Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 6:32 am

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2708925&page=1

I've heard others call it ethnic cleansing? Understandable

EDIT: yeah the curebies..

Quote:
Jon Shestack, co-founder of Cure Autism Now, said in a statement, "This bill is a federal declaration of war on the epidemic of autism."

Quote:
Actress Patricia Heaton, representing the autism activist group Cure Autism Now, called out Barton by name on "This Week," welling up and demanding, "We need to get politics out of the way here because there are people's lives at stake. And it's heartbreaking. And yet, I see these parents, and they are so strong ... they are fighting for their kids, really fighting for their kids. And that's why I'm here to really beg Joe Barton to pass this bill, because it has the support of everyone else. And I think he needs to do the right thing."

Last edited by Warsie on 06 Dec 2008, 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 6:37 am

i don't like or understand this.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 6:50 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
i don't like or understand this.

It's autism research basically.

EDIT: googled the act.

"By passing this landmark single-disease legislation, the House has recognized the daily plight of the thousands of families struggling every day with autism, and has once and for all acknowledged autism as a national healthcare crisis," said Bob Wright, co-founder of Autism Speaks and chairman and CEO of NBC Universal.[citation needed]

-Wiki

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 7:37 am

I think that they should put an end to all autism research. CAN is only brainwashing people to hate and pity us. There isn't an epidemic, as far as I'm bloody well concerned. I'd like to send CAN a link to our site.

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2008, 10:45 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that they should put an end to all autism research. CAN is only brainwashing people to hate and pity us. There isn't an epidemic, as far as I'm bloody well concerned. I'd like to send CAN a link to our site.

Bear in mind that you and others on this site are on the high-functioning end of the spectrum, and you don't speak for all autistics. This "autism epidemic" is mainly about far less functional individuals, who even into adulthood are unable to take care of themselves. There are autistics who are effectively just as debilitated as anyone with Downs syndrome. I don't suppose you want to stop all Downs syndrome research as well?

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 11:34 am

There i no such thing as a war on autism. It is a war declared AGAINST AUTISTIC PEOPLE. This is simply bigotry of the most evil kindwhat are these fanatics going to do round all aspies and other kinds of autistic people into Auschwitz style death camps and practice mass murder on an industrial scale. That will undoubtedly cause a backlash and that is the hatred of the neurotypical. Because of autiphobia including aspiphobia aspies that have been born in the 1960s and grew up in the 1970s are often too frightened to leave their own homes. not through suffering from agoraphobia but because of the primitive society's aspiphobia. This may just be in the States but even American auties and this genocide, aspies have the right to life and do enrich the human species. The autistic genocide would be an atrocity and a crime against humanity. It does not matter what nationality aspies and auties are all forms of autiphobia including aspiphobia should be rooted out and Neo Nazi Groups such as Autism Speaks should be banned thoughout the world. People who agree with this eugenics war should be thought of in no other way than a traitor to the human species. :!:

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 11:41 am

- wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Bear in mind that you and others on this site are on the high-functioning end of the spectrum, and you don't speak for all autistics. This "autism epidemic" is mainly about far less functional individuals, who even into adulthood are unable to take care of themselves. There are autistics who are effectively just as debilitated as anyone with Downs syndrome. I don't suppose you want to stop all Downs syndrome research as well?
I completely agree with this. I think this is one of the first times some one on ehre has said this! Thats the point I was trying to make a while back, when I mentioned some of the kids at the school I went to for aspies and Auties. They were all extremely disabled! I think research should be done to find out more about it.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 11:55 am

Everybody grab a gun, they're attacking.

This whole war on everything is stupid. Why use that trem? The war on drugs, okay, that one does often involve fighting, but all the rest? The war on cancer? The was on AIDS? Short of killing the infected and them trying to fight back, I don't see how war really fits here. The fight against I can accept, but war?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 1:29 pm

HOW TO WIN A WAR!! !! !

1. KNOW YOUR ENEMY!(Ok, Cure Autism Now, and it's ilk, preach NOT knowing your enemy)
2. Try to defeat them with reason.(PREVENTION. Cure Autism Now preaches craziness)
3. Build a defense.(TREATMENT. Again, Cure Autism fails)
4. Destroy the strongholds.(CURE. This requires AT LEAST #1!)

HOW TO SCAM!! !! !

1. Find a cause.
2. Build it up to be very important, even if it isn't, and you know NOTHING about it!
3. Try to make it PERSONAL.
4. Ask for money!

419 SCAM!! !!

1. Claim you are related to someone important, and deserve money you can't get.
2. Claim that the time is somewhat limited, through some disaster, law, etc...
3. Claim that the recipient will get a portion of the obscenely large sum.
4. Ask for information to facilitate the transfer.

Cure autism now.

1. Says it is fighting autism.
2. It says autism now an epidemic.
3. It speaks about the effect on parents, and how ANY could have the problem.
4. They ask for money.

OK, the 419 scam matches the scam, but not the war. Cure Autism now seems to be following the scam method!! !!

March of dimes, st judes, the shriners, American diabetes association etc... are DIFFERENT, because THEY know the enemy, provide treatments, prevention, and cures. HECK, the march of dimes practically exterminated polio! St judes pioneered a device that is a precursor to one that saved my life. The American Diabetes Association has done a lot for diabetecs. And those are just minor examples. What has "cure autism now" EVER done? What have they even STARTED to do?

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 3:39 pm

- wrote:

There are LFAuties who don't exactly want to be cured and aren't happy with the assumption that autism is a disease..

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 3:45 pm

Yesh. And if we can't speak for them to say they don't want a cure, then CAN shouldn't be able to say that they do.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Dec 2008, 5:27 pm

I have mixed feelings about this. It would be great if cures were found for sensory issues or specific deficits that can be very disabling. However, it seems that the aim is to find the genes that cause autism and that knowledge will be used to abort possible autistic children. That can't be a good thing... And yeah, the "War on X" and "Combatting Autism (or something else)" terms are annoying.

Ack, please don't compare this to Nazi genocide. Places like the JRC for example are undoubtedly bad, but they're not Auschwitz. I don't see any chance of future equivalents of Nazi camps for autistics.

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

06 Dec 2008, 9:36 pm

This is kinda maddining. Did they even ask autistics how we feel about this? 'Decalaring war'? Isn't that kinda...I dunno agressive. It hurts when people say things like that -it's kinda rude.

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 9:59 pm

Warsie wrote:
There are LFAuties who don't exactly want to be cured...

I doubt the people who have the misfortune of having to look after and take care of LFA folk feel the same way. And think about how our economy would suffer if autism was growing at the rate it is, and all of those disabled people we would have to, somehow, accommodate for. Not a pretty picture.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 10:09 pm

Wait... Taking care of a family member is a misfortune? Since when? What's a misfortune is people forced to go it alone, without a break, isolated socially, unable to take their family members out in public, shunned by others, ignored by the government, given little if any help because all the money is going to research for genetics... That's the misfortune.

Also... autism, IMO, is growing slightly if at all. Most of the new autism diagnoses used to be "schizophrenia" or "mental retardation" diagnoses.

Why is accommodating disabled people not a pretty picture? I think it's beautiful, personally.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2008, 10:53 pm

Callista wrote:
Why is accommodating disabled people not a pretty picture? I think it's beautiful, personally.

Find someone who's worked at a care home changing adult diapers and ask them about that.