Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 10:36 pm

I can't help but feel down lately, and I think I know why... I am both lonely, and bored of life in general. Now I am definitly not depressed, just bored. It feels like I have already accomplished everything I can and want to accomplish at this point in time without waiting for a few years to pass where I can have some new goals and stuff to accomplish. It is like I have no motivation to do much of anything right now, as nothing seems fulfilling. I think once classes pick up in pace, this might change, but I don't want to wait. Any suggestions?

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 10:38 pm

Try to create something, if you're in any way creative. It's a short term solution, but quite distracting.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 10:42 pm

Right now I think I'm gonna create a cup of tea and head to bed. Thanks, I will find something to create at somepoint, and hopefully not kill my lungs again doing so. My lungs are as bad as a smoker of 25 years because I didn't use a proper breathing mask last time. Problem is what to create........ Anyways, I just need to find something to occupy my life with.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2009, 10:50 pm

If you don't want to wait, you can always try researching the subjects of your classes. I tend to do a lot of research and reading nowadays with my spare time. Unfortunately I don't absorb the information as well as I would like though.

As a slightly creative person, I like to make programs. I usually only make little "toys", for lack of a better term. They usually do something only neat, rather than useful.

Sometimes I play games during the day (usually by myself), and at night I sign on Battle.net (Blizzard's online service for many titles) with a friend and play games.

Other times.. I feel a lot like you. Just bored of everything available to me. I missed two college quarters, unfortunately, and now I should probably get a job for the time being to help fill in the free time that used to be gone due to college.. That helps, removing free time!

Your best bet though would be to find something humorous. When I'm in that kind of mood, I find it's just easier to sit down and watch something funny.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jan 2009, 11:22 pm

I don't know if this will help or not, but here is something I have done. I have been working on a novel. I have over 150 pages of it written so far---and I am generally pleased with it so far. But, I have found myself somewhat bored with it lately. I will finish it, but I haven't been motivated to do so lately. So---I figured on trying something different that was at least related to that novel project. Since the novel is in the third person, I began a second novel from the first person point of view from one of my main characters.

I have become motivated because it is refreshing for me to start a new project, but yet it is still part of the original in a way. Now I am thinking, why not do first person narratives, or possibly journals, for all the main characters? That would be interesting. Each person's story will have different beginning elements, but in the end each one meets up with some of the other characters. Sound complicated? Yes. But the challenge will keep me interested. And, it will soon be refreshing to finish the original third person novel.

So if you adapt something similar to your project(s) that you have become bored with, it might help you.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2009, 11:32 pm

I get really bored too. Right now I don't work, study or have much social interaction.
Sometimes I just stop what I'm doing and come up with a screenplay in my mind, and if I started to write it down on paper I wouldn't be bored for much longer.
When I get bored I read, watch TV or play videogames.
Just keep yourself occupied with something and you'll feel less bored and lonely.

That's why I like having a routine: I plan what to do in a day and when to do it, so I am less bored. Although, sometimes it doesn't all work out that way.

beautifuloblivion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 12:01 am

zghost wrote:
Try to create something, if you're in any way creative. It's a short term solution, but quite distracting.

I agree with this. Or maybe try doing the opposite of what you feel like doing to push yourself out of your comfort zone in order to experience something new. For example, if you felt like staying in and lounging around, you could go for a walk instead or go to a movie... or maybe something more creative than that, I dunno.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 2:59 pm

I'm thinking this is bad.... I'm actually joking about suicide... just so it is known, I would never commit such an act. I am tyhinking though that this may be bordering on depression... I just need to get motivated by something in life...