Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Bozewani
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2008, 11:07 am

I am getting pissed off by the stupid social conventions and social hierachies in this country(USA), and how it allegedly promotes "individuality", yet forces everyone to adhere to rigid, and rather authoritarian social conventions.

Anyone else not putting up with the BS?

Post Below!

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2008, 11:17 am

Yeh it's true. And it's not only in USA; it's everywhere. the truth is - there is really no individuality; and no human is really free or independent - because there is always something that we can't do by ourselves and have to look for help from other people... I hate that! I would like to be free and live the way I want it... But I can't. I can't set myself free from those behavioural chains and emotional bariers that humans created and named "society"....

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2008, 11:46 am

Hm.. unfortunately it's not only in USA it is like you describe. Believe it's a global issue. Discussions are said to be open, and they love different views, that is until someone really speaks out in a way "they" can't quite understand, cope with or tolerate. Usually, after an awkward moment the theme is swept under the carpet, replaced with a more suitable matter of discussion, laughter, coughing...etc. Not only on TV debates, but also in every lunch brake room world over.
Think this is related to the smalltalk thing. It appears to be a discussion, but it never runs deep, merely scratching the surface. If I'm in such a situation, and the matter is of interrest to me, I usually quickly goes in a deep discussion mode and sometimes in a preacher mode. That leaves the others puzzled and insecure and in short terms, end of discussion. Lately I've been more carefull, just try to play along and really don't say much.
But this is a problem for every nation. "They" say they want oponions, but they really just wants to scratch the surface and afterwards they can say; See, we brought this up to discussion, even if it's a difficult matter. In the end no problems get solved by such discussion methods.
Is this in the line of what you ment?

Psiri
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2008, 12:24 pm

I think most people communicate in order to establish a shared point of view. If you say something challenging then maybe it comes across as perverse, like you're going out of your way to be difficult. Some people are intellectually curious and others aren't. Some people can't/don't even look at things in a detached way - everything is personal to them.
But I agree, hierachies are a pain in the arse. I can't believe people spend so much time and effort trying to gain influence over other people, purely for its own sake. I assumed people grew out of it when I was younger, but they don't.

Quote:
no human is really free or independent - because there is always something that we can't do by ourselves and have to look for help from other people... I hate that!

I thought I'd respond to this with a bit of wisdom from Bob Dylan:

There's a certain thing, that I learned from Jim
That he'd always make sure I understand.

That is that there's a certain way, we all must swim
If we expect to live off of the fat of the land.

Any excuse to quote Bobby D.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

16 Dec 2008, 12:27 pm

people just dont have anything to do, so they make up conventions to go to. you can choose to ignore them, thats what i do

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 2:53 pm

I don't live in the US (I wish I did...) but my point of view on this point is very simple: give zero (and I mean zero) relevance to what people say/think, just go your own way and screw them, pretend they're are not real (are they really real anyway...?), at the end of the day you're always alone out there, make your own choices and go for the best.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 3:32 pm

Why do you wish you lived in the US?

Aaaah, Siena... I soooooo wish I lived in Italy!! ! I hear you guys are having snow now...

millie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 4:30 pm

definitely a global issue. and it makes it hard for us. same in australia. Although, in some tribal cultures, aspies were probably given Shamanic statues -because of their unusualness. Sadly, those days are for the most part, gone. (however, us poor aspe girls in the middle ages probably didn't fare too well!)

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 4:45 pm

yea who cares, they say never fart in public, but if i hold it in, its only going to squeeze on out on its own even more deadlier then the first time lol so who cares if its frowned upon, jeeez if i had a permanent toilet following behind me, be a different story lolol.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2008, 4:58 pm

Age1600 wrote:
yea who cares, they say never fart in public, but if i hold it in, its only going to squeeze on out on its own even more deadlier then the first time lol so who cares if its frowned upon, jeeez if i had a permanent toilet following behind me, be a different story lolol.

You are funny. I'm still laughing. I still keep the fart inside in public. But i can break it for fun among friends. Seen the movie Dumb and Dumber? Jim Carrey is good when he farts and lite a fairly good fire too!

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 5:44 pm

Greentea wrote:
Why do you wish you lived in the US?

Aaaah, Siena... I soooooo wish I lived in Italy!! ! I hear you guys are having snow now...

I've always been fascinated with the US (and Canada), I feel attracted, like I belong there (much) more than here. I have been 2 times (Park City & Boston) and I loved it.

Actually I don't like Italy, Siena is pretty good since it's small and quiet, people suck more than in North America/Europe, unfortunately here it's only raining (I love snow), it's snowing in the north.

But all this is completely off topic :wink: