Has anyone read the book "Asperger's If You Only Knew&q

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Has anyone here read the book "Asperger's - If You Only Knew"?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 100%  100%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 14

Sophia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2009, 1:08 pm

If so what did you think of it. Were you able to relate? My name is Sophia and I am a fellow Aspie. My son also has Asperger's syndrome which prompted me to write my story. I hope it helps many people with their struggles. I wish I would have had something to refer to throughout my life. I look forward to your comments or suggestions.

Warmest regards,

Sophia Summers

17 Jan 2009, 1:37 pm

I have never heard of it. I didn't know till 6th grade but I didn't really think of it much when diagnosed and didn't even know what it was then. I just assumed it meant I had troubles with my school work and thought I could get rid of it then too if I tried harder. Back then, when my mother told me I had it, it meant I wasn't "normal" and there really was something wrong with me and I didn't like it. That was just me.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 2:12 pm

This is the first I've heard of it. Still, such books are meaningless to me - they only have merit for, to put it one way, "normal" aspies... Savant freakshows like myself, well, that's another thing altogether.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 2:15 pm

There's so many personal accounts around...I only read some when I was newly dx'ed and even then, not being a parent, I don't tend to read parenting based stuff.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 4:17 pm

first I've heard of it. If it shows up at my bookstore, I may give it a perusal.

Sophia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2009, 5:31 pm

Thank you all for your replies to my post. I'm not surprised that you haven't heard about it. The truth is I haven't had the courage to properly market it because I can't seem to get past the pressures of making appearances on talk shows and such. Especially since the book is so candid. Even though it makes me feel exposed, I take comfort in the knowledge that others will be able to benefit from our life's experiences. That being said, I'm taking baby steps for now.

I know Asperger's varies with every individual from mild, moderate to severe, however, you can always learn from another's experiences. Good luck to you all. I welcome any other comments or questions you may have. Unfortunately, I can't post my website unless I've made 5 posts, however, feel free to google my name or the book's title and you'll find my website. :)

Best regards,

Sophia Summers

[Nothing is impossible - There's a solution to everything]

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 5:41 pm

I'd love to read the book Sophia. I'll keep an eye out for it.
I just read a short description of it and already feel like opening up to the first chapter.
I feel like I could relate to it. And the title is very eye catching and thought provoking too.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 11:55 pm

When I first read your initial post I did Google it and stumble into your website. It says Barnes & Noble carries it, but unfortunately my local store doesn't carry it. I know this, because I check their shelves often to see if any new AS-related books have hit their shelves. I tend to prefer buying books on the local level rather than online, because I can take them off the shelf and actually browse them before buying.

Best of luck, and I understand the marketing issue! My inability to socialize market myself in the public eye is why my one and only business venture failed last year.

Sophia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2009, 9:54 am

Thank you Pensieve. I hope you get to read it soon. Thank you for your comments:

"I'd love to read the book Sophia. I'll keep an eye out for it.
I just read a short description of it and already feel like opening up to the first chapter.
I feel like I could relate to it. And the title is very eye catching and thought provoking too."

My hope for you is that you don't have to endure the uncertainty and pain of going in circles like my son and I had to do. If my book helps to guide you through any of your life's challenges, it will be worth the exposure associated with putting it out there. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Best,

Sophia Summers

Sophia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2009, 10:13 am

Thank you for your comments sbcmetroguy:

I tend to prefer buying books on the local level rather than online, because I can take them off the shelf and actually browse them before buying.

Best of luck, and I understand the marketing issue! My inability to socialize market myself in the public eye is why my one and only business venture failed last year.

I know what you mean, I never know if a book is for me unless I browse it as well. You can go to amazon.com and it gives you the option to look inside. I guess you understand the frustration that comes with AS on a social level. I'm sorry to hear about your business venture. You have high hopes and do everything right but then the idea of being in the public eye stands in your way. I wish you all the best. I look forward to talking to you again.