Inspired by Eggman- How Much Does Asperger's Define You?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

To what extent do you allow Asperger's to define your life>
Poll ended at 14 Dec 2008, 3:03 pm
100% 18%  18%  [ 8 ]
90% 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
80% 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
70% 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
60% 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
50% 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
40% 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
30% 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
20% 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
10% 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
0% 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 45

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 3:03 pm

As stated, this was inspired by eggman's thread: not everything about me is about my asbegers.
Thought I might try to revamp the idea in a visual way.

sanndr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Dec 2008, 3:19 pm

I can't quantify how AS affects my life or how much i let it affect life, since i also don't know how to quantify the difference between my perception and NT perception, as i only have my own mind to really compare with.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 3:21 pm

^ I agree. I voted based on what I am guessing the OP meant which is how often do you think AS affects your actions.. ect.

I voted 40% because I think it does affect how I think a lot of the time but I don't use it to make excuses for myself or base my descisions on it (eg I can't do that, I have AS). So I say just under half.

-edited for clarification-

Last edited by mitharatowen on 04 Dec 2008, 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 3:23 pm

I voted 100%. because I feel that even though there are parts of my mind that resemble an NT, as my mind is not 100% autistic, I can't help feeling that somehow AS is bound up in my life's purpose and I cannot separate it from it.

I feel like perhaps I was meant to be AS/NLD/whatever because 1% of the population is, and someone had to be in the 1%. I feel that I have something to offer the world, but I haven't found out what it is yet. I feel that I could have been NT and been happy with that if genetics had rolled out a different result, but perhaps there are people or animals that need me, and would not have connected with me if I was NT.

Taking a break.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 3:39 pm

I have absolutely no idea.

If I knew, it would be incredibly helpful.

I think the brain is "plastic" though.

You can rain it and find "work around" solutions to issues.

Sometimes...

I know that I am me though.

I never really wanted to be labeled at all and that's the truth.

I just want to be me.

04 Dec 2008, 6:00 pm

I voted 10 percent because I feel it isn't part of me and it doesn't define me. It's there to help other people understand me better and not take things personally I do or say. I have changed over the last three years so I am more flexible than I was when I was 20. I think my mother was surprised how much I had grown up over the last three years. She told me back when I still lived in Montana, they always had to be careful about my routines and make plans around them. They had to be careful when they made change in plans and always had to ask me first before they did something that wasn't in the schedule. Well, having a TIVO helped. I would put all my shows to record I wanted to watch just in case my parents decided to add something to the list, so it causes us to get home later than I thought. Also working swing shift also helped because I would shower after 11 PM and on my days off I realized why do I need to shower at 8PM, I shower after 11 anyways so it wouldn't make a difference if I did it on my days off too.

I realized as an adult how routines were impairing me so I wanted to get through it. Now it's not so bad. Now I am showering at 8 again on work nights because I have to get up early for work now that I am working day time.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 8:55 pm

The plausibility of a numerical quantification of the factors of self-hood, is not consistent with my understanding of human development of self-hood.

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 8:59 pm

I don't know either....
but I've heard some people say Asperger's is like being half autistic and half normal so I picked 50%
plus, I may be an aspie, and I know I have some odd quirks. I like my personality, but that's not all there is to me; so it's definately not 100%

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 9:12 pm

I basically voted on how much it affects me. I voted 40%.

Being 22, still living at home, unemployed, friendless and single does make me feel that AS affects me a lot but I don't have sensory overload or anything quite as severe as that.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 10:40 pm

I'm going to say that it defines me when it gets in the way of what my personality wants to do, but it can't due to whatever label I so have.

100% or so, as it does stop me.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Dec 2008, 11:16 pm

I don't ever feel separated from the Asperger's. Does it define me? Prolly. I would not be who I am without it. I would not think the way that I do without it. I wouldn't have the perceptions that I do without it. Is it all of me? No, not all, but most of me. There are times that it doesn't matter, but for the most part it's who I am. Everything relates to it and back to it.

orngjce223
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Dec 2008, 11:18 pm

90% - basically, everywhere but online, that is.

It's a bit disconcerting seeing how much of my life is because I was being "totally clueless" about the whole enterprise.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 12:03 pm

At one with my Asperger's topic

I am happy with who and what I am. My AS is always in my conscious thought. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2008, 12:14 pm

100%

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 12:22 pm

A allow it to define 20% of my life. I'm quite independent, and I would work more than 16 hours a week, if I wasn't only supposed to make $500 a month to supplement my disability pension. I have a great social life and close ties with my family. I do my own cleaning, and shopping and I pay my own bills. I've also quit posting about my obsessions a while ago. :)

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 12:54 pm

100%. Even traits that aren't 'Aspergers' as such I believe influence my decisions, because then I start pondering over things in an aspie way.

Plus, I'm fiercely in love with my Aspergers.