How can I learn not to care about the opinions of others?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Fickle_Pickle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 5:20 am

How can I possibly cut off from their views? Stop caring what they think and just have my own opinions. Even if they try to make me miserable and powerless, I want to be immune, to have a thicker skin. So is there anyway I can disassociate myself from their will and expectations?

ElliottJumpshoe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2009, 5:53 am

I guess if there's a trick to it it's to just quit caring. You'd need to talk to more people who would encourage you to value your own opinions, people who themselves don't take any crap. This sort of thing can boost your self-confidence and make you value your own opinions.

If people say derogatory things about you, why waste your time with them? Take for example the people who post videos on Youtube. Some of them say that they'd never respond when people leave comments that just say "This sucks!" or "This is so gay!" The reason being that those comments are worthless. If you valued your work enought o upload it to Youtube, then you cannot be discouraged by people who have nothing better to do than slate your creative work, and not even in a constructive way. Of course, you wouldn't want to ignore everyone's opinion, as some people genuinely have something good or useful to say.

I hope this is of some help. On the other hand, maybe you'll learn not to give a crap what I think. Good for you.

Fickle_Pickle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 6:55 am

I guess caring is implanted too deep inside me.

khelben1979
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2009, 7:03 am

Prioritize your health, then you will feel stronger and you should have an easier time when other people expresses their opinions on you, but I agree that it can be a pain sometimes, I have personal experience from this as well.

Everyone doesn't always respect other peoples opinions and some people always thinks that their opinions always is better.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 7:42 am

i guess, sometimes, people who care too much about the opinions of others, don't really value opinions of their own. or in other words, they care so much about the opinions of others, because they want to reasure their own opinions.

i was there, then i've achieved things in my life, started to value myself and my opinions more and now i don't have any problems with opinions of others anymore.

now, you don't have to achieve things, it comes with the age and takes time, just start believing in yourself more. start to value your own opinions, learn to like yourself, become narcissistic if necessary.

mistercheech
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2009, 11:03 pm

what? don't.

it's better to be a better person and the best way to do that is to listen to what other people have to say.

you should probably try to care MORE about the opinions of others.

Fickle_Pickle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 11:19 pm

Whatever, I'm already 18 and need to go my own way without others holding me back. I don't have a decent job, and I am desperate to earn money a dishonest way (scams, telemarketing, mail fraud, E-bay fraud, prostitution, and other illegal ways) but everyone laughs and scoffs. It's MY life! I can get into as much trouble as I want and it isn't their problem, yet they don't want me to. They're sending me mixed signals, if that is so, I'd rather have the ability to not give a f**k.

If I'm a coked-up, bulimic supermodel, then it's not anyone else's problem. I'd alienate and eventually stop visiting them, so I won't be near them. Then I'd be dead within 5 months and it could be like I never existed, so why do they pretend to care about me when I know they don't.

So I want the power to say "Screw you!" and do whatever it is I'm going to do.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 11:47 pm

I'd go with the website-graphic novel idea
people love odd things :)
it is your life
if you want to live in a hut somewhere
no one can stop you!
its your life-enjoy it, you only get 1

sketches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Mar 2009, 12:06 am

mistercheech wrote:
what? don't.

it's better to be a better person and the best way to do that is to listen to what other people have to say.

you should probably try to care MORE about the opinions of others.

Exactly... Fickle, just don't let their opinions of you faze you. It doesn't make sense to let other people's opinions determine your life, but it doesn't make even more sense to shut yourself out completely and ignore other people's thoughts. I would recommend that you, at the very least, acknowledge their opinions. You don't have to pay attention or think them over.

Fickle_Pickle wrote:
... It's MY life! I can get into as much trouble as I want and it isn't their problem, yet they don't want me to. They're sending me mixed signals, if that is so, I'd rather have the ability to not give a f**k.

Fickle: In what way are the people you know sending you mixed signals? From what I can tell, they just don't want you to. You already know that it's your own life; that means that even though they don't "want" you to, you still can. Are they physically holding you back in any way?

Bottom line: Don't let anybody else run your life. Besides, it's impossible. You ALWAYS make your own actions. I'd go into detail about a slave not actually being a slave, but this probably isn't the time. :D

Holinyx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2009, 12:22 am

Fickle_Pickle wrote:
How can I possibly cut off from their views? Stop caring what they think and just have my own opinions. Even if they try to make me miserable and powerless, I want to be immune, to have a thicker skin. So is there anyway I can disassociate myself from their will and expectations?

I'd say you have to learn to hate people. wear some type of flip flops with socks. wear shorts when it's cold. wear a shirt to the mall that says "f**k you". in a short while, you won't even notice the stares. and you sure as hell won't care. wear dark glasses so people can't see you're eyes. stop trying to fit in with the rest of the sheep. stop trying to impress people. stop buying $100 shirts and pants. buy $10 wal-mart shoes. and then when you aren't expecting it, it'll dawn on you that you just don't give a f**k. enjoy :)

ThisisjusthowItalk
Raven
Raven

27 Mar 2009, 12:46 am

Fickle_Pickle wrote:
Find people who are legitimately intelligent and successful, and care a lot about their opinions and expectations. Work day and night to earn their trust and high regard, and try to emulate them.

I wouldn't take it to any extreme, but I find that associating myself with likable people helps deafen me to what anyone else has to say. At that point, the rest of the world just seems completely unimportant, and I can get to doing things that I want to do.

Fickle_Pickle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 1:01 am

Holinyx wrote:
Fickle_Pickle wrote:

I'd say you have to learn to hate people. wear some type of flip flops with socks. wear shorts when it's cold. wear a shirt to the mall that says "f**k you". in a short while, you won't even notice the stares. and you sure as hell won't care. wear dark glasses so people can't see you're eyes. stop trying to fit in with the rest of the sheep. stop trying to impress people. stop buying $100 shirts and pants. buy $10 wal-mart shoes. and then when you aren't expecting it, it'll dawn on you that you just don't give a f**k. enjoy :)

There is this lovely shirt that I covet that says "F**k Milk, Got Pot?" :D