Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jmfoster
Raven
Raven

04 Jan 2009, 5:14 pm

Do you feel as though others should make an effort to make you feel at ease in social situations and not make you feel left out? Do you feel overlooked and brushed off with others?
I am shy because I would rather that then say or do something that others would find 'odd'.
I find that I do explain things differently and even move slightly awkwardly so I try to keep to myself in most social situations. But it's either that or I am hyperactive and get a kind of confidence from acting foolish, chilidish and slightly ignorant, (maybe ADHD).
I do feel kind of 'loose' persona wise, but does everybody else on here feel the same to that?
Ok... so I havn't really stuck to the point on this topic (typical me), but it would be nice for some of you to share your thoughts etc.

Thanks, x

P.S the ADHD part; I do feel as though my mind has no limits, and like nothing negative can effect me, it's like my barrier and it only occurs when feeling stressed, I feel like a different person, I feel as though I even look different when I'm in that mood, help me please?

millie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 5:19 pm

no. i am not shy. i was terribly shy when i was younger in adolescence and early adulthood -and could not look at people at all -head down and hair covering my face. very interior and fearful and confused by people.

in childhood i was either "on" or "off" and was extroverted a lot at times at home. School was different. more littel philosopher girl.

i have grown and changed a lot and i am more extroverted these days in teh second half of my life. but i still prefer my own company or minimal social contact.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 6:00 pm

I was like Millie, didn't talk at school but talked a lot at home.

I thought I had overcome my shyness, but I still can't approach people. But since I was 15 I've at least given it a try and have made a few friends.
Maybe when I'm Millie's age I'll no longer be shy.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 6:18 pm

Quote:
pensieve wrote:
I was like Millie, didn't talk at school but talked a lot at home.

I thought I had overcome my shyness, but I still can't approach people. But since I was 15 I've at least given it a try and have made a few friends.
Maybe when I'm Millie's age I'll no longer be shy.

interesting too pensieve. it has really improved with age for me.
And another interesting point: There is often an assumption that ALL people with AS are shy and completely shutdown. this is jsut another one of those fallacies and silly stereotype views. we are diverse bunch. let's celebrate that.

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 6:21 pm

I am pretty shy. Once I warm up to you I can make decent conversation. I have trouble with eye contact. At home I talk a good bit depending on my mood.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 6:25 pm

HECK NO! I have a million friends, and 1000 wives, etc.... :oops: 8O :roll:

OK, do you know where you are?

Actually I AM shy, and would be ecstatic if I couldn't count good friends on one hand, and had just one nice wife and maybe a couple kids.

hester386
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jan 2009, 6:38 pm

I'm 22 and still painfully shy. I can't walk up to people and start conversation because I will get overcome with anxiety and start mumbling and bumbling like an idiot. Conversations with people I don't know well just don't come naturally to me.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 6:45 pm

hester386 wrote:
I'm 22 and still painfully shy. I can't walk up to people and start conversation because I will get overcome with anxiety and start mumbling and bumbling like an idiot. Conversations with people I don't know well just don't come naturally to me.

Conversations with people I know well still don't come naturally to me.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 6:55 pm

Quite.

Although I've posted threads regarding a WP convention, I could never ever get the courage up to actually attend one.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 6:58 pm

Yes.

Every time someone introduces me to someone else all I hear from the first person is, "Oh, she's shy" as the other person just stares while I'm looking down at my feet laughing out of not knowing what else to do...

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 6:59 pm

I am very shy and I hate it... Although I am only shy because of the harassment I went through as a kid. I was never shy until I started getting constantly harassed.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 7:21 pm

No, not anymore. I actually enjoy meeting new people, so long as they are intellegent and not overly judgemental. It still takes a bit of work and I am still rather quiet, but I consider myself 'slightly extroverted'.

I was a COMPLETE recluse for most of my life, however. In early elementary, I percieved other kids more as loud, smelly rambunctious and intrusive components of my immediate surroundings, rather than sentient beings whom I should be interacting with. In later childhood, adolescence and even into college, somewhat, I avoided most social interactions for fear of rejection and the fear of having absolutely no idea how to act or respond.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 7:23 pm

Damnedly so, I say.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 7:47 pm

When I ws a kid, very. As I got older, less and less. Now I'd say no.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 8:10 pm

not as much as I used to be.

Kauf039
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2009, 8:17 pm

In places where I'm comfortable and know the situation, I can be rather outgoing. (ie. at work, at home, so on) Also when it is something that is someone's job to do (ie. asking for the check, etc.) I have no issues. With one or two friends, it is all good.

If I am in a different area, have more than one person I don't know near me (just one person in non-face-to-face conversation), it is asking for something that is above and beyond the person's normal work, etc. I am increadibly shy.

I believe it is partly because I feel safe in comfortable areas, people I know already know I'm weird (and actually like that fact, go figure), and if I am to ask anyone for something that has to do with thier job... well, it is something they are supposed to be doing. Less chance of rejection perhaps?

I am getting better, but it is something I have to keep working at. I don't think I'll ever be to the point where I can go up to a random person (in a place other than home or work, if you are in either of those places, you will learn of my strangeness anyways, may as well throw it on you right away) and start up a conversation. I am hoping to get to the point where I can go up to extended family or friends of friends this way however. *Crosses fingers*