Page 6 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2019, 10:20 am

Fnord wrote:
The best excuse for getting out of jury duty I've found so far is to say something like..

"Based on the charges and what both sides have already said during this selection process, I have already reached the opinion that the defendant is guilty of __________. Also, from my own personal experiences with people who have committed that (those) particular crime(s), I can honestly say that they all used the exact same excuses that the defense counsel has just now stated. So, your Honor, I cannot state with a clear conscience that I could render a fair judgement of the case at hand."

The last time, it was a young man charged with both DUI and drunk driving. Not only did the judge dismiss me, but he dismissed several other candidates who had not yet been interviewed.

That's a great way of putting it, Fnord. That's exactly how I felt about the particular case I was called for.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2019, 1:58 pm

I don't know if AS alone would be enough for them to excuse someone. There would probably have to be an explanation of how the AS impairs one's ability to serve. A doctor's note wouldn't hurt either. But still who knows.

I was sent a questionnaire when I was summoned. So between what I answered, a doctor's note I hate gotten, and additional information I included to do with AS, anxiety, depression, a sleep disorder, and the fact I'm entirely reliant on others for transportation... they sent me a letter back excusing me for life. 8O :|