Ever felt controlled/overwhelmed by your special interest?

Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 2:37 pm

Also does anyone ever feel that only when you are with your special interest are you at the level of perfection you think you should be at. When I wash dishes if I wash one then there is still food or smell left on it I get really annoyed and give up. Or mowing the lawn I dont feel my level is up to par. But when im Wrlling I feel perfect like im the best there has ever been. I just dont get that feeling elsewhere.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 2:54 pm

yes, it's as though my brain overrides all normal thoughts & relates everything to something of interest.
i used to love dinosaurs at one point, although i hardly remember it now &Jurassic Park scared me :(
now i seem to have a few BIG interests like music & movies.. but also small interests, or "at the back of my mind" interests, i really wanna learn about guns for instance ( only in a "stats" way, i don't want to shoot anyone ) & geography, history & languages.. not small, indeed huge, but is hard to start again without help. i have more movies than i can ever watch.. but not many history books :( it'd be nice to switch it off occasionally but it's ok for me :)

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 3:03 pm

When it occupies me to the degree where I lose sleep, forget to do important day-to-day things and fail to prioritize (which I'm crap at anyway), then I'm overwhelmed. All these things can lead me into shutdown, so special interests can be a problem for me if they get too intense.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 3:09 pm

When I was really obsessed with the Japanese anime Hellsing, I kinda felt like it was controlling me. The only other anime I allowed myself to watch was a similar anime called Trinity Blood. This was out of fear that if I watched any other anime, Hellsing would be replaced. I've had emotionally painful transitions between special interests before, and I didn't want it to happen again.

But eventually, I decided to face my fears and watch new anime. My obsession with Hellsing is now quietly slipping away, but I'm more comfortable about it now.

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2009, 3:19 pm

jonahsmom wrote:
Ever felt controlled/overwhelmed by your special interest?

Not especially, but my special interests happen to be criminals who have commited henious/serial murder and dismantling machinery, so I'm quite glad this does not rule my life 0_0

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 4:07 pm

There has been only once that my obsession had come to take over me and that was a few years ago and I was quite addicted to the internet - specifically with one site in particular. I never did much outside of the site and so I posted on thesite quite a lot. I had toned it down when I realised I was getting too far into it and varied it upo a bit, but the obsession is still there. I go for walks now to break up the monotony of doing one thing ffor too long and I actually do take breaks from the internet for a while now, though I think there could be longer breaks for me.

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog