Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

28 Nov 2008, 9:19 pm

Didn't stress me out here. I ate and I just sat and waited until my dad got up so that was my cue to leave the table. I also talked but I was interrupting and shouting and my mother had to tell me to lower my voice.

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 1:14 am

This year, instead of going on the hour-long ride with my parents to go see extended family and have to pick through several ethnic-style dishes which I dislike, I was able to spend Thanksgiving with my friend, her boyfriend, and a few other people. We played Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, and I was able to enjoy turkey and rolls. I only spent a few hours there before I drove myself home.
All in all, a pretty good Thanksgiving.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

29 Nov 2008, 12:52 pm

im going home today. maybe, i hope my fire agate is in the mailbox . nothing would be better to find it just siting there, or if my roomates got the mail i hope they left it by my door, my mom should be comming back today and ive managed to not burn her house down or have any carzy partys

thanksgiving was ok for me, and it usually never bothers me

Sciatrix
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Nov 2008, 8:23 pm

This year, the travel and being unable to settle down at all* has been a big problem for me. Too much! I'd rather go to one place and relax. Also, my six-year-old sister and five-year-old cousin are driving me insane with their constant shrieking, not to mention my sister's frankly obnoxious behavior, such as giving my things to the cousin (wrapped up with a cute note, which provoked "awws" from my mother and aunt until I pointed out that my sister did not, in fact, own the object in question and hadn't asked me beforehand). On top of that, I have a Chemistry lab final on Monday afternoon and I don't have my study materials with me.

Thanksgiving itself was good, though. Seeing my assorted family, with the exception of the kids, has been the good bit. And hey, I get to go home soon and recharge some before finals. (! !)

*I came home from college for two days, then drove with my family for eleven hours to stay for a day and a half, including Thanksgiving, with dad's family, then had a half-hour drive to my aunt's for a get-together with my mother's family, where I'll have stayed for two and a half days. Tomorrow I'll be packed into the car again and driven back to my college campus, either over the course of two days or one night.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 9:15 pm

Age1600 wrote:
your def not alone! omgosh it was so stressful for me. I hate sitting and eating with everybody first of all, but our plans got messed up and half the day they spent trying to get me out of my room lol, even my brothers gf stayed longer to try to ease the transition easier, and help the change be easier. I had a mini meltdown punched somebody, and stormed into my room, and once i end up in my room it takes the jaws of life to pull me out lol, i wasnt really stressed either, i was very content and happy on my bed flapping, screeching and bouncing on my bed. We play a game every thanksgiving to keep me interested so i dont melt down or disappear, but i didnt wanna play, i wanted to play simon says lol, but that didnt happen either. Any holiday is just too much for me, unless its the same way every year, i cant handle it.

I always like reading your posts, Age1600. You give me a lot of insight about some of the things my son does, although you and he are clearly very different. When I read this, though, I couldn't help but think, "Why do they make her do that?" People are so weird. Why not make accomodations so you can eat apart from everyone if you like, and join in with the family stuff in whatever way you are comfortable?

Actually, I know the answer, I think. When there are visitors, there is a lot of pressure to adhere to tradition, and one general tradition for Thanksgiving is "eating together." When my in-laws come to visit, my husband tries so hard to look like their version of a "good parent", and sometimes that means trying to force our AS son to do something he's not comfortable doing, so it doesn't look like we're letting him run the show. It's all a big power struggle, and very silly.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2008, 10:16 pm

After reading these responses, I am SO GLAD that I skipped Thanksgiving. It was at the home of one of my stepkids, and I could simply not imagine spending the day with several people, lovely as they are. So I told my husband I'd stay home and enjoy my solitude, and he said, fine, as long as you're okay, and I said, yeah, it's better than a migraine and a meltdown, and he said, great, have a good day.

He had a wonderful time. I had a wonderful time. I straightened up the house, did chores, took a long walk (and hardly anyone was on the roads...yay!), and he brought home leftovers and told me all about the events of the day. I enjoyed hearing his narration, and then I went happily to sleep.

Airborne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2008, 2:51 pm

for me it was the opposite. I was sad that I really didnt have an official dinner nor had any family over really.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 5:13 pm

I understand how you feel. I don't celebrate Thanksgiving because I live in England, but situations like those can be hard.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 3:08 pm

MizLiz wrote:
Then at some point someone *had* to bring a freaking baby.

Quick poll: anyone else not see the point in making a fuss over babies and find babytalk REALLY annoying? That pitch just drives me nuts.

And then he starts crying, probably because of the noise.
Yessss!! ! I so agree with you :cheers: