Page 4 of 15 [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2008, 9:03 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
DJRnold wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
House from House M.D.
You wish. :roll:

What's that supposed to mean?
As someone else has said (it seems it was a different thread) House has excellent ToM (Theory of Mind). I say "you wish" because a lot of Aspies on WP like to think that any smart person or character has AS, even when there isn't much to base it on. Being smart is not a symptom of AS!

29 Nov 2008, 9:04 pm

Molly from Molly (she had autism)
Greg from The Innocent (he also had autism)
And this one guy from Cloak and Dagger. I suspected he has AS just by what another guy told the kid about him.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 11:16 pm

I think there's some sort of sliding scale for ToM, because mine is pretty good. I can usually tell when someone's bullshitting me.

Then again, that's about the only time I care what people are feeling.

That said, I don't think House has AS. I think he's just obsessive.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 11:26 pm

Aurore wrote:
Dr. Horrible.

Ha! Ha! Yep! I loved those songs, like the song he and the girl sang in the laundromat. So funny! :D

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2008, 3:55 am

Prof. Henry Higgins? (Pygmalion/My Fair Lady)

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 4:25 am

-Adrian Mole (from the 1982 book and ollldddddd TV program)
-Moss and Roy from The IT Crowd
-Ross from Friends

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 5:02 am

Anyone said Lisa Simpson? This quote comes to mind:

Marge: Bart you can bring Milhouse and Lisa you can bring a friend.
Lisa: Great! A friend...or a companion.....

Damaged
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2008, 9:04 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
-JR wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
And that one guy from Law & order in "Probability" but I forgot what his name.

I'm thinking Vincent Di'nofrio's character. Can't remember his name. Is the show Law and Order CI?

I think so. It's when homeless people keep being murdered and the guy loves the number 5 and has this pattern. Two things on the side and something in the middle. He does it with pictures, plates, etc.

That was the episode with the guy from Perfect Stranger's, none other that the cousin of Balkie Baltakimus! I thought his portrayal was rather forced - as if he was reading a list of AS symptoms intent upons acting out a few in each scene.

How about the Goth scientist girl on NCSI?

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 9:38 am

MizLiz wrote:
AnnePande wrote:
Pippi Longstocking (btw an old childhood obsession of mine). :D

! !! ! AHHHH! That makes so much sense now that I think about it! She's "precocious" "quirky" and any other adjective people used to describe her they could have just said...

No. She has AS.

I also really loved Pippi.

what other traits apart from "quirky" did she have?

none.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 10:00 am

anna-banana wrote:
MizLiz wrote:
AnnePande wrote:
Pippi Longstocking (btw an old childhood obsession of mine). :D

! !! ! AHHHH! That makes so much sense now that I think about it! She's "precocious" "quirky" and any other adjective people used to describe her they could have just said...

No. She has AS.

I also really loved Pippi.

what other traits apart from "quirky" did she have?

none.

She could do amazing things physically. Was an adventurer. Embodiment of someone who was a unique, self-contained creature driven by her own agendas and pursuits with total lack of consciousness of the views of others.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 10:39 am

In these kind of threads ("fictional characters with AS", "historic figures with AS", etc.), the criteria "marked social impairment and repetitive, obsessive behaviour" quickly becomes "marked social impairment or repetitive, obsessive behaviour"...

After all, people are "diagnosing" Hercule Poirot (obsessive behaviour, but no problem with social interaction - indeed, he is very good at initiating "casual" talk with other people during the investigations) and Adrian Mole and Lisa Simpson (social problems, but IMO, no significant repetitive/obsessive behaviour - well, there is the passion of Mole by Pandora, but, for "begining of adolescence standards", does not seem unusually obsessive)

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2008, 10:45 am

Noah Joad, the brother of Tom Joad the main protagonist in The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, is probably autistic.

Quote:
Noah moved slowly, spoke seldom, and then so slowly that people who did not know him often thought him stupid. He was not stupid, but he was strange. [...] He worked and slept in a curious rhythm that nevertheless sufficed him. He was fond of his folks, but never showed it in any way. [...] He was a stranger to the world, but he was not lonely.

There is a fascinating discussion about Tom Joad being autistic illustrated with passages which feature him in Steinbeck's novel here: http://www.biodiverseresistance.blogspo ... -noah.html .

Writers of fiction before autism and AS had permeated into popular consciousness and became fairly well-known, and who knew nothing about autism, who feature characters on the autism spectrum in their work, were not influenced by any knowledge or beliefs about autism. With modern writers, in say the last ten to twenty years, there is always the possibility that they have been influenced at some level of awareness by what they know about autism, or by their ideas of autism. So that makes the possibility that in works written when autism was not known, or little known, there are fictional characters who may be on the autism spectrum more interesting than in newer works.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 11:15 am

Some that I have not seen mentioned...

LV from the movie "Little Voice"...and also her love interest played by Ewan MacGregor...(a great AS-ish love story movie that i have watched over andover and ove again...)

Gelsomina from Fellini's La Strada...another movie I am obsessed with...

Butters....compared to the other kids on South Park...(as a kid I personally was kind of a cross between Butters and Ralph Wiggam)

Amelia Bedilia (from the kids books)

Lydia (Amanda Plummer's character in the Fisher King)

um....theres more...that have not been mentioned...can't think of them...

oh yeah...anyone see the movie "the Other Sister?"...They seemed very AS-ish..I could not figure out what the mental issue the characters were supposed to have...I think it was supposed to be retardation..but they seemed alot more ASish to me..if it weren't for the slurred speech...

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 11:19 am

TPE2 wrote:
In these kind of threads ("fictional characters with AS", "historic figures with AS", etc.), the criteria "marked social impairment and repetitive, obsessive behaviour" quickly becomes "marked social impairment or repetitive, obsessive behaviour"...

After all, people are "diagnosing" Hercule Poirot (obsessive behaviour, but no problem with social interaction - indeed, he is very good at initiating "casual" talk with other people during the investigations) and Adrian Mole and Lisa Simpson (social problems, but IMO, no significant repetitive/obsessive behaviour - well, there is the passion of Mole by Pandora, but, for "begining of adolescence standards", does not seem unusually obsessive)

Well, I still stand by Charlie Brown. He had social problems, and he´s definitely obsessive. :)

lovecholie
Raven
Raven

30 Nov 2008, 1:51 pm

Matilda!

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 1:55 pm

ephemerella wrote:
She could do amazing things physically. Was an adventurer.

since when are those aspie traits...? 8O

Quote:
Embodiment of someone who was a unique, self-contained creature driven by her own agendas and pursuits with total lack of consciousness of the views of others.

she just didn't give a f***