Page 7 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

turborocker5000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2008, 12:32 pm

Padium wrote:
turborocker5000 wrote:
Munipulator (even though I don't know what that means...)

Manipulator: Someone who can bend people or objects to their will.

this may make me sound thick, but I still don't get it... could you give an example?

Charlie

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 12:37 pm

turborocker5000 wrote:
Padium wrote:
turborocker5000 wrote:
Munipulator (even though I don't know what that means...)

Manipulator: Someone who can bend people or objects to their will.

this may make me sound thick, but I still don't get it... could you give an example?

Charlie

I can make you do somethinbg that you have no desire to doand wouldn't do unless I convinced you to do it, and I could have you feel comfortable doing it. I once convinced my stepmom to appologize to me for punishing me when she was wrong for punishing me and had her believing that she was a bad parent for not being able to understand that she was wrong. However, she was right in what she did, and should not have been appologizing to me, and should have been punishing me more for being such a jack*** at the time, she is also the second strongest willed people I know, with me being the first.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 5:05 pm

-Gay
-a 'techie'
-High
-A Foreigner (usually European)
-a wierd NT
-Insane
-Teacher's Pet
-An Accademic
-Shy

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 1:30 pm

The "Classroom Barometer" at High School.

If I was having trouble with an assignment, the teacher would change it or slow the pace down.

The class would move onto the next topic until I was happy and completed my assignment. I was like a classroom "pacemaker".

I can pick up on a kind of "group spirit" too by people watching. I can tell if other people are having difficulties or there are issues to be dealt with. I look at the system of people as a whole and see what could be changed to make the system function better.

I care about people in a practical way and am conscientious. If others are having difficulties than I feel like it's my responsibility to tell people higher up the chain what I think should be done to rectify the situation. Sometimes the system's been changed for the better because of my intervention. People have been very grateful for the issues that I've brought to their attention.

I can feel others pain and difficulties and want them to be happy.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 1:48 pm

Shy

ret*d

Bipolar-from that drug pusher with a MD otherwise known as a psychiatrist when I made the mistake of mentioning that I have relatives with bipolar disorder. The only symptom I have ever had is depression because that runs on my mom's side of the family.

Sociopath

B**chy

Bea
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2008, 2:02 pm

stuck-up
vain
ungrateful
(when the real problem is I can't remember what I'm supposed to be thanking them for,
or my timing is off)
shy - socially awkward (which is true, but they've implied I'm just unwilling to learn how to act normally)
arrogant
kleptomaniac (I've found that in almost any group of people there will be at least one person who takes advantage of my "weirdness" by stealing something and then making the other people think I did it. I'm afraid to visit my own parents because I think at least one of my sisters-in-law has done that for years. I believe she's trying to get me disinherited by making my parents angry with me. I never know what's gone missing, I just know that suddenly my parents act cold towards me and start watching my every action as if I'm a shoplifter in a department store. Very stressful. But it's always after that sister-in-law has been there a the same time, or has known ahead of time that I will be there. The only times she's ever called me is to ask when I'm going to be at my parent's house. Sometimes I get the impression both of the sisters-in-law are working together on it. They'd rather split the inheritence two ways than three. They both live close to my parents, I don't, so I have to stay at my parent's house when I visit, while they can come and go. And they both know where Dad hides the emergency key to the front door. And one of them usually knows when my parents will be out of the house for doctor's appointments. I didn't visit for Thanksgiving, and I'm staying home for Christmas. Last week I told my folks I'd meet them at some restaurant between their place and mine so we can visit, but I'm not going to give my sister-in-law the chance to break their hearts again by making something they value disappear, and make them suspect their own child was the thief. )

noahveil23
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Dec 2008, 2:25 pm

AmberEyes wrote:

I can pick up on a kind of "group spirit" too by people watching. I can tell if other people are having difficulties or there are issues to be dealt with. I look at the system of people as a whole and see what could be changed to make the system function better.

I care about people in a practical way and am conscientious. If others are having difficulties than I feel like it's my responsibility to tell people higher up the chain what I think should be done to rectify the situation. Sometimes the system's been changed for the better because of my intervention. People have been very grateful for the issues that I've brought to their attention.

This is cool, I'm kind of like this too, I get a sense of the whole organism and can break it all down. I can never see myself in any of it, though and have no idea what people are trying to tell me except for the most overt things. No sub-text, but I can see it in interactions between other people.

noahveil23

22 Dec 2008, 2:45 pm

I have come to see that there is always a political reason why a group is messed up. If you try and fix it then the "unwritten rules" will be instantly invoked, and you get shut down.

I have been called arrogant, clueless (which is very true where I, myself, am concerned) and worst, LAZY.

I had a gym teacher who would call me "Faker" which kind of rhymes with my last name. I thought this was incredibly rude. This guy used to hand out bible tracts and make you make a "declaration of Faith" to play on an after school sports team. He insisted on group prayers before every game. I very badly wanted to be good, but just could never pull it off.

A lot of my teachers thought I was just playing "possum". I got the High Potential/Low Achiever thing a LOT!

In fourth grade my teacher had me stand in front of her desk.
"look at me" she said, "I have had enough of you. You will not move from that spot until you look at me and KNOCK IT OFF!"
I had no idea what she was talking about. What do you mean knock it off? What am I doing (I can not see myself, you see?)?!
She made me stand there a long time, long after I started crying. Finally she banished me to the cloakroom to eat paste, when she finally could no longer take the sight of my uncomprehending, wounded, tear-streaked face.

After that I was on super secret probation for the rest of the year.

That year I read all of Tolkien from Hobbit to Silmarillion, and all of C.S. Lewis from Narnia straight through the apologies. She didn't like me reading Screwtape. I think she thought the name was dirty.

Several years later I would become obsessed with her daughter Lori. I'd write Lori pages long, phantasmagoric stories which all featured Lori as the main character. This delighted Lori no end (mom not so much).

Last edited by noahveil23 on 22 Dec 2008, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noahveil23

22 Dec 2008, 2:54 pm

From reading through all these posts it seems like aspies get labelled to be whatever the aspie-percipeiver is not. We arouse (I did the "we" thing again, damn!) suspicion in those anxious perceivers so they suspect we must be whatever it is that they fear.

I had both the "pot-head" and "narc" thing used on me. Huh?

Also rebellious, pagan, godless, disrespectful, and stuck-up, goodie-goodie, eagle scout, choir boy.

It seems to boil down to "whatever we is, you sure ain't".

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 4:47 pm

I have been mistaken for a lot of things over they years so what are you really trying to ask. Is it whether or not you stand out from the crown and appear to be a little weird in your behavior? Are you somewhat insecure in your disguise of trying to appear realtively normal?
Maybe I didn't understand the intention of the original question.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 5:37 pm

noahveil23 wrote:
AmberEyes wrote:

This is cool, I'm kind of like this too, I get a sense of the whole organism and can break it all down. I can never see myself in any of it, though and have no idea what people are trying to tell me except for the most overt things. No sub-text, but I can see it in interactions between other people.

It's like viewing a super-organism or herd of people. When I was at school I didn't watch them in a creepy way, but in a conscientious and caring way. I felt responsible for the welfare of the group as a whole and didn't cling to one particular clique for long. I didn't understand why people didn't mix around more: didn't they get bored of seeing the same small group of people every day? It's a shame that this kind of people watching is pathologised.

I can see some of the emotion, sub-texts and interactions between people and who's with who. Sometimes I find it hard to understand people's motivations, teasing and behaviour though. Maybe because I'm female I don't know. It's initiating casual contact that I have difficulty with. I just usually wait for people to some and see me. I usually wait for someone else to initiate unless the person is alone/poses no threat to me.

I do care about people, but it's a practical form of caring. It's not the intense girly mutual grooming "get the hairbrushes and make-up" out kind of caring. I can't cope with that. I will listen to people, but I can get overwhelmed if they get really emotional and silly about things especially relationships. Some girls find it hard to let go and ball their eyes out for days instead of moving on and being sensible. I don't really understand that.

msinglynx
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2008, 5:40 pm

Lazy, selfish/ self absorbed, ret*d, gifted, naive, stupid, "eccentric", ANNOYING, dense

ferretboy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Dec 2008, 5:46 pm

my aspie wife gets complained about at least once a week at the restaurant we both work at. It's a lunch place and expensive and a lot of rich house wives come in there. They will tell the owner, a good friend of ours, that "that girl is really sassy," or, "That girl has an attitude," or "that girl's tone is really negative." These women are used to being pampered for the most part. My poor wife started crying after the 12th time she got complained about because she is trying as hard as she can. She does very good- and like she says, if 9 out of 10 people don't complain, isn't 90% pretty damn good?

Since she is quite pretty (people always tell her she looks like a mini angelina jolie- or shannon sossaman -girl from "A Knights Tale) I think women are more particularly upset by the way she looks at them -they think she is glaring at them and snobby. I noticed in high school that prettier girls were more likely to be considered snobby - they either had to be bubbly and flirty or they were snobby.

We discovered that she is probably an aspie just last weekend, told the boss today, and he knows about it from Grays Anatomy or something and thought it all made sense now, why she always drops things, the facial expressions, the random interruptions of other people's conversations with cute stories about our son (who is a cat named Cashew).

-ferretboy

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 11:03 pm

ADoyle wrote:
Shy

Bipolar-from that drug pusher with a MD otherwise known as a psychiatrist when I made the mistake of mentioning that I have relatives with bipolar disorder. The only symptom I have ever had is depression.

Absolutely. Bipolar was my original diagnosis when I re-entered the 'psych' system as a teenager (elementary school psychologist had it right... but that's another story). This diagnosis was handed out with almost no deliberation, since roughly 40% of people in my family have some sort of bipolar, and most of the rest have related conditions. The diagnosis never really fit, but, being naturally guillable as I am, I just accepted it. The funny part is that I actually stick out like a sore thumb as AS to almost anyone I know who has studied psychology in any depth.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 4:15 pm

A Zombie
An Alien
A Gorilla
A Daydreamer
An Idiot
Too serious
Too funny

These people who call us all of these wonderful thing are just charming aren't they?
*sarcasm* :roll:

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 4:23 pm

AmberEyes wrote:
A Gorilla

Wait, you're female, how could people call you a gorilla??? Normally that is reserved for big hairy guys.