Does child abuse cause Developmental Disabilites

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 11:11 am

Environmental factors that a child experiences after birth can cause developmental delays and developmental abnormalities even if said child would have been normally developing under different circumstances. Just thinking of feral children here and injuries and unfortunate but surprisingly common incidents that are often bordering on neglect that also cause noticeable developmental delays in various areas.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 11:27 am

Too much anxiety can cause impairments which permanent in nature as can cause lasting damage to the brain. This (anxiety) can be bought on by a disorder but also can be bought on by child abuse.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 1:55 pm

To add: of course, an actual PDD is to be differentiated from autistic-like behaviour that can be caused by abuse.

The ICD-10 diagnoses of reactive attachment disorder of childhood and disinhibited attachment disorder of childhood describe patterns of behaviour that can be similar to that of Asperger's.

ICD-10 wrote:
F94.1 Reactive attachment disorder of childhood
Starts in the first five years of life and is characterized by persistent abnormalities in the child's pattern of social relationships that are associated with emotional disturbance and are reactive to changes in environmental circumstances (e.g. fearfulness and hypervigilance, poor social interaction with peers, aggression towards self and others, misery, and growth failure in some cases). The syndrome probably occurs as a direct result of severe parental neglect, abuse, or serious mishandling.
Use additional code, if desired, to identify any associated failure to thrive or growth retardation.
Excludes: Asperger's syndrome ( F84.5 )
disinhibited attachment disorder of childhood ( F94.2 )
maltreatment syndromes ( T74.- )
normal variation in pattern of selective attachment
sexual or physical abuse in childhood, resulting in psychosocial problems ( Z61.4-Z61.6 )

F94.2 Disinhibited attachment disorder of childhood
A particular pattern of abnormal social functioning that arises during the first five years of life and that tends to persist despite marked changes in environmental circumstances, e.g. diffuse, nonselectively focused attachment behaviour, attention-seeking and indiscriminately friendly behaviour, poorly modulated peer interactions; depending on circumstances there may also be associated emotional or behavioural disturbance.
Affectionless psychopathy
Institutional syndrome

Excludes: Asperger's syndrome ( F84.5 )
hospitalism in children ( F43.2 )
hyperkinetic disorders ( F90.- )
reactive attachment disorder of childhood ( F94 .1)

Also, in the same section in which there's PTSD there's what was formerly considered hospitalism in children:

Quote:
F43.2 Adjustment disorders
States of subjective distress and emotional disturbance, usually interfering with social functioning and performance, arising in the period of adaptation to a significant life change or a stressful life event. The stressor may have affected the integrity of an individual's social network (bereavement, separation experiences) or the wider system of social supports and values (migration, refugee status), or represented a major developmental transition or crisis (going to school, becoming a parent, failure to attain a cherished personal goal, retirement). Individual predisposition or vulnerability plays an important role in the risk of occurrence and the shaping of the manifestations of adjustment disorders, but it is nevertheless assumed that the condition would not have arisen without the stressor. The manifestations vary and include depressed mood, anxiety or worry (or mixture of these), a feeling of inability to cope, plan ahead, or continue in the present situation, as well as some degree of disability in the performance of daily routine. Conduct disorders may be an associated feature, particularly in adolescents. The predominant feature may be a brief or prolonged depressive reaction, or a disturbance of other emotions and conduct.
Culture shock
Grief reaction
Hospitalism in children
Excludes:
separation anxiety disorder of childhood ( F93.0 )

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 1:59 pm

Also, in the same section in which there's PTSD there's what was formerly considered hospitalism in children:

[quote]F43.2 Adjustment disorders
States of subjective distress and emotional disturbance, usually interfering with social functioning and performance, arising in the period of adaptation to a significant life change or a stressful life event. The stressor may have affected the integrity of an individual's social network (bereavement, separation experiences) or the wider system of social supports and values (migration, refugee status), or represented a major developmental transition or crisis (going to school, becoming a parent, failure to attain a cherished personal goal, retirement). Individual predisposition or vulnerability plays an important role in the risk of occurrence and the shaping of the manifestations of adjustment disorders, but it is nevertheless assumed that the condition would not have arisen without the stressor. The manifestations vary and include depressed mood, anxiety or worry (or mixture of these), a feeling of inability to cope, plan ahead, or continue in the present situation, as well as some degree of disability in the performance of daily routine. Conduct disorders may be an associated feature, particularly in adolescents. The predominant feature may be a brief or prolonged depressive reaction, or a disturbance of other emotions and conduct.

Thats what I have been hospitalised for and PTSD and PD.

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2009, 10:15 pm

Ticker wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
Yes it can. Ever heard of feral children? Some people lock them away in their own home and they never see daylight and the real world so their minds don't develope the skills so therefore it stays wired that way so it's like brain damage because they will never recover from it and be normal.

I've always wondered about this myself. Because my mom didn't take care of me and made me stay in my room and only come out at meals and for a bath. I was ordered not to speak to other kids at school. I think my mom has AS. I never learned facial expressions or social stuff from her. She also left me alone and I learned to cook for myself at 3 yrs old. So are Aspies born that way or created by abuse?

They used to say Kanners autism was caused by "refrigerator moms", but then they changed the view of that. But it makes a person wonder. Dissociation disorder in adults is often said to be caused by neglect or abuse during childhood.

My childhood was similar to this, but maybe not as bad as yours. Both my parents are unaware Aspies and I think they never even knew that they were supposed to be teaaching me things. They saw their role as punishers only. I got spanked for everything, half the time I didn't even know why. Also they don't know how to have a conversation, so I grew up and never had a conversation with my parents. Is that why I didn't talk when I was a kid? Because they never talked to me? Also my mom didn't take care of my basic physical needs - my hair was always matted, I was rarely bathed, I wore the same clothes for a week, etc. They usually fed me though. Sometimes they withheld meals as punishment. But that was infrequent.

But they just never taught me anything - social niceties, how to be a friend, how to ask for help, how to deal with any social situation, how to choose a career, how to cook, how it works to make a living. They just never bothered to say anything to me, except for yelling at me when my existence was inconvenient.

I am sorting through a lot of crap, and will probably write a book, but there are certain Aspie things about myself that can't possibly come from abuse or neglect. Like my photographic memory and high-level visual thinking skills. And my attraction to objects that spin, and the fact that I feel that I can't possibly live my life without knowing how absolutely everything works.

AlexGrim
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jan 2009, 10:22 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Yes it can. Ever heard of feral children? Some people lock them away in their own home and they never see daylight and the real world so their minds don't develope the skills so therefore it stays wired that way so it's like brain damage because they will never recover from it and be normal.

Hmmm, i think that may have contributed to my personality... If there is an existing condition, i speculate that this may further the symptoms. If there is not an existing condition, then this activity may develop a more fertile ground for a condition to develop, as the person's logic can become deviated by their experiences.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 10:37 pm

Child abuse can even go unnoticed by both parents of the child they are mentally damaging...

Example: My mother would have sexual relations with other men while being married and living with my dad, and my dad would keep trying to patch things up while she just drained him of his resources... I of course heard everything because of my hypersensitive hearing. My mom was so abusive to him one day that he had to ask me to make her leave the house. She is the most manipulative people I know, and is very good at it. I have even stronger manipulation skills than she does, I just choose to not use them because I don't want to be anything like her. That which she did indirectly caused mental abuse to her children, who she stilll sees as an investment that will help her to retire. Well, I've got news for her then, I refuse to lend her money for anything, and I would give her very limited assistance, but I will gladly drain her of her funds.

My dad, after divorcing her, met the perfect woman for him, and remarried, and now his current wife is the best thing that ever happened to my family. Because of her, I am much closer to being integrated into society fully. I can do things that wouldn't have otherwise been possible, such as attend university. She also forced a diagnosis onto me because she knew I wasn't normal, and because of that I am learning more about who I am and how to improve myself. Without her, I would not be capable of most of what I do. I am glad my dad got it right the second time around.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 10:44 pm

I experienced severe abuse but in regards to neglect I only felt neglected emotionally. My mom always keep the place clean. She always cooked a healthy dinner every day. I was never with out clothes. I was never cold but I still believe that possibly, as psychologist and psychiatrists always seem to state, that alot of my problems in regards to anxiety, disassocaiting and possibly developmental disability is caused by my upbringing.
"I have been through alot of trauma" they say.

Last edited by BellaDonna on 27 Jan 2009, 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlexGrim
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jan 2009, 10:59 pm

Padium wrote:
She is the most manipulative people I know, and is very good at it. I have even stronger manipulation skills than she does, I just choose to not use them because I don't want to be anything like her. That which she did indirectly caused mental abuse to her children, who she stilll sees as an investment that will help her to retire. Well, I've got news for her then, I refuse to lend her money for anything, and I would give her very limited assistance, but I will gladly drain her of her funds.

My dad, after divorcing her, met the perfect woman for him, and remarried, and now his current wife is the best thing that ever happened to my family. Because of her, I am much closer to being integrated into society fully.

For what it is worth: i am very proud of you, as a person. My ex wife is like your mother, and she has my 3 year old daughter, and i do not even have visitation. She is also verbally and sometimes physically abusive, which worries me, as i've just found out through police records that there are NUMEROUS abuse and domestic violence incidents arising from her and her multi-felony-offense boyfriend (who happens to be 15 years older than her). I have spent over $8,000 on fighting for my daughter in a court that is very notoriously prejudice against men, and i am now fighting pro se as i have no more money, and they ruined my chances for employment (another story all together). I fear that the mental and emotional damage that is being done to my daughter, at such a young and vital developmental age, will be virtually irreversible. Whoever you are, i hope that my little girl is smart like you.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 11:08 pm

AlexGrim wrote:
Padium wrote:
She is the most manipulative people I know, and is very good at it. I have even stronger manipulation skills than she does, I just choose to not use them because I don't want to be anything like her. That which she did indirectly caused mental abuse to her children, who she stilll sees as an investment that will help her to retire. Well, I've got news for her then, I refuse to lend her money for anything, and I would give her very limited assistance, but I will gladly drain her of her funds.

My dad, after divorcing her, met the perfect woman for him, and remarried, and now his current wife is the best thing that ever happened to my family. Because of her, I am much closer to being integrated into society fully.

For what it is worth: i am very proud of you, as a person. My ex wife is like your mother, and she has my 3 year old daughter, and i do not even have visitation. She is also verbally and sometimes physically abusive, which worries me, as i've just found out through police records that there are NUMEROUS abuse and domestic violence incidents arising from her and her multi-felony-offense boyfriend (who happens to be 15 years older than her). I have spent over $8,000 on fighting for my daughter in a court that is very notoriously prejudice against men, and i am now fighting pro se as i have no more money, and they ruined my chances for employment (another story all together). I fear that the mental and emotional damage that is being done to my daughter, at such a young and vital developmental age, will be virtually irreversible. Whoever you are, i hope that my little girl is smart like you.

My advice of the day: Never give up, and never look back. Do all you can, and when that is not enough, push yourself even further. If it helps, try to find a flaw in her statements, and make everything crumble because of that flaw. If a brick is removed from a mighty castle, it will still stand tall, but if the brick was taken from the bottom, it will stand tall until something eploits its structural flaws.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 11:58 pm

There is a gene short-named MAO-A. People born with a specific variation, whom have been victims of abuse, are more likely to become abusers themselves instead of shrugging it off. I think this is before factoring in such things as culture, poverty, etc.