Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 9:50 pm

well, I, for one, have no real joy talking about my obsessions-in fact I wish I didn't like most anything I do.
I don't talk about them-no desire too, and it often bugs the crap out of me when people go on and on and on about them (some situations don't apply)
anyways-I am a reclusive person-by choice, I have no desire to talk about myself, so people see me as cold
I don't much mind these days.
I am just saying if anyone else is the same way.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2009, 9:56 pm

I think I'm similar. While I'll happily engage in an email/postal conversation with someone about my interest (which hardly ever happens because I'm not very proactive in that respect), I have difficulty talking about it, even in monologue style. It's as though my thoughts are too important to me to be said, and in fact can't be said in words without a lot of thinking, which isn't conducive to spoken communication.

Rip-City
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2009, 10:01 pm

I can be some of what you are saying. While I enjoy talking about shared interests with someone, I can be tentative about hobbies with certain people (or types of people). Our interests, I think, can speak volumnes about who we are given how much time, energy, and thought we can put into them (kind of like identifying/getting to know people through their talking to them about their profession). The flipside of this is that extensively sharing our interests with someone is kind of like opening up to them and bringing them into our world (at least a little bit). Droning endlesly about interests without "picking one's spots" seems to be more from a lack of awareness, or just assuming everyone thinks like you do. Your being aware of your diffeerences and being reclusive on top of it make your stance entirely reasonable and not unexpected.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 10:07 pm

i don't really want people in my world lol
Yes I have pushed myself in the last 3 years to become more...I guess "normal" I have no desire to obsess or be like I am
I want to understand social things and be a part of society like people my age
and its kind of working-I am doing alright at blending in (when I want to)

yeah a lot of people here drone on and on about nothing and its really annoying.
I never did-because if i ever did I knew people would get very mad at me
so I have always been aware of that, and rather hidden

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 12:00 am

Most of the time I refrain from talking about my obsessions. I understand that most people don't want to hear about my special interests.

hotaru
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2009, 1:27 am

Sort of... in certain companies I have no problems (Roush Fenway Racing discussions... heck, on one board I'm well known for my 'David Ragan attachement').

Ever since I revealed by 'love' for NASCAR in high school, I want to avoid the same problems it caused back then.

unreal3x
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2009, 2:58 am

My first obsession I have had since even as a child has been with computers, and suppose for instance in school they'll ask in a group what hobbies you have, I won't know what to put or talk about since the only "hobby" I had was computers, and computers are too geeky so I would be embarrassed.

Now days I am into cars aswell, and that is "cooler" so it can actually help me to talk with "the guys" or whatever.

Its just I know that how I talk about cars is a little different. Say for instance people are talking about older muscle cars, I'll be a little too much on the specifications (information) side of the conversation, where as most people would be talking about the feeling of sort of how good old muscle cars were back in the day and what they represent and things like that.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 3:21 am

I'm obsessed with Ben 10 - what do you think?
I keep it to myself or tell people that I know won't give me sh** about it.
There is very few people that are like that.

12 Jan 2009, 4:15 am

I refrain talking about Spokane and Benny & Joon if people have not seen the movie or been to the city. Who would want to listen about something they don't know about? They are boring then to talk to about.

I don't talk about this all the time to people who have seen the movie.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 4:59 am

Well, in "real life" I'm not social at all (no friends...), so I wouldn't have anyone to talk about any of them with... Except my mom, & I don't want to wierd her out (even more than I already have), so I try not to say anything about it. But I do sometimes, anyway.. & I'm sure she thinks it's a bit odd. For the past year & a half or longer, I've had this one obsession in particular.. on a person.. a famous person :oops:... & am humiliated to talk about it to any one, even online. I just feel wierd about it. I'm too old to have obsessions with famous people.

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 7:05 am

I used to talk about my obsessions much more than I do now - mainly I stopped when people would make fun of what I liked and cared about, and I didn't want my interests to get "hurt" again by callous people.

Now, I'll generally talk about things I'm heavily into that I think will be of interest or at least acceptable to like and talk about with other people - disability rights, anime, history, that sort of thing - and keep the rest to myself unless explicitly encouraged to talk about it. I do want to share my interests and opinions with people, I just don't want to be made fun of for it.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 8:51 am

I'm glad I have my cat site where I can talk about cats all I want to.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 1:02 pm

I hardly talk about Routemasters anymore even though I'm still very obsessed with them. I can't talk about them off the Internet and I don't feel safe talking about them, here. Where can I be myself?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 5:58 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I hardly talk about Routemasters anymore even though I'm still very obsessed with them. I can't talk about them off the Internet and I don't feel safe talking about them, here. Where can I be myself?

Why don't you feel safe here, CockneyRebel? Everybody enjoys your company here, me included. :)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 6:03 pm

I feel really embarrassed about my obsession with vampire anime. Even though I always talk about it here, in real life I only talk about it when my mom is around.

cmastler
Raven
Raven

15 Jan 2009, 12:51 pm

You should all know what i'm obsessed with by now...I don't even have to say it again cause it's practicly plastered in all my posts.

Surely you all feel less embaressed about what YOUR obsessed with now? :?