Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Sep 2009, 6:56 am

I am posting this because it may be my last post. Ever since joining the WrongPlanet last November, I have found my obsession with this site getting worse. It is stealing me away from time with my family, and time from my special intense interests. Have any of you found your special intense interests taking a backseat to the WP? I have a lot of anxiety in my life, and this site has been causing me anxiety.

But this site has been helpful and supportive too. I give it credit for that. But now, I have analyzed myself to where I can't analyze anymore. For those of you that have been supportive of my positive views I hold with autism---thank you and I will miss you.

I may not be able to leave this site 100% at first---I don't know. Has it become an addiction? An obsession? I don't know. But I do know that last fall, before my diagnosis of autism and me joining this site, I had 150 pages written on my novel. Now, almost a year later, I have a little more than 150 pages written on my novel. Before WP, I was writing and writing on my novel. Since the WP, I have barely touched my train models---and I barely look at roller coasters anymore.

I am happy being an Aspie. And I will be happier yet returning to my true special intense interests. Fortunately, I have not dulled of my music---that is an autistic savant skill---so maybe that is why it has not diminished.

Are there others here who have found the WrongPlanet doing this to them? I feel I have to leave.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 7:02 am

I understand completely and I'm leaving with you. It's time to get the flower bulbs in the garden for next Spring.

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2009, 7:05 am

A little bit. After I have a few days where I "must" check the site several times a day, I force myself to go a few days without looking at it, just to make sure that I can. I think it may have the power to do to me as it has done to you--quite amazing considering that I hardly ever post, just mostly read. But I feel that even if I stopped reading it, it has been so helpful that I definitely got what I came for here. Best wishes to you, whether you return or not, you have been a powerful voice.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2009, 7:09 am

Im only fairly new here but it does take up too much time already.
OTOH we have the insight that there is a tendancy to do that.
Isnt it a challenge to just read WP once a week if you choose to?

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 7:13 am

I'll miss you, glider18. Best wishes.

Personally, I don't find that WP distracts me from my obsessions, because a lot of people on here share those obsessions.

y es como un semestre"

studentM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2009, 7:17 am

I completely understand, but for me, it's not WP - it's the internet in general. I can easily spend an entire day researching topics of interest and hop from site to site, but not get any of my 'real life' stuff done. :(

So I'm also in the same spot and trying to wean myself. :oops:

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 7:34 am

glider18 wrote:
Are there others here who have found the WrongPlanet doing this to them?

ah, if it were only that simple. WP doesn't do anything, glider18, it just sits on a server. It is us that log in.

I think that WP's charm is because it is so happening. Our quick minds want instant change and update, and on WP, that happens 24/7. WP was here before you came, and will be here after you go, forever percolating with new and distracting ideas.

I got so sucked in they handed me a mop and a bucket and told me to make myself useful.

I enjoyed your posts, glider18. see ya' on the flip side. :wink:

Last edited by sinsboldly on 03 Sep 2009, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 7:36 am

While I might not agree with you on many things, it's certainly been interesting to have you here. Good bye, and have a good life! :salut:

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Sep 2009, 7:58 am

Thank you all so far that have posted. I thought that after I posted this, I might realize I was just blowing off some steam and not serious---but afterwards---I realize it is right for me. I must leave. I joined this site after my diagnosis of Asperger's. I then underwent therapy in Cincinnati, Ohio for some issues. This site was useful for me during that time. I had a lot questions.

I am rambling...sorry.

I want WrongPlanet to know that I am truly...truly...truly grateful to you. I am saddened by leaving---but I have to get back to my special intense interests---Why?---because I want to---I know the fire of passion for them is still there. But it seems like everytime I begin to work on one of my projects, I find myself logging into WP to check to see who has responded to my posts---and well then---there it goes---a day with the WP.

I have several special intense interests---but I usually work on only one at a time---very cyclic in nature. And this time of the year I am usually getting into caves. Then, around Christmas it might be comets. But now, each time I start to get into one of those, I find myself absorbing here instead---as my one special interest at a time. So that is why I must go. And---my family needs time too. Thank you all so much. I will continue to read posts on this thread...and maybe comment...but then, I will be gone.

I will continue to proudly wear my WrongPlanet shirt...and my profile will remain here.

Please---everyone find your happiness with autism. It is not some evil thing lurking to destroy you. Work with it. Allow autism to enrich your life. Work with its positives and see what happens. I truly believe those of us who are autistic are a very special breed---we can change the world for the better. We can mystify the world with our talents. We are gifted with autism. That is my message to you---don't hate yourself. Love yourself for who you are.

glider18

Marsian
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2009, 8:22 am

Maybe you could come back just on special occasions?

Good luck.

Sam :) x

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Sep 2009, 8:22 am

I need to add one more thing to my previous post here:

This is to tell WrongPlanet what you have meant to me. Autism has always been me---obviously---because I was born with it. But until my diagnosis last November---I didn't know the reason why I was the way I was. But on that day I was told, "You have Asperger's" it was like wow!! ! I walked out of the clinic feeling like a newborn baby---starting a new life. I joined the WP the following day---WP became my Asperger's parent. You nurtured me and I learned from you. I grew up in my new insight of my life with you.

Not everyone here uses this site that way. But for me---I used it to understand my life, and I used it to grow up in my new outlook on life. So now, it is like a bird leaving a nest---I want to fly. I am flying with the knowledge of who I am and why I am the way I am. I will carry my message of positiveness with me in my journeys. I will say that autism is wonderful. "Autism" is the one word that defines me the most.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Sep 2009, 8:25 am

Marsian wrote:
Maybe you could come back just on special occasions?

Good luck.

Sam :) x

I think I can do that :D. If you read my previous post here about flying from the nest---as a child grows up and leaves home---they still stop by and visit on special occasions. Thank you Marsian---I will always remember your post.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 8:28 am

glider18 wrote:
I need to add one more thing to my previous post here:

This is to tell WrongPlanet what you have meant to me. Autism has always been me---obviously---because I was born with it. But until my diagnosis last November---I didn't know the reason why I was the way I was. But on that day I was told, "You have Asperger's" it was like wow!! ! I walked out of the clinic feeling like a newborn baby---starting a new life. I joined the WP the following day---WP became my Asperger's parent. You nurtured me and I learned from you. I grew up in my new insight of my life with you.

Not everyone here uses this site that way. But for me---I used it to understand my life, and I used it to grow up in my new outlook on life. So now, it is like a bird leaving a nest---I want to fly. I am flying with the knowledge of who I am and why I am the way I am. I will carry my message of positiveness with me in my journeys. I will say that autism is wonderful. "Autism" is the one word that defines me the most.

I take this personally and feel satisfied. This and only this is why I mod, so WP can be here for you as it was for me. ((((((( Aspie Hug ))))))))

ForsakenEagle
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2009, 9:01 am

I feel I can get into "fits" where I'll hang out here for hours at a time.

Best of luck to ya, glider18 8)

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 9:13 am

Noooo I like your posts :o
I'm a bit obsessed with this site aswell, I go on it everyday for most of the day and I talk about it alot. The internet in general is an obsession of mine, but I'm not planning on leaving it because it's a fun obsession and doesn't get in the way... that much.

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2009, 9:14 am

You'll surely be missed on here. I've always enjoyed your posts.

Best wishes to ya!