an American.

Kinda wierd they used the ICD-10, meh

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 3:54 pm

So is it autism and bipolar?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 3:56 pm

What...

With ICD-10....

F84.5 is Asperger's...

F84.0 is Classic then???

8O 8O 8O

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 3:56 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

Yep

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 4:04 pm

F84.0 is "classic autism." "Kanner autism."

I wonder if the psychiatrist meant to put F84.5.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 4:31 pm

Angnix wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Yep

Ok. I was attempting to understand the results. I read that there was a distinct difference between the highs and lows of autisn and rhe highs and lows of bipolar in that bipolar goes from a high to a low or vice versa over a period of three to four days, and autism can go from highs and lows several times a day. Bipolar can be medicated against as it is caused by a chemical inbalance in the brain, while autism is caused by missing connections in the brain so in itself can't be medicated against, but several conditions associated with it can be (E.g. anxiety).
The reason why it is neccessary to get the right diagnosis between the two conditions is that if the highs and lowes are caused by missing brain connections (Autism) and one is medicated for bipolar, it can make things worse because the chemical imbalances in the brain can be altered in a negative way.
BUT if it is bipolar as well, with medication you will find a great difference as a chemical inbalance can be restored.

It is an interesting subject the differences between the two. It is one that when I looked it up, the little I know about the differences stayed with me in my memory, as I watched a lady who for years was missdiagnosed and the medication given for bipolar was making things worse. She had her life back when eventually she was given the right diagnosis. Likewize it can work the other way around. :)

It will be interesting to find out if you are given medication how things will improve, as with bipolar there is quite an improvement from what I have been told (Assuming that they find the right dose etc).

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 4:39 pm

I've been taking Mood Stabilizers and Antipsychotics for years with a huge benefit... I'm for sure Bipolar 1 also.

F84.0 might be right.... I've recognized for awhile I'm more severe than average Asperger's and I can't even mask... EVERYONE and their momma instantly picks up on the autism when around me, lol!! !

Plus I can autocount large amounts of objects...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 4:43 pm

Have you heard from the people who would send you to Australia?

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 5:03 pm

Now I am no expert on the ICD-10.

I have just read that the newest version has just been made active or current, as from the 1st of October 2020.

From my brief reading on the subject (very brief), i can see that Classic Autism and Asperger Syndrome still appear to be separated diagnostic criteria's.

The reasoning for Classic Autism being the diagnosis may very well be to do with early childhood development.
Such aspects of a persons development will give the diagnosing medical professional (clinical psychologist / clinical psychiatrist, who has an expertise in the area of neural developmental disorders) indication as to which diagnosis is most fitting.

I personally think where one medical governing association having one way of evaluating and diagnosing, and another having a completely different way of diagnosing is very confusing.

But never-mind.

Hopefully your new diagnosis will help you get the financial, emotional and practical support that you seek.
Which hopefully in the long run, will make your life a great deal more rewarding.

Congratulations if this is a turning point in your life. Good for you.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 5:12 pm

I got a call back from my psychiatrist after leaving a message, I'm on the higher functioning end of Classic Autism... They are pretty sure about it, she said if I was Asperger's I would have been 84.5...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 5:15 pm

I don't have Asperger's, either.

I have "classic autism." Because of my childhood history. I was diagnosed with autism at age 3----the "classic" type---which was the only "type" around during the 60s.

I am firmly of the belief that Asperger's and high-functioning "classic" autism are different disorders within the Autistic Spectrum.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 20 Oct 2020, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 5:18 pm

I have a wait! Hahahaha!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 5:20 pm

^I would diagnose you.....as a guy who like trains who sometimes has "shutdowns."

I am firmly of the belief that the "diagnosis does not make the person."

Alas, you do need a diagnosis to benefit from the services of the NHS.