A new word to use in reference to "Asperger's"

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2009, 7:55 pm

(Ah...sorry...I'm posting too many new topics...3 here today...but I have a LOT of thoughts rattling around in my mind...so I thought I'd type this here before I forget...)

People sometimes start up threads saying "we need a new name for asperger's" or "aspie is offensive" and so on; well the other day my clueless fuddy-duddy grandmother unwittingly came up with a great variation on the word...

She asked me about my "Aspergification"... :lol:

Feel free to use that one!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 7:57 pm

LOL. Once someone at school said I have Asparagus Syndrome. :lol:

y es como un semestre"

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 8:06 pm

AJCoyne wrote:
(Ah...sorry...I'm posting too many new topics...3 here today...but I have a LOT of thoughts rattling around in my mind...so I thought I'd type this here before I forget...)

People sometimes start up threads saying "we need a new name for asperger's" or "aspie is offensive" and so on; well the other day my clueless fuddy-duddy grandmother unwittingly came up with a great variation on the word...

She asked me about my "Aspergification"... :lol:

Feel free to use that one!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aspergification is funny! :D And I like your grandmother's terminology. Sometimes the terminology associated with Autism, at whatever form, is just awkward and easily misunderstood.

Now, Lab Pet thinks we need a new word for "meltdown!" The term meltdown sounds like a nuclear fusion, a tuna-melt sandwich 8O , or even the witch in The Wizard of Oz when she melts with water splashed on her. I do hate when meltdown is associated with a temper tantrum since that's just not fair......an Autistic meltdown is a 'temper' problem but instead maybe akin to a seizure &/or stimuli.

Yep, we need more descriptive (or creative?) terminology.

My Aspergification is progressing quite well, thank you :D

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 8:18 pm

You guys belong over here.

"Autistic Vocabulary"
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt106226.html
`
`

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 8:30 pm

Well, an argument my mother brings up is the classification of "high/low functioning" in autists. She thinks it makes us sound like machines, or robots. For those in the Asperger's, or mild autism, range, i think a better word would be calling that range "versatile autism" since we can interact with the outside world (limited though it may be). I do tend to agree with her since we aren't machines, and we do have feelings (though with limited interpretation with them), etc. What do you folks think?

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 9:16 pm

Many people here, including me, would like to see the distinction between the various forms of autism done away with. In other words, it sets us Auties apart from the Aspies, etc. I have learned in the past year or so that Aspies may have many if not all of the same problems as Auties. I have been considered by some people to be severely autistic and by others as mildly autistic.

I headbang and have other so called self mutilating stims. I am also hypersensitive to sound, and it takes me a much longer time to process information from my environment. I am also prone to violence when trapped in an environment that contains too much overstimulation. However, at times, I am able to give lectures and appear somewhat "normal." Some people also consider me a "genuis" while others think I'm "ret*d." In some areas, I am high functioning and in others, I'm relatively low functioning. So, how should I be classifed?

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2009, 9:27 pm

cyberscan wrote:
In some areas, I am high functioning and in others, I'm relatively low functioning. So, how should I be classifed?
Autaspergificated?
:?
I don't know, I'm hyperactive and I think 90% of what I'm typing might be BS.
But I feel for you man, you know? It's hard...we're all so different...argh...

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 9:44 pm

Unfortunately, most of this terminology was created by researchers and clinicians observing classical autism from the outside. Many of those observations, for instance the ones found in Oliver Sacks work, are now known to be wrong. But the vocabulary has stuck.

We can and should create our own vocabulary to talk about what we experience and live with, but convincing outsiders to use our choices will be the hard part. I don't like "meltdown" or "shutdown" much at all, especially since this afternoon at the library I saw a book about stopping children's meltdowns (i.e.: tantrums).

I don't think we need a new name for Asperger's, since most people don't seem to know that name anyway. It'd be like suggesting we need a new name for the Great Attractor or Graham's Number. Obscure stuff rarely benefits from renaming or rebranding.

So what would "autaspergificated" refer to anyway?

Myrridias
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Aug 2009, 9:46 pm

I don't car if I'm violating copyright laws:

Mentat

For theose who don't know, they're human computers used to replace...

they're from Dune.

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2009, 9:56 pm

Aoi wrote:

So what would "autaspergificated" refer to anyway?
A bit of everything I think...an electic (sp?) word...like one of those terrible unimaginitive company names like "globodex", just a "nothing" word made to sound vaguely like other words that sound similar...

minniemum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2009, 10:59 pm

My son who was only diagnosed last year with Aspergers tells everyone he has Asparagus disease and its catching so if he touches them they will turn green (and then we all crack up at the looks on people's faces).

31 Aug 2009, 11:22 pm

I have the word Assperger's syndrome and what is Assperger's syndrome? An as*hole who has AS.

C-57D
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Sep 2009, 1:37 pm

AJCoyne wrote:
I don't know, I'm hyperactive and I think 90% of what I'm typing might be BS.

I think that's called "Sturgeon's Law" ;)

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 3:05 pm

Aoi wrote:
I don't like "meltdown" or "shutdown" much at all,

I don't know.

It seems more like the mind's computer crashing to me (as an analogy), especially from the inside.

If there's too much input and tasks to handle all at once, the mental programme "freezes"; produces error messages; garbles the data or becomes unresponsive.

Plunk
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Sep 2009, 3:13 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
LOL. Once someone at school said I have Asparagus Syndrome. :lol:

Good one! :lol: