Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 4:21 pm

I have this strange desire I haven't had for a couple of years now. I need intense physical activity, but not only am I too outa shape for it, I also have lung damage and my lungs won't wake it that well. Problem is I need this intense physical activity to help my mind right now and I don't know how I can get it. Just going for a long walk wouldn't cut it, doing wind sprinds would. Jogging wouldn't work, going and doing a sport like wrestling would work. Problem is how do I get this physical activity without bothering my already weakened lungs, and out of shape body?

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 4:36 pm

I actually had my heart really pumping last night with the remote button on the TV controller but for real
heavy physical exercise for me is very very good mentally as much as physically.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 4:46 pm

Long walk might not do the trick but what about hiking or climbing?

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 4:48 pm

Xelebes wrote:

Don't have anywhere to hike or climb around here, but yeah it would...

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 4:52 pm

Weight lifting works for me. It is something you can gradually build up to. All of the reps make for some good stimming too.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 4:54 pm

Weights are the way. You can move steel even if you can hardly breath, believe me.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 4:57 pm

Metal_Man wrote:
Weight lifting works for me. It is something you can gradually build up to. All of the reps make for some good stimming too.

Problem is I can't push myself to my limits, my lungs can't handle that, and if I weight lift, I will push my self to my limits as there is no other way to weight lift. I will find the most weight I can move and just see how long I can hold up against it, within reason of course. If I can't do at least 2 sets of it without pushing my limits, it is too heavey. I want 2 sets to have my muscles becomming barely able to move, with the third set not ending until I can't move them any more. That is the only way I can weight lift.

Edit: I know weight lifting like that is unhealthy, but it is the only way I feel like I have gotten anything out of it, and I generally don't stick to it because I find it hard to find the time to go and do it... Which sucks because they have amazing facilities here at my university.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 5:13 pm

Padium wrote:
Xelebes wrote:

How far is Cambridge from the Horseshoe?

My Blog

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 5:15 pm

Padium wrote:
Metal_Man wrote:

Problem is I can't push myself to my limits, my lungs can't handle that, and if I weight lift, I will push my self to my limits as there is no other way to weight lift. I will find the most weight I can move and just see how long I can hold up against it, within reason of course. If I can't do at least 2 sets of it without pushing my limits, it is too heavey. I want 2 sets to have my muscles becomming barely able to move, with the third set not ending until I can't move them any more. That is the only way I can weight lift.

Edit: I know weight lifting like that is unhealthy, but it is the only way I feel like I have gotten anything out of it, and I generally don't stick to it because I find it hard to find the time to go and do it... Which sucks because they have amazing facilities here at my university.

The BEST way, that a number swear by, and I have had great luck with, is lifting perhaps 80% of your max for a few reps, or taking what you can JUST do for 10, and pushing it to 20. But those are WAY too taxing. If you do that second one right, you could be breathing heavy for quite a while.

SOME now advocate taking as little as 80% of the weight you can do 10 reps for, and doing 2 sets. It CAN work.

BTW you can ALSO walk in the mall, towards the food court(the LONG way). If you are REALLY out of shape, slow down, or stop on benches. When you get the the foodcourt, if you aren't tired, return. If you are, have a drink, a little fat free snack, or something low in fat, rest, and walk back. When you feel like it, find a place with preferably at least 3 flights of stairs. Walk as many flights as you can without REALLY hurting. If it is too simple, walk down and do it again. You will lose weight, get stronger, and build lung capacity. If you HATE malls, or crowds, go EARLY! Some malls open LONG before the shops JUST FOR THIS! Others open like just before the first shop. You MIGHT even meet some people. Don't be surprised if a couple dozen are doing this.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 5:26 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Padium wrote:
Metal_Man wrote:

BTW you can ALSO walk in the mall, towards the food court(the LONG way). If you are REALLY out of shape, slow down, or stop on benches. When you get the the foodcourt, if you aren't tired, return. If you are, have a drink, a little fat free snack, or something low in fat, rest, and walk back. When you feel like it, find a place with preferably at least 3 flights of stairs. Walk as many flights as you can without REALLY hurting. If it is too simple, walk down and do it again. You will lose weight, get stronger, and build lung capacity. If you HATE malls, or crowds, go EARLY! Some malls open LONG before the shops JUST FOR THIS! Others open like just before the first shop. You MIGHT even meet some people. Don't be surprised if a couple dozen are doing this.

I'm not that out of shape, I just get this feeling once in a while, the urge to do something physicaly INTENSE, that will either push me to the limits of my physical ability, or make me feel like I have. I power walk when I have time, and I haven't done that in a while, but when I get this urge, it takes intensity to get me feeling normal again. I need to get my heart beating as fast as it can, just to make me feel like I should, physical exhaustion helps, and I can't push myself as hard as I want to right now, as I have damaged lungs (and I blame a special interest for my damaged lungs, as I wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place if it weren't for me wanting so desperatly to).... I don't know what my lungs can handle, so I want to keep it light. I would love a nice hike through a mountain, but nope, none here.... The mountain air would be beautiful.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 5:28 pm

Xelebes wrote:
Padium wrote:
Xelebes wrote:

Never heard of it.

MegaAndy
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2009, 5:34 pm

"physical" "excercise"
i don't know them words

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 6:03 pm

Padium wrote:
Xelebes wrote:
Padium wrote:
Xelebes wrote:

Never heard of it.

Horseshoe = Golden Horseshoe = Niagara-Toronto-Oshawa

My Blog

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 6:12 pm

Xelebes wrote:
Padium wrote:
Xelebes wrote:
Padium wrote:
Xelebes wrote:

Never heard of it.

Horseshoe = Golden Horseshoe = Niagara-Toronto-Oshawa

Oh, about an hour in from niagra, and Toronto, more for Oshawa. And that would be if I had transportation.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 7:05 pm

Well I smoked, I drank alcohol and ate like crap for 20 years. I didn't smoke and drink for 20 years though.
But once I started to eat better, do light exercise my strength built up and I could do more hardcore exercising.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 7:08 pm

I am 62. I have smoked, drank, done drugs, fornicated with loose women and howled at the moon and I can still lift some steel to stay in somewhat of a shape even though I can barely breath anymore. So if I can do it anybody can do it.