Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 2:56 pm

...Are you bad at remembering faces and names? I am.

My mum asked me why and I guessed it was because my mind dosent think faces, names and maybe people altogether are not a high priority but I think there might be more than that. Not sure exactly what, though.

Any thoughts on this?

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 2:57 pm

I have an excellent memory for some things, particularly things I've read/ seen in text.

But I am abysmal at remembering names and have difficulty telling people apart from face to face.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 3:04 pm

I can remember very details, construction, incidences, but I have great difficulties in remembering names or persons. I do very well in remembering the function of a particular person, his office or his conduct, but it hard for me to make the relation to particular human entity.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 3:09 pm

Yes. I can remember my childhood in great detail, almost anything I care to memorize. I don't remember people that I don't know well or their names because I don't 'flag' them for memory in most cases.

After I've known someone for a few months, I can usually recognise them.

Ixtli
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2009, 3:54 pm

Well, although I remember lots of details about shows I watched even several years ago, I can barely ever recall a name, possibly because I rarely address people by their names, it's so unnatural to me. Of course, after some weeks, I'll know the full name permanently. I'm better with faces but clearly below average in that category too. This deficieny probably derives from my inability to sustain eye contact for more than a few seconds.

I think these are common AS symptoms.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 3:58 pm

Sometimes it takes me a while if it's someone I haven't seen in a while.

Once I bumped into someone from primary school at the village store, and recognised him after a second or two, but I kinda pretended not to for a few more minutes, cos people were horrible to me in primary school and it seemed like a good idea at the time, LOL.

y es como un semestre"

Ixtli
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2009, 4:15 pm

Quote:
Once I bumped into someone from primary school at the village store, and recognised him after a second or two, but I kinda pretended not to for a few more minutes, cos people were horrible to me in primary school and it seemed like a good idea at the time, LOL.

I think, in that situation, I might have done the same. :lol:

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 4:30 pm

I have an excellent long term memory and a pathetic short term memory! LOL I will even remember some dates that some things happened over 20 years ago... things that were significant to me but would be nothing to anyone else. Yet if someone tells me something 2 hours ago, I will forget what it was.

20 Jan 2009, 4:31 pm

I have a good memory in certain things but I am horrible at remembering details about who I talked to online just once and never again and I suck at keeping deals. Don't ever make an agreement with me, I am most likely to not follow it. :wink:

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 4:31 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
Sometimes it takes me a while if it's someone I haven't seen in a while.

I saw someone from primary school and they said hi to me but I had no idea who they where!! ! Only after them telling me their name and reminding me of a few things did I remember who the hell they where!

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 4:38 pm

lionesss wrote:
I have an excellent long term memory and a pathetic short term memory! LOL I will even remember some dates that some things happened over 20 years ago... things that were significant to me but would be nothing to anyone else. Yet if someone tells me something 2 hours ago, I will forget what it was.

I still remember something that happened on December the 4th last year, something completely random.

y es como un semestre"

Ravenchild
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2009, 5:38 pm

Strange, I generally have an excellent memory for anything I have seen written down (although I need my smartphone to remind me where I'm supposed to be and what I need to do - short term memory isn't great, I guess!) but I'm terrible with names. Even if someone is introduced by name, tells me three or four times, and is wearing something distinctive, I will forget it. Same with verbal instructions. I'm hopeless! I appear to be the typical absent-minded scientist (mad hair and all!). I often remember the face, but if I encounter them in an unexpected situation I may not immediately recognise them....
How does that work?

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 5:49 pm

There is only one person I have been able to remember the name of without effort, her name is Caylee, and the reason is she looks almost exactly like Caylee from Firefly.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 6:46 pm

DeLoreanDude wrote:
...Are you bad at remembering faces and names? I am.

My mum asked me why and I guessed it was because my mind dosent think faces, names and maybe people altogether are not a high priority but I think there might be more than that. Not sure exactly what, though.

Any thoughts on this?

Absolutely, my brain interprets any people based situation as 'low priority', and stores or processes such information accordingly. it's the opposite for NTs. it's the non-pack mentality of AS I guess, if we had the pack mentality we'd find such things very important.

moonlightwhisp
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2009, 10:38 pm

That's definitely how my memory works. I can usually remember names if I learn their last name with their first name though. That's always weird to explain to people when I'm getting to know them... Lately I've been spelling out the name in my head after I'm told it and that seems to help too. Faces I got help with though. I started formal art training at a young age, so there's kind of a subconscious observation thing going on whenever I look at someone. I tend to memorize unique facial features and recognize them when I see the person associated with them. If I read something, it gets filed in my memory right away. I'm still horrible with birthdays and ages for some reason though.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 10:48 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
lionesss wrote:

I still remember something that happened on December the 4th last year, something completely random.

I remember what happened on May 16, 1985, or December 1, 1987, as well as many other dates... something completely random as well :D Weird how that happens huh?