Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

wrongchild
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2009, 8:59 am

I may make some grammatical errors here...but I had tried
my best to express what I want to tell...

Ok, I want to encourage you for what you are doing
right now. If you think you may have asperger syndrome
then you may have it. For a long time, I had searched
for anything I can find and recalled my memory as
possible as I can. And finally, I am sure that I am an
aspie.

I want to clarify something here.

1. Lot's of parents don't actually know their kid's condition.
At least my parents are this kind of people. They tend to
rationalize every thing about my behavior in childhood.

These are thier opinions.
Self-centered is common in children because children are
mentally immature. Inablity of figuring out other's intention
and feelings are based on the same excuse. If a kid
has one or two friends in school then he/she is normal,
although these friends are taking advantage of the child.
I definitely have intense interests when I was a child,
however due to my ablity of super sense of memory and
intelligence, they were prefer to considerate my interests
of "talents".

But I won't blame to them, because before I took insight
into asperger syndrome I had no idea what is the word
really means.

2.The borderline between asperger syndrome and personality
disorder is quite blur. So, it is very difficult for doctors
to diagnose someone who had grown up. All they can do is to
trace back the patient's past. Beside, I think the experts
do not ultimately understand asperger syndrome.
If the symptoms will fade away when the child grow up,
why there are still so many people struggling from thier
miserable life? The features between children and adults
are diverse. Therefore, so many psychologists focus on
children sometimes I feel I was abandoned.

If psychologists are able to experience what I had experienced
they will confirm it. But the point is that they cannot identify
whether I am telling the truth or lie.

If you are still seeking for the truth of your life, don't
give up. You are probably right.

Last edited by wrongchild on 13 Mar 2009, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

13 Mar 2009, 10:12 am

who cares about grammar
who cares about spelling

(well i do, anyone knows)

well spoken!

ps [pre-signoff]:
if you want i'm happy to edit
but... why bother?

'noughsaid/toxic@Robert'0.iii

may your god forgive you

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 11:13 am

The phrase "self diagnosed themselves" is redundant. Who else does one self-diagnose but himself?

ruveyn

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2009, 11:24 am

oblio wrote:
who cares about grammar
who cares about spelling

(well i do, anyone knows)

well spoken!

ps [pre-signoff]:
if you want i'm happy to edit
but... why bother?

'noughsaid/toxic@Robert'0.iii

Hm.. have to second that, well spoken!
I used to be a regular poster on this site, seeking answers to why I feel different and have done so all my life. This site gave me many answers, but I still feel like an intruder, since I don't have a proper diagnose. I might set up an appointment with my doc to get one, but then again, I think.. having made it to fifty without..so what the hell. I might just get a dx if I get more trouble coping with work and life in general, but I concider myself a mild AS

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2009, 11:27 am

ruveyn wrote:
The phrase "self diagnosed themselves" is redundant. Who else does one self-diagnose but himself?

ruveyn

You're right off cause, but I think the OP got the message trough, eh?

Last edited by mosez on 13 Mar 2009, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 11:31 am

I have not had a formal diagnosis. I don't really care if anyone looks down on me for that fact. I don't feel the need to label myself. Whether I am AS, HFA, or just plain weird, I enjoy being here and learning about autism and participating in discussions.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 11:36 am

I am also self-diagnosed. Thank you for the thread!

Aspetta
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Mar 2009, 12:12 pm

Yes thank you so much for saying that:)

I'm self-diagnosed and I doubt I will ever be able to afford a real diagnosis/therapy, but I will not give up on trying to enjoy life while I'm here. My mom and my oldest sister always rationalize my past as well... I think the only thing you can do is put distance between yourself and the people who don't "get" you.

funnymachine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Mar 2009, 1:22 pm

I don't understand why anyone would WANT to diagnose themselves with Aspergers

Does this mean I can diagnose myself as not having it :-)

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2009, 1:36 pm

What's the diff between personality or syndrome :?:

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2009, 2:08 pm

funnymachine wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would WANT to diagnose themselves with Aspergers

Does this mean I can diagnose myself as not having it :-)

It means, that you feel out of sync with the rest of the world. You try to find an answer. Asking questions, comparing.. tests.. etc, leads you in some direction.
And means, yes, you can diagnose yourself not having it, after you find out you don't qualify for the traits.
I don't think anyone just woke up one morning and decided to become an AS

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

13 Mar 2009, 2:12 pm

Pook wrote:
What's the diff between personality or syndrome :?:

OOPS

let's prevent a major semantic-row before it actually can happen...

ONE - syndrom
a 'syndrom' in this sense is a 'collection' of traits which are a ascribed as indicatory for a certain condition
it is as vague as that

however, in our relevant psychiatry there is no other 'spectrum' than the autism-spectrum
so in practice: a 'spectrumite' is someone who has enough traits to (maybe) fit into that spectrum - for labelling purpose

TWO - pdd vs pd

roughly, there are always exceptions, but just to get the basics generally right

there are all sorts of psychiatric conditions, by far most of which can be considered a PD :
PERSONALITY DISORDER
to some extent, you could say that a PD can happen to anyone, presumably as an at first psychological response to emotional trauma (the earlier in life, the more unconscious and the deeper the damage)
the list is long (and ill just prepare an Addit):

-
-
-
-
-

then there is this separate little grouping of PDD(s)
PERVASIVE DEVELOPMENTAL DISORDER
in which case the causation is not to be sought in psycho-trauma,
but in any kind of development of the neural system, at any (early) stage of its development (remember: the brain starts developing from the moment after first conception until well into puberty, and keeps 'maturing' until around 27
as this is a neural (brain) problem (or 'phenomenon') it is not a psychiatric issue.

However: there is NO biological marker for autism. Every trait on the spectrum CAN be ascribed to psycho-traumatic PD; which is the only reason why PDD MUST be diagnosed by a psychiatrist - who, by definition, will perform this as he is taught, as a doctor dealing with (possible disease) -
but basically, a PD should not AFFECT the entire person, just his/her psychological make up
(and is therefore 'treatable'); a PDD however just is a fact of life; there is no medication to 'repair' or 'disaffect'
what in fact is no damage, but difference
and: why repair what is not damaged

one annoying thing is: all types of autism are pdd; there is no pdd that is not autism:
- so not by definition but in practical terms: pervasive=autistic= = =
(there are just too many different words for the same thing in this and all related subject.

there is much more, there always is - i have other things to do -
and will wait for the comments: which there will be; as said:
this is just to get a clear basis, a frame to fill with nothing but exception

i expect danielismyname will be just around the corner

but had expected more useful comment by ruveyn: that was below your usual level, mate!
at best beside the point, but presumable simply wrong, both semantically & syntactically

AUTISM?exceptionalrules/toxically@Robert'0iii

may your god forgive you

Last edited by oblio on 13 Mar 2009, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghostpawn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2009, 2:31 pm

I don't have a problem with people self-diagnosing. Adult aspies will often self-diagnose long before getting an official diagnosis, even in cases where an official diagnosis actually helps in any way - and there's plenty of litestyle-related reasons for people not to get one. On the other hand, self-diagnosis (and official diagnosis) can also be inaccurate, and most conditions commonly confused with AS can be treated using therapy or medication.

A syndrome is life-long, you're just born that way. A personality disorder is acquired and can be treated with therapy, which means those people can be normal if/when they choose to, while still maintaining an "aspie" lifestyle if they want. If there was a pill I could take whenever I wanted to be NT for a day, there's many occasions where I'd choose to use it.

I think part of the animosity comes from some self-diagnosed AS who come on here claiming to be "cured" of AS and that we just have to "make an effort" to be normal, also fit the symptoms for some personality disorder - in other words, they were never AS to start with. That said, I welcome anyone who's aspie-friendly on this site, regardless of their neurology or personality, and I hope I'm not the only one.

A few conditions with some similarity to AS (any of which can also co-exist with AS):
- social anxiety = fear of social situations, isolation often leads to poor social skills, but completely treatable
- schizoid PD = little or no emotion, no desire to socialize, but can learn to do so when needed
- narcissistic PD = can't ever admit/accept than anything is their fault, thus rarely treatable (unless they accept that they have it)
- OCPD = obsessive, attention to detail, anxiety, but treatable with therapy
- OCD = obsessive, attention to detail, anxiety - lifelong, but treatable with medication
- ADHD = impulsive, distracted, forgetful, have to get up and run, can cause social problems - lifelong, but treatable with medication
- bipolar = major mood swings, can cause social problems - lifelong, but treatable with medication

To sum it up, self-diagnose all you want, but for everyone and your own sake, check out alternate possibilities as well.

ghostpawn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2009, 2:40 pm

Also, some want to self-identify as AS because they don't fit in to society, and/or heard that AS means being highly intelligent and anti-social. 8O

AS doesn't automatically make you a genius. Studies show that most of those on the spectrum have near-average IQs. If you're looking for an exclusive club for highly intelligent elite - try mensa. :lol:

If you're rude by choice, that's not AS - you're just a jerk.

If you don't fit in elsewhere, or just feel more comfortable here... AS or NT doesn't matter, you're welcome anyway! :D

Madfrenchy
Raven
Raven

13 Mar 2009, 2:49 pm

I'm pretty sure to be an Aspie, but everyday I ask me questions about it... And everyday I find answer that tell : "yes, that's what you are since you're born !".

Ok, I may only have personality disorder... But... Why did I spend every pause alone in the classroom with 3 years and the years after ? Why do I feel lost and different since I can remember ? And why... X 1000 ? :!:

I plain to "apply" for a diagnose, but if a doctor diagnose me only by speaking with me, asking me questions... How can his diagnose be better as mine ?! And if he tell me "no, you're f****** normal, it's just a lack of self-confidence, you must be shy,... !" would this change something to what I feel, what I am and ever was ?

« L'important c'est de se sentir heureux, d'extérieure, la vie devient intérieure, son intensité reste la même et vous savez, c'est bizarre où le bonheur de vivre va parfois se nicher. » Blaise Cendrars, Moravagine

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2009, 2:59 pm

ghostpawn wrote:
I don't have a problem with people self-diagnosing. Adult aspies will often self-diagnose long before getting an official diagnosis, even in cases where an official diagnosis actually helps in any way - and there's plenty of litestyle-related reasons for people not to get one. On the other hand, self-diagnosis (and official diagnosis) can also be inaccurate, and most conditions commonly confused with AS can be treated using therapy or medication.

A syndrome is life-long, you're just born that way. A personality disorder is acquired and can be treated with therapy, which means those people can be normal if/when they choose to, while still maintaining an "aspie" lifestyle if they want. If there was a pill I could take whenever I wanted to be NT for a day, there's many occasions where I'd choose to use it.

I think part of the animosity comes from some self-diagnosed AS who come on here claiming to be "cured" of AS and that we just have to "make an effort" to be normal, also fit the symptoms for some personality disorder - in other words, they were never AS to start with. That said, I welcome anyone who's aspie-friendly on this site, regardless of their neurology or personality, and I hope I'm not the only one.

A few conditions with some similarity to AS (any of which can also co-exist with AS):
- social anxiety = fear of social situations, isolation often leads to poor social skills, but completely treatable
- schizoid PD = little or no emotion, no desire to socialize, but can learn to do so when needed
- narcissistic PD = can't ever admit/accept than anything is their fault, thus rarely treatable (unless they accept that they have it)
- OCPD = obsessive, attention to detail, anxiety, but treatable with therapy
- OCD = obsessive, attention to detail, anxiety - lifelong, but treatable with medication
- ADHD = impulsive, distracted, forgetful, have to get up and run, can cause social problems - lifelong, but treatable with medication
- bipolar = major mood swings, can cause social problems - lifelong, but treatable with medication

To sum it up, self-diagnose all you want, but for everyone and your own sake, check out alternate possibilities as well.

Well, thanks for clearifying. I just try to seek out some answers. I've been away for sometime, and discovered, coming back, that you have started to flame eachother, good luck with that!
I will leave this site for good, I had high hopes for this site, but it all cooked down to flaming eachother, what a shame :(