**Warning**April is "Autism Awareness Month"

Page 2 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Mar 2009, 6:44 pm

Yeah! Great YouTube page! I wasn't personally attacking you whitetiger, just making the point that the only way that we can change people's minds about what autism looks like is to put ourselves out there and change the perspective from our perspective so to speak.

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 6:52 pm

For parents of children who are on the "lower functioning" end of the autism spectrum, it must be disheartening and terrifying, but it would be nice if organisations like Autism Speaks would acknowledge that those of us with AS/HFA/AS+NLD are generally not a bunch of sorry cases in need of a cure; you're better in all cases doing things to help autistic people learn how to handle interacting and coping with an NT world than looking for a 'cure.'

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 7:38 pm

Liverbird wrote:
Yeah! Great YouTube page! I wasn't personally attacking you whitetiger, just making the point that the only way that we can change people's minds about what autism looks like is to put ourselves out there and change the perspective from our perspective so to speak.

Thanks :) I did feel attacked, so I responded defensively. I'm so glad that wasn't what you intended.

I do have this new idea-- to challenge myself to make one video a day for Awetism Awareness month! (and yes, I spelled it that way on purpose!) I will almost double my videos (doubling my efforts) for 30 days.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Mar 2009, 8:14 pm

That's a great goal to have Whitetiger. I look forward to seeing your new videos.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 8:25 pm

More importantly, what are people doing thats going to get them noticed. Really we need a proper counterprotest irl at an event of theres, but do it by causing mayhem. Its the only way to get decent media attention.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 9:06 pm

Google "autism speaks doesn't speak for me" and you get some interesting posts.

Shouldn't it be Autistic Awareness Month???

And, did you know that just about every other disabled group feels the same way about "charity" organizations? There are a whole raft of organizations controlled by disabled groups, and an umbrella organization that lobbies the UN. Or so I have been reading . . . I don't know what it's been up to lately.

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 9:25 pm

Silly question...or not: Are there any parents belonging to Autism Speaks who openly admit to being on the spectrum themselves?

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 9:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
I'm more concerned about the media response - their news items that allegedly link ASDs with "Columbine" style shootings, animal cruelty, pedophilia, homosexuality, celebrity stalkings, and spousal abuse ... and my doctor wonders why I haven't "come out" to anyone about my condition.

do you have links?

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 11:09 pm

Liverbird wrote:
What are we doing to get rid of the idea that we are accurately portrayed by puzzle pieces? What are we doing to get rid of the idea that cure tactics are appropriate for all autistics?

wear a guy fawkes mask and troll autism speaks marches.

is it can be pizza mailing tiem now, or i can has pizza mailed

Quote:
Autism Speaks Inc
www.autismspeaks.org

501 N Wells St
Chicago, IL 60654
(224) 567-8573

Stray-Ana
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2009, 12:37 am

Fnord wrote:
"Autism Speaks" does not speak for me.

I'm more concerned about the media response - their news items that allegedly link ASDs with "Columbine" style shootings, animal cruelty, pedophilia, homosexuality, celebrity stalkings, and spousal abuse ... and my doctor wonders why I haven't "come out" to anyone about my condition.

Wow, so loving someone of the same sex [homosexuality - bleh] is comparable to and as awful as the rest of that list of criminal acts. Wtf?

Didn't mean to deviate from the original topic - but that kinda p!sses me off.

That aside, what you said about society in your 1st post, well said whitetiger.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2009, 12:44 am

GreatCeleryStalk wrote:
For parents of children who are on the "lower functioning" end of the autism spectrum, it must be disheartening and terrifying,

It should be noted many people with 'low-functioning' autism end up on the LFA end by adulthood or being a teenager.

Stray-Ana wrote:
Wow, so loving someone of the same sex [homosexuality - bleh] is comparable to and as awful as the rest of that list of criminal acts. Wtf?

pedophilia is NOT a 'criminal' act. Also, he was comparing autism to what the mainstream US society considers 'wrong'. Not illegal.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2009, 1:59 am

Thanks for the warning, I will avoid April.

Think of all the suffering of those who have been imprisoned by autism, with big bubba who has rights.

Now they are being released because the public support for charities has vanished, and Autism Speaks has a $10,000,000 overhead to meet.

yes, they have suffered through endless parties, flown bands in from the coast, had to deal with the caterers, and it is all coming to an end and they are being cast out without even a paycheck, and their friends, the investment bankers, are not returning their calls.

Autism Awareness is about the fundraisers who made $10,000,000 a year as the self elected spokespeople for all Autism, just as others do for Dissability Rights, and other Rights, It provided jobs for those who organized, and thier friends.

Now they are no longer supported, have to do something besides show how bad those people are, clean out their desk, and stand in the unemployment line, with those common people. Why can't they send the maid to stand in line?

Who will do the work of exterminating the Autistic? FEMA maybe? Do you really want government control of important projects? Not if you want results.

All of this activist behavior is bringing attention and donations to Autism Speaks, now do you really want to march in the streets?

They chose April, because, "April is the cruelest month."

millie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2009, 2:03 am

^ goodness....Sounds just like the mainstream art scene. all that nepotism...all that cake.

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2009, 2:19 am

Mmm. Cake!

Stray-Ana
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2009, 2:29 am

Warsie wrote:

Stray-Ana wrote:

pedophilia is NOT a 'criminal' act. Also, he was comparing autism to what the mainstream US society considers 'wrong'. Not illegal.

Right. Forget I said the word criminal it wasn't even necessary - whether something is illegal or not has no real correlation to how wrong or not something is. Yet being with someone of the same sex still has f-ck all to do with those other things listed...who ever thinks it does, mainstream US society or not can go f-ck themselves. To add: I am aware it was an example given and not necessarily the views of who posted it, so I wasn't having a 'go' at him - I should add that before anyone gets p!ssy at me.

BadMachine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2009, 4:28 am

awareness for a month too much?

goto the UK, it's only one day, April 2nd.

It was going to be April 1st, but somehow that just seemed wrong :roll: