Page 4 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 9:43 pm

Most people object to Bush for one reason and that is the war policy.

Anti-war advocates really need to wake up and smell the millions of rotting corpses that litter the landscape of the world every year that do not die because of wars of any kind and then try to divert their energy to where it is really needed.

15,000,000 children worldwide die from simple starvation every year.
1,000,000 people worldwide die from simple malaria.
30,000 homeless in the United States alone die from exposure every year.

You can keep adding up the numbers for various causes. It is staggering in comparison to Iraqi war deaths which are:

16,500 civilians each year (average)
1,500 service men each year (average)

The math really says it all. Where are the hords or protestors against the homeless issue or any one of about twenty other issues that are far more important than the 'war'.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2009, 10:03 pm

garyww wrote:

Anti-war advocates really need to wake up and smell the millions of rotting corpses that litter the landscape of the world every year that do not die because of wars of any kind and then try to divert their energy to where it is really needed.

You can keep adding up the numbers for various causes. It is staggering in comparison to Iraqi war deaths which are:

The math really says it all. Where are the hords or protestors against the homeless issue or any one of about twenty other issues that are far more important than the 'war'.

Gary, there are a lot of anti-war people who see the issue in global terms, not just in terms of the war. United for Peace and Justice (UPJ) is one example. I am another. :)

millie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 10:09 pm

Quote:
garyww wrote:

cool garyww.
and cool too above nesh.
glad you yanks are not all right wing fascists who go to church and listen to those really scary and warpo preachers intheir masive churches. i am glad to know some of you are normal :wink: :wink:

you know, and i say it with all due respect to those fantastic americans i have met here on WP......you guys as a race aren't very much liked around the world and it is precisley because of the kind of cultural narcissism garyww highlights here. i think obama is already helping to change that in terms of the symbolism of a black pres. (and i know you liked hillary gary, but hey, i like obama.)

i have even met americans who get austria and australia confused! (that's been better since the sydney olympics,) but i think it says something.

good luck to the world.

Last edited by millie on 20 Jan 2009, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 10:12 pm

I demand more than hope.

This is not American Idol.

The issue is did a member of the Senate become President of the Government Club, or of all the People, to defend us from the Government Club.

Three branches of government, has Congress just taken over a second branch? One with the power to appoint the third?

The President is elected by the People, and should answer only to the People.

His role is to be a Champion of the People, who holds Veto Power over the Congress.

Nothing he said to get elected counts,

He is now the People's President of The United States, and Commander In Chief of the Armed Forces.

Besides that he gets a free house.

I will support him, even if he sends Congress to Gitmo, then gives it back to Cuba.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 10:33 pm

garyww wrote:

don't forget the thousands who get maimed on the ricefields in Cambodia by Personal land mines that USa produces and sells and refuses to ban.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 10:53 pm

You're right. I think if we keep making a list based upon body counts and the actual wars themselves kind of pale in comparison to the extent of human suffering for a variety of reasons all around the world. Here are the protests about the plight of people in general. The sad state of affairs is that most protestors are as political as the very people they protest against and can't seem to beyond the theatrics of politics.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2009, 12:08 am

garyww wrote:
You're right. I think if we keep making a list based upon body counts and the actual wars themselves kind of pale in comparison to the extent of human suffering for a variety of reasons all around the world. Here are the protests about the plight of people in general. The sad state of affairs is that most protestors are as political as the very people they protest against and can't seem to beyond the theatrics of politics.

Garyww, have you seen the video "This is What Democracy Looks Like," about the protests in Seattle against the WTO? You'll see folks there who can discern all the lines of interconnection between war, trade policy, homelessness, poverty, sexual violence, etc. all over the world. Many of them are young people, which gives me a lot of hope.

I agree with you about the theatrics of politics. The people I respect the most are the ones who get out there and actually try to help people. It's really easy to carry a sign in a march and then go home. What you do the next day is what matters most.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2009, 12:17 am

millie wrote:
you know, and i say it with all due respect to those fantastic americans i have met here on WP......you guys as a race aren't very much liked around the world and it is precisley because of the kind of cultural narcissism garyww highlights here.

i have even met americans who get austria and australia confused! (that's been better since the sydney olympics,) but i think it says something.

No way! We have such a top-notch educational system! And it's not like we go around bombing a little sovereign nation based on lies and absurd premises, or expect everyone in the world to speak English when we visit their little backwaters, or think our country is the greatest in the world without having ever visited another country.

I mean, sheesh.

You Aussies sure are misinformed. Yes sirree. Good thing I'm here to set you straight.

/end sarcasm

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 12:19 am

neshamaruach wrote:
millie wrote:
you know, and i say it with all due respect to those fantastic americans i have met here on WP......you guys as a race aren't very much liked around the world and it is precisley because of the kind of cultural narcissism garyww highlights here.

No way! We have such a top-notch educational system! And it's not like we go around bombing a little sovereign nation based on lies and absurd premises, or expect everyone in the world to speak English when we visit their little backwaters, or think our country is the greatest in the world without having ever visited another country.

I mean, sheesh.

You Aussies sure are misinformed. Yes sirree. Good thing I'm here to set you straight.

/end sarcasm

I would have never guessed that was sarcasm.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2009, 2:03 am

Padium wrote:
neshamaruach wrote:
millie wrote:

I mean, sheesh.

/end sarcasm

That's why I put the marker in. I realize that a lot of people have a hard time recognizing sarcasm, and I didn't want anyone to argue with me as though I were being serious.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 2:23 am

i am laughing so much nesh. i HAD NO IDEA IT WAS SARCASM EITHER. I was reading it thinking woah - have i maybe offended nesh?? my life is a stream of such offences actually and my bluntness on WP is nothing compared to how blunt i can be in person. i was going into "jesus millie, you have done it with that woman too......not again. ah dear....."

so i got to the end and just laughed my head off when i read the last line and then padium's post!
sometimes i really feel less alone with how it has been, by checkin g in here and seeing the posts by some of my mates!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 6:57 am

millie wrote:
Quote:
garyww wrote:

cool garyww.
and cool too above nesh.
glad you yanks are not all right wing fascists who go to church and listen to those really scary and warpo preachers intheir masive churches. i am glad to know some of you are normal :wink: :wink:

you know, and i say it with all due respect to those fantastic americans i have met here on WP......you guys as a race aren't very much liked around the world and it is precisley because of the kind of cultural narcissism garyww highlights here. i think obama is already helping to change that in terms of the symbolism of a black pres. (and i know you liked hillary gary, but hey, i like obama.)

good luck to the world.

You mean like Jeremiah Wright? I mean even his last name sounds like "right". He isn't what most would call a "right wing fascist", but he IS a LEFT wing fascist(Just like a fascist, but left wing). And he IS a "really scary and warpo preacher"!

And you call americans a race? Then I guess obama ISN'T an american, or am I black and don't know it?

As for getting austria and australia confused, the names DO sound similar. There are a lot of wierder mistakes people have made. I thought paul hogan got credit for helping the situation. Besides, there are some GERMANS that speak English so well that they could pass for a native English speaker. GRANTED most australians have an australian accent, but even some Germans have an almost british accent. BTW YEAH, I know germany is different from austria, but I wanted to make the distinction clearer, and they DO speak the same language.

And yeah, the worst thing the US could have done was NOTHING!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 7:11 am

neshamaruach wrote:
Padium wrote:
neshamaruach wrote:
millie wrote:

I mean, sheesh.

/end sarcasm

That's why I put the marker in. I realize that a lot of people have a hard time recognizing sarcasm, and I didn't want anyone to argue with me as though I were being serious.

Well, there ARE people that REALLY think that way. BTW for the record, I don't. I even said here earlier that the educational system STINKS. Frankly, it seems that most places have educational systems that aren't as good as they used to be. It certainly isn't only the US. I even once had an argument about the maintainability of Social Security, if it is run right, with my uncle. After a while, I realized something. As a percentage, he paid FAR less than I do! So we were BOTH right! Sometimes things change, and change the veracity of related circumstances.

Hershel_Numanox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2009, 7:52 am

It doesn't really matter who gets in because the same people are in control regardless. Just look at the nineties when people got fed up with Bush seniors right wing politics they brought in Clinton to save the day. And now they have done exactly the same thing with Bush Jr and Obama. It really worries me that people see him as some kind of saviour or messia figure. Put your faith in yourself.

Remember the failure in the florida voting system when Bush LOST the election. A quick manipulation rectified the results. If you look at the company records of the Electronic voting system used you will find Bush's name as one of the owners. Don't believe me? Look it up for yourself. The American public and the rest of the world are being played with out even knowing it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 8:01 am

Hershel_Numanox wrote:
It doesn't really matter who gets in because the same people are in control regardless. Just look at the nineties when people got fed up with Bush seniors right wing politics they brought in Clinton to save the day. And now they have done exactly the same thing with Bush Jr and Obama. It really worries me that people see him as some kind of saviour or messia figure. Put your faith in yourself.

Remember the failure in the florida voting system when Bush LOST the election. A quick manipulation rectified the results. If you look at the company records of the Electronic voting system used you will find Bush's name as one of the owners. Don't believe me? Look it up for yourself. The American public and the rest of the world are being played with out even knowing it.

And WHY does FLORIDA get blamed!?!?!? YEARS before, and YEARS after, at least MY districts in california had the SAME RIDICULOUSLY stupid ballot!! !! !! Either everyone is BRAINDEAD, or they mentioned florida ONLY because it was a swing state, and could get the kind of political attention. If they were REALLY serious, they would have scrapped and standardized the system DECADES ago! IBM NEVER made a computer punch card that was as stupid as the PRE-PUNCHED cards they had for voting.

Frankly, I am APPALED that they did what they did with florida for 4 reasons!

1. Recounting those ballots is IMPOSSIBLE! They are WAY too fragile, and I doubt they even really work once!
2. Things change that make recounting meaningless.
3. They changed the rules, so the SAME count would still change the outcome.
4. They did NOT recount all the affected ballots, only some in florida!

bluebandit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2009, 9:21 am

Well, I'm happy. YEAH, President Obama!! !

Seriously, though I really wanted a democratic president. If only because we'll need a couple Supreme Court justices, and I believe they should be liberal. We need balance.

The icing on the cake is that he's black and he's very popular. His race is important because it's tangible evidence of how the country has changed and still changing. Even when things are better, people often need to see that it is.

I think his popularity is important, if it inspires people. Hope is important to America. We do are best work as country when we are working towards a common goal. If people feel excited and proud as Americans, well that's the first step. (Also doesn't hurt if people around world feel better about the U.S. as well.)