Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 12:34 pm

I found something my bf said recently very funny and want to know your opinions on his thought.
While we were looking at online lists of people with Autism he was quite surprised by some people. He at first said it seems like everyone famous or smart has Autism. Then after much though he said did you ever think that maybe the people with Autism are more normal then NT people. I asked him what he meant and he said well so many people have Autism maybe the "normal" ones are actually the weird ones. Any thoughts?

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 12:42 pm

Everyone is a 'weird one' in someone's eyes. Weird means different.
There happens to be more NT's than Autistics so, by definition, that makes us the weird ones.

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 12:44 pm

I think there are things that we get that they don't get. I also think there are things they get that we don't. I question who gets to determine "normal". Normal is too abstract a word.

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 1:52 pm

I don't think "normal" is too difficult a thing to pin down. It may be harsh, but I think Malcolm McDowell said it best, "Normal is what everybody else is, and you are not."
Normal is the majoriy, plain and simple. If we were the majority of the population, then this site would be filled with what we now label NT's.

JoJerome
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2009, 2:53 pm

When discussing a favorite musician of ours, a friend jokingly told me, "You can't be that artistically talented and not have something seriously, psychologically wrong with you."

She didn't mean it in a mean way, but in the context of; "It seems the most talented artists out there are somehow troubled or eccentric souls whose art is their outlet."

I'm certainly trying to channel my weirdness into my writing!

- Jo

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 5:06 pm

Yeah I get that. I just found it funny that he thought that way. It was very interesting.

spockezri
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2009, 8:28 pm

drowbot0181 wrote:
I don't think "normal" is too difficult a thing to pin down. It may be harsh, but I think Malcolm McDowell said it best, "Normal is what everybody else is, and you are not."
Normal is the majoriy, plain and simple. If we were the majority of the population, then this site would be filled with what we now label NT's.

Haha, yeah...
What's worse, it's an ideal that people die to be. That's why to be a non-conformist :)

You and I must fight for our rights,
You and I must fight to survive.

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 9:24 am

spockezri wrote:
drowbot0181 wrote:

Haha, yeah...
What's worse, it's an ideal that people die to be. That's why to be a non-conformist :)

Yeah, people seem to have this weird misconception that majority = good... :roll:

spockezri
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2009, 10:39 am

drowbot0181 wrote:
spockezri wrote:
drowbot0181 wrote:

Haha, yeah...

Yeah, people seem to have this weird misconception that majority = good... :roll:

And the majority is usually wrong...they are misinformed and sort of go "Yeah, that MUST be right!"

You and I must fight for our rights,
You and I must fight to survive.