Difference between being Introverted and being Reclusive?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

rick42
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jun 2018, 8:22 pm

Personally I'm thinking being a reclusive. I have been feeling more and more withdrawn lately.Despite the fact that I have a high paying job,I don't feel that happy.Don't have many friends,never had a girlfriend(most likely never will),haven't went on Vacations in over a year.For the most part,I just stay at home when I'm not working.I'm starting to feel that there's a correlation between people with Aspergers/Autism and being reclusive.I have been a introverted person for 34 years,but I thinking about being a reclusive person.Is being reclusive just a extreme version being introverted?

Last edited by rick42 on 28 Jun 2018, 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 8:34 pm

Except for the high paying job part, I can relate to what you are saying.

Spectral Aurtist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2018, 8:47 pm

rick42 wrote:
Personally I'm thinking being a reclusive. I been feeling more and more withdrawn lately.Despite I have a high paying job,I don't feel that happy.Don't have many friends,never had a girlfriend(most likely never will),haven't went on Vacations in over a year.For the most part,I just stay at home when I'm not working.I'm starting to feel that there's a correlation between people with Aspergers/Autism and being reclusive.I have been a introverted person for 34 years,but I thinking about being a reclusive person.Is being reclusive just extreme version being introverted?

I'm not decided on if I even believe that introversion is a real thing.To be clear, I don't think a preference and a natural aptitude or lack thereof for dealing with people has got significant baring on who a person is and I think it's better for you to judge that about yourself on your own terms and in my own experience this is freeing and comes with a sense of lifting a great weight. You can be any person it makes you happy to be.
I AM sure that being a recluse is a real thing, so I don't think they are the same.

This is a very hard subject for me to discuss, I myself am somewhat reclusive and I am not happy about it. I just don't fit in. I can't be like everyone else...whatever that is mine is broken and I am honestly glad, I like who I am and i don't want to change it. I'm not mean at all I listen really well, I'm friendly and so forth. You shouldn't choose to be a recluse I don't think. There may come a time when the option to not be a recluse anymore vanishes and it's better I think to try if you can. just remember, you can't see the future and you never know what cool stuff might happen if you give it a chance to.

hope it helps

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 9:10 pm

You sound like a better-paid version of me. Undoubtedly depression factors heavily into my reclusive nature. I don't know where you are in that situation, but you should be aware of it so it doesn't sneak up on you.

I feel happier when I don't have to travel on a vacation, spend time with friends, worry about leaving the house though. Those things make me tired/stressed. At the same time, it feels like I'm missing something. Do you feel that way at all?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 5:49 pm

About 50 percent of the world are introverts and 50 percent are extroverts. Most Aspies are introverts but make up only a small percentage of the introvert world. Many Aspies like the quiet and beauty and wonder of nature. So some choose to live the life of a hermit, far away from the city lights. I suspect there are many Aspies living in Alaska. But if you want to become a recluse, since you currently have a high paying job, you might set that as a goal and build up a nest egg so that you have something to rely on during the transition - so that you can ease into it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 7:24 pm

If your question is "what is the difference?" the difference is that "being reclusive" means living like hermit away from society.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 7:28 pm

Kurt Cobain was introverted.
Enya is a recluse.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Citymale
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2018, 8:30 pm

rick42 wrote:
Personally I'm thinking being a reclusive. I have been feeling more and more withdrawn lately.Despite the fact that I have a high paying job,I don't feel that happy.Don't have many friends,never had a girlfriend(most likely never will),haven't went on Vacations in over a year.For the most part,I just stay at home when I'm not working.I'm starting to feel that there's a correlation between people with Aspergers/Autism and being reclusive.I have been a introverted person for 34 years,but I thinking about being a reclusive person.Is being reclusive just a extreme version being introverted?

I have family within driving distance and an aspiring friend.. but I need a lot of alone time to relax before going to work and I have poor time management and hard time concentrating to start a task. I end up living as a recluse. It sucks. I am 31. I never had a girlfriend but achieved dates and a first kiss and sort of even sex twice.

I would advise against becoming a complete recluse. I work with elderly people and those who live alone - become weird and unhappy and u healthy it seems. Some people look happy and pleasant, ones who are educated and have hobbies. But I don’t see life being meaningful that way.

I don’t have the answer for myself. In my twenties I was working on overcoming autism. Now I don’t believe in trying anymore. I have depression. Also my sex drive is down.

Don’t be recluse - brainstorm and fin your own way not to be a recluse.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Jun 2018, 9:04 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
If your question is "what is the difference?" the difference is that "being reclusive" means living like hermit away from society.
My mom used to say I wanted to be a hermit or that I was going to become one. I mostly just wanted to be left alone when I wasn't in skewl. I never participated in any extracurricular activities & didn't really have friends I saw outside of skewl. I mostly just stayed in my room except when I wanted to eat or when my parents wanted me for something. I was kind of the same way after I graduated high-skewl too. I mostly only went out when I could eat out or when we were going to places where I could fill out job apps. I spent most of my time on computer. I did have online friends thou & an online girlfriend but I didn't really socialize with anyone offline.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 8:59 am

Fnord wrote:
Kurt Cobain was introverted.
Enya is a recluse.

If Enya was extroverted, would she be called "Outya"? :jester:
Seriously though, I've heard her described as both (introverted, reclusive).

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 6:17 pm

There was a story in the news a few days ago about a hermit that lived on an island alone for 30 years. Japanese hermit forced to give up his remote island.
In the back of my mind I was considering the possibility that he might be an Aspie.

Here is another link.
Japanese island man lives as naked hermit.