Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2009, 6:15 pm

Hi--

A few of us have shared the fact that we are "hippie chicks," and I'm wondering how many others there are on WP.

The hippies were a huge part of my childhood. I remember going to the public gardens in Boston when I was maybe 5 years old (around 1963). In those days, most people still got dressed up to go into town, and we were all wearing our nicest clothes. In the park, there were some teenagers in jeans and t-shirts and beads, with long hair. I don't think I'd have noticed them, but my grandfather started waxing indignant about them, which of course made them quite interesting to me. I couldn't figure out why it mattered what people wore when they went into town. An early Aspie moment, I guess.

Anyway, I grew up during the war and completely identified with the hippie chick, peacenik, flowers in your hair approach to life. My clothing of choice consisted of embroidered peasant shirts, India prints, painter's pants, long skirts, bell-bottom jeans with lots of patches (the more the better), beads, and huarache sandals. Oh, and of course, I had long hair. And drew mod flowers on everything. :flower:

Anyone else?

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 7:06 pm

Well I missed all that (1975), but my parents and everyone else have told me all my life that I am a throwback to the 60's. If I'd been there, I'd have definately been one.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 7:12 pm

The very best women that God (or anything else) ever made. Salt of the earth and good mothers, lovers and friends.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 7:18 pm

Is being a raver close enough? Sure ravers use more chemicals than naturals but...

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 7:20 pm

I don't really see any similarities between Hippies and Ravers myself..lol

--Aldous Huxley

v0lume
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2009, 7:25 pm

Hippies are way cooler than ravers, no offense to ravers lol. Hippies are just about always nice, and are always creative and artistic.. Just very pleasent and smart people in general. They just have a different way of doing things.

The hippy sterio-type like from Futurama however, is horrible and virtually doesn't exist.. It's kinda funny at the same time too though.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 7:30 pm

Nights_Like_These wrote:
I don't really see any similarities between Hippies and Ravers myself..lol

PLUR vs. Pleace Love Unity... the same thing.

Both are peace movements, one being during the peaks of the Cold War, the other being post-Cold War.

One had communes, the other had abandoned warehouses.

One's music was derived from the mix of cultures (East Asian mixed with Native and American music) and other was from a mix of cultures and the abandonment of the industrial age (European, African, American and the Post-Thatcher Era.)

IT's vague.

But then again there are hippie raves in Western Canada so...

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 7:36 pm

The love, peace, anti-war, flower stuff was poularized by the media who didn't have a clue about hippies but they did know what sold magazines and newspapers.

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2009, 8:07 pm

Quote:
The love, peace, anti-war, flower stuff was poularized by the media who didn't have a clue about hippies but they did know what sold magazines and newspapers.

So what were the hippies really about then? Someone who wasn't there would like to know.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 8:11 pm

Living.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 8:17 pm

Not a chick, and a warmonger over here.

Make war.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 8:21 pm

Well, I wasn't really alive during the hippie era, but I could probably classify as a modern day hippie chick :D I'm certainly in love with nature, and I can lie on the grass for hours and make daisy chains. I do tend to wear flowers in my head on occasion. :lol: As far as clothes go, I wear pretty much anything (I have clothes of many different styles) but my favourite clothes are ones with really bright colours/multicoloured, or black.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 8:23 pm

Do you get naked with strangers in the forest?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 8:40 pm

I don't call myself a hippie, but I frequently get called one by other people. The same goes for Flakey. He really looks the part, but does not think himself to be one, at least compared to the stoner-hard-core-neo-hippie types where we live.

Everybody just has to try to classify everyone else. I guess we might count as hippies. I am a vegetarian. I wear patchouli. We have an unconventional lifestyle...blah blah..I just don't like the lable...and I don't smoke pot..and neither does Flakey...not that it synonymous, but it seems to be sometimes.

My mom was a hippie. She was 18 in 1968, and totally looked the part...rail skinny long hair...embrordered clothes etc. She even went and lived in a commune in Ohio for a while.
She said that she never felt like she fit in with them. They were too conformist for her taste.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 8:50 pm

Your mom was one of the 'real' hippies for sure.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 8:55 pm

Still is.