Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

marysson
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jan 2009, 10:52 am

Do obsessions in Aspergers switch from thing to thing over time, or are the "intense, narrow interests" about the same thing over time?

Durp
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2009, 10:54 am

For me my obsessions change over time. Don't know if that's true for everyone else, though.

raggle-taggle-gypsy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2009, 10:55 am

Mine have.

When I was a kid, it went from dinosaurs to UFOs to computer games to setting things on fire (probably my favourite one) and back to computer games again. I've probably missed out a few, but I've definately had more than one obsession at a time and those obsessions have changed as I got older.

But that's just me

in the arms of me raggle taggle gypsy-o

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 10:59 am

Ever since I got obsessed with meerkats and Lion King, I never changed obsessions. The most dangerous place in the world is between me and my meerkats.

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 11:25 am

I've had several obsessions over the years. Magic cards, video games, weight lifting, poker, & heavy metal music mainly. I burrow myself in these things to the point of becoming an expert, & stay with them long after anyone in the original group of friends who introduced me do.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 11:44 am

Some of my friends have had lifelong special interests and that are extremely specialized. I've had hundreds so far and some have more importance than others. I've outgrown about 75% of them but even today if I see, hear or read something that applies to an old obsession I key into it.
Half the fun is looking for new stuff to study and make into a project.

Cigam
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jan 2009, 12:00 pm

Some seem to hold on to the same interests for ever.

Personally ive been through many different interests.
Unfortunantly ive never been able to take much interest into anything that would be useful to me in life.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Jan 2009, 12:14 pm

For me, some interests remain with me all the time (music, writing, roller coasters). Others are more cyclic. I will get into them for about a month, then not think about them again for about a year. And occasionally, I will pick up a new interest (recently---the circus).

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2009, 12:27 pm

garyww wrote:
Some of my friends have had lifelong special interests and that are extremely specialized. I've had hundreds so far and some have more importance than others. I've outgrown about 75% of them but even today if I see, hear or read something that applies to an old obsession I key into it.

Ditto. Although I wish I stuck more to certain ones because I feel rather silly about old ones when I grow out of them.

turborocker5000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2009, 12:44 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
Ever since I got obsessed with meerkats and Lion King, I never changed obsessions. The most dangerous place in the world is between me and my meerkats.

ooo you're obsessed with the Lion King too!! :-D

Mine change too. Sometimes an obsession lasts a couple of months to maybe a year or so... but I've always been obsesed about planes...since the age of 3, and have never given up that obsession!
It's fluctuated in intensity now and again... but I can't get enough of planes!!

Charlie

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 2:20 pm

Obsessions change, some are more intense than others and some last longer than others.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 2:23 pm

My interest has always been in the realm of animated shows. Though I used to change interests every two years or so, I haven't changed obsessions since I got into Hellsing and Trinity Blood.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 2:26 pm

Quote:
garyww wrote:

ditto also.
i lose interest. but i am always really thrilled when info that relates to a past special interest comes my way. i feel like i am hugging a long lost friend who then goes on their way again. i am experiencing this at the moment with Mircea Eliade's writings.

the nature of special interests is different in AS people. I have one lifelong one and secondary and tertiary ones of varying duration. the intensity tends to be uniform however.
I am having an enforced searation form my speical interest at present due to holidays and being mum. it nearly frigging kills me. i hate it. it feels like dying a bit. oh well - i've learned to cop it with a few meltdowns thrown in just for good measure.

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 2:29 pm

My obsessions tend to wax and wane over time. I may move to something else for awhile, but eventually I come back.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 2:36 pm

I always have the "dominant obsession" which lasts years (currently it's SpongeBob) but I always have a small obsession which appears to change weekly.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2009, 2:41 pm

Mine change all the time. Currently, it's the Middle Ages.

www.neurointegrity.com