Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2008, 11:13 am

Isn't that like trying to get a gay person to be in opposite sex relationships? Many parents of gay people have tried this. It is stupid. Same thing goes for telling an aspie to be NT.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 11:22 am

FireFox wrote:
Isn't that like trying to get a gay person to be in opposite sex relationships? Many parents of gay people have tried this. It is stupid. Same thing goes for telling an aspie to be NT.

Nope.

It is just difficult to do. I know, becuase I doing it with some success.

The first step is to tell yourself that the way you are is not acceptable, nor a path to true happiness. That is something most people are not willing to do.

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2008, 11:26 am

Nobody can make an AS person NT. And no one should expect an AS person to conform exactly to NT 'standards' and expectations. However, we do have to at least make an effort to fit in to some degree. There is nothing wrong with being different or even eccentric, but to go completely against the grain all the time is, sadly, disruptive in a society that is engineered to work with certain preconceptions in mind.

As long as we are not putting other people out with our behaviours, needs and expectations then we should be free to 'be ourselves' as much as we like. But if we are actively causing problems by our behaviours then we need to seek to try to modify those behaviours to the best of our abilities in certain setings.

That's not the same as trying to be NT. It's simply something we have to learn to do for the sake of harmony.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 11:36 am

Autism is a spectrum. The closer to NT on the spectrum you are, the more you ought to learn how and when to act NT so you can be successful in the world. I know a guy who has a severely autistic son who became violent, smeared feces on the wall, etc. These are not autistic traits per say, but they were the result of autism. I would not just let that person act that way in society---and its for that reason he had to be given to a home. I understand what you are trying to say though. For instance, at thanksgiving I got overloaded by the stimulus of twenty people having twenty conversations at once and had to leave. This would be considered anti-social behavior for an NT. But fact is, I can't handle physical stimulus like an NT. So I shouldn't be expected to.

But when it comes to things like social skills...well, Aspies should not be judged for unconvential use of language or behavior as long as it is not out right rude. But we ought to try our best to learn how to at least do the basics---for our own good. You can't become an NT by pretending to be. But you have to at least be able to act like one in certain contexts, if you simply want to be able to get a job.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 11:37 am

Odd... I am "truly happy" the way I am, and quite satisfied with being strongly Aspie. :)

And, you know, you'll never get all the way to NT--anyone old enough to use an Internet forum is past the point where you can change your brain that much. (Actually, anyone old enough to babble his first word is past that point. Twelve months, maybe. Probably younger. Even then, not without trauma.)

So if you try to be NT and you constantly tell yourself that if you are Aspie you are unacceptable and will never be happy... then you will never accept yourself or be happy unless you change that basically false premise.

It's not like it's impossible to fake NT without rejecting your AS and assuming you'll never be happy if you're Aspie. It's certainly not impossible to learn stuff that makes life easier for you and helps you to communicate with the NTs.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 1:19 pm

I think trying to make someone else be something, anything, whatever, is usually going to be a losing battle. If change is appropriate, help the person to do their own changing, rather than trying to change the person.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 1:45 pm

So, the same as "Will you just be normal for once?" pops up too ;)

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 2:44 pm

I don't think Aspies can really act like NTs, or at least it would probably be very hard.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 3:38 pm

FireFox wrote:

I agree with your analogy. There've been lots of gay people in opposite sex relationships... and those relationships are more often than not very tumultuous, or they just fail altogether. Just like an Aspie trying to fake the social skills all the time. It's just too stressful to do that longterm without breaks. One gets paranoid all the time that his or her cover is gonna get blown... just like an in-the-closet husband or wife in a heterosexual marriage. Short-term? Yeah it can be done. Long-term? Not without some meltdown or lashing out, etc..

One can't force oneself to be something else and expect that change to stick. Growth through knowledge and experience acquired without fear, however, sticks.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 5:09 pm

I've heard of gay people in opposite-sex marriages working out just fine... a gay man married a lesbian and they both used it as a cover story! :lol:

Hey, gotta give them credit for creativity.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 6:36 pm

Callista wrote:
Odd... I am "truly happy" the way I am, and quite satisfied with being strongly Aspie. :)

And, you know, you'll never get all the way to NT--anyone old enough to use an Internet forum is past the point where you can change your brain that much. (Actually, anyone old enough to babble his first word is past that point. Twelve months, maybe. Probably younger. Even then, not without trauma.)

So if you try to be NT and you constantly tell yourself that if you are Aspie you are unacceptable and will never be happy... then you will never accept yourself or be happy unless you change that basically false premise.

It's not like it's impossible to fake NT without rejecting your AS and assuming you'll never be happy if you're Aspie. It's certainly not impossible to learn stuff that makes life easier for you and helps you to communicate with the NTs.

Well said.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 6:52 pm

i get your anology. i have heard of gay people being involved in opposite sex relationships purely because they feel they have to be which sucks because both them and the partner end up miserable..
an aspie cannot be expected to fake social skills non stop all the time.

Maddkow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Dec 2008, 8:16 pm

Callista wrote:

I /agree on that one. I'm going to counseling sessions now; I know I will always be my unique self no matter what, and that to me the NT life (which at times I envy) will always be a game of chess in which I must strategize carefully; meaning it will never come natural to me - I always will see myself as someone who is planning it out, or doing it, rather than someone who does it.

ssenkrad
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Dec 2008, 9:31 pm

KevinLA wrote:
Nope.

It is just difficult to do. I know, becuase I doing it with some success.

The first step is to tell yourself that the way you are is not acceptable, nor a path to true happiness. That is something most people are not willing to do.

I like the way you put that. Change, for me, is usually motivated by dissatisfaction.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 10:27 pm

It's a strange analogy.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 2:06 am

many people tried to get me to conform with threats, punishments, bribes, rewards, drugs and like The metal with its appostion, they all failed as I threw them to the ground