Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Rafter613
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Dec 2008, 9:00 pm

I have to write a biography, and I have no idea of how to describe my life to other people. I'm only in my senior year, and don't know how to write 1,000 words on my life so far.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 11:00 pm

Jsut list stuff like every place you've lived, where you went to school, pets you had, and describe something about all of that. Kind of dry, but it wastes the paper. Add in stuff like if you've ever broke a bone, gone on a trip, ect.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 11:07 pm

why don't you write about how you think? do a biography of just one day or something? turn the bio into something with a bit of a creative twist to it .

for instance , if i heard a bio of someone's day who had AS, i would be really fascinated.

you could do a straight chronology, sure. But EVERYONE will do that.
What makes YOU you? what makes you special? what makes you amazing? focus on those things.

good luck and hope you can have fun.
pm me if you want a bit of help. :wink:

Last edited by millie on 27 Dec 2008, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 11:27 pm

Write about you. Where you grew up, difficulties and life changing events, having AS, your interests (but try not to go into too much detail about these, heh), or maybe just what day to day life is like for you. I like what millie suggested, as well.

Rafter613
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Dec 2008, 9:52 am

Thanks, I'll try those things.

ThisIsNotMyRealName
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2008, 11:23 am

Keep it as factual and impersonal as you can - or you may find it used against you.
In fact, there's nothing obliging you to write about yourself at all.
Why don't you write someone else's ?

Personally, I think it's an effing liberty - someone asking you about your personal life.
I'd tell them that they were out of order and possibly in breach of laws regarding the grooming of vulnerable minors.

I'd throw the bluddy book at the twat who thought that an autobiography was an acceptable idea.

Have a word with your school principal.

UnusualSuspect
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2008, 2:27 pm

I feel somewhat the same way as Notmyrealname. But I'm an almost obsessively private person. Do you feel that this would be an invasion of your privacy? You said biography. Writing your own life is an autobiography. If you're uncomfortable writing about yourself, you have the right to refuse and possibly write about someone who interests you. If you're okay with it, start with the chronology, and then fill in with details that might be interesting to someone else.

ThisIsNotMyRealName
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2008, 2:41 pm

ThisIsNotMyRealName wrote:
Keep it as factual and impersonal as you can - or you may find it used against you.
In fact, there's nothing obliging you to write about yourself at all.
Why don't you write someone else's ?

Personally, I think it's an effing liberty - someone asking you about your personal life.
I'd tell them that they were out of order and possibly in breach of laws regarding the grooming of vulnerable minors.

What if some kiddy-fiddling paedo got hold of your autobiography ?

OK, maybe a bit of a remote possibility - but I find myself enraged at the request of this 'teacher'.
Complain to your parents and explain that your privacy rights are being abused.
Hopefully the idiot who devised it will feel the sharp end of the principal's cane and see the error of his ways.

ThisIsNotMyRealName
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2008, 2:45 pm

The first thing that went through my mind when I read the OP's post was 'Is this teacher a kiddy fiddler ?'

Rafter613
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Dec 2008, 5:57 pm

Well, it's not actually a school assignment, it is to apply for a scholarship, so it's not really an invasion of privacy....