Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Ralou
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2009, 9:25 am

Has anyone had a genetic test related to having AS? I got evaluated this morning (by a friendly and decidedly not airheaded grad student, thankfully), and apparantly genetic screening is available. I take it they must be still in the research phase of genetic screening, though, because from what I'm reading online, there's no test available for diagnosis yet.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 9:43 am

As far as I know there is no reliable test for aspergers (genetic). At all. There are some gene variants that are seen in some people with aspergers - but not all. They're still guessing.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 1:17 pm

Personally, i think it would be more accurate to just look over the family tree. For example, I know for sure that my mother's older brother had the condition, but she and the oldest did not. Best you can do is say, "Yes, it runs in my family," then test your child/children as they come to an age where the traits are identifiable.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 1:30 pm

They are most likely looking for other possible conditions that could mimic autism. Fragile X is the biggie, especially with not too many repetitions so it isn't obvious. There are others--random translocations, etc.--that you can have that have known effects and occur more often in autistic people.

If it were in the testing stages, you would have had to sign a consent form for being a participant in a research study, as well as the usual "consent to treat".

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2009, 6:28 pm

It's waste of money. You might as well invest in dogs that sniff out autism, or wicca rituals or something. There isn't many tests that actually do anything at all.