Can You?
Yes 59%  59%  [ 60 ]
No 41%  41%  [ 41 ]
Total votes : 101

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2009, 3:55 pm

I can do it, but not well -- that is, either the music distracts me somewhat from my reading, or the reading distracts me somewhat from my music. I could never study properly while listening to music, the way some NT friends of mine can.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2009, 4:38 pm

Yes, I can. It's easier if its classical music or something instrumental. Things with words, while I'm reading words, can be too much.

But I can't walk/run on a treadmill and watch tv. I literally start leaning to the side. It's become a joke in my family and they think it's hilarious to watch me. :lol: I can listen to music and run, but I can't watch TV and run. :shrug:

Ford_Prefect
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2009, 12:25 pm

I can read when listening to music but I cannot read when somewhere is talking (including TV). In my brain circuits for speech recognition has higher priority as circuits for reading.

khelben1979
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2009, 1:11 pm

I voted: yes.

I'm used to look at movies at the same time I'm reading and writing on internet forums, just like this one.

If I'm supposed to read something very difficult which demand a very high degree of concentration, then I can get problems, but not necessarily, it depends. When I'm reading books like Tolkien or similiar I prefer not to have music in the bakground, it doesn't feel good.

I feel that sound in the background can cause me to get a bit unfocused sometimes, but at the same time I like it and it feels very relaxing.

Adam-Anti-Um
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 9:01 am

I can multi-task with this most of the time, however sometimes the degree of this ability depends on my mood.

"We can spend the rest of our existences stomping on the ants that are mysteriously coming out from under the refridgerator, or we can remove the spoiled food behind it which is causing the infestation to begin with." - Peter Joseph

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 12:50 pm

I love listening to music as much as possible, and I can read while doing it. I'm listening to music right now actually.

McTell wrote:
I can read most things, but I cannot read poetry whilst listening to music.

I can't read poetry, period.

Madfrenchy
Raven
Raven

13 Apr 2009, 1:24 pm

Tragedyanne wrote:
Depends. Instrumental usually helps me focus, whereas music with lyrics makes me lose focus. I find people talking around me to be the most distracting thing of all though, so even music with lyrics is preferable to being around talking people when I'm reading.

Same for me.

But it's only when I'm at reading something "complicated". I have no problem to write on a forum or read a topic while listening to music.

The point is that I must be alone, it's really hard for me to work with people in the same room.

« L'important c'est de se sentir heureux, d'extérieure, la vie devient intérieure, son intensité reste la même et vous savez, c'est bizarre où le bonheur de vivre va parfois se nicher. » Blaise Cendrars, Moravagine

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 2:19 pm

Emor, yes sometimes I'm able to do such for, there is little or no trouble in being able to carry out both tasks in a simultaneous manner.. I shall state that while I'm able to do this I'm in no ways of being able to multi-task like hell or such.Anyways, I hope this is beneficial unto you?

ProfessorX

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 4:57 pm

I can. I have more problems with thoughs that come along from the story as i read things and sometimes i have to stop and re-read an entire section of text.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 5:03 pm

Yes, but I can only concentrate on either the music or reading, not both.

Having said that, I often feel agitated without music...something about it makes me feel better...the fact that it has its own "morphology".

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 5:52 pm

Yes, I can do more than listening to music while reading. I've once somehow succeeded to do 5 things at once: typing an essay, talking on the phone, talking on MSN, listening to music and eating. Mindless distraction once in a while gives me more time to process my thoughts. The ability to effectively multitask is one of my non-AS characteristics, along with an absence of noise/light sensitivity. Music sometimes even helps me study, because it activates the part of the brain where memorization occurs. However, with me it only works for humanities, not for science or math where you actually have to understand.

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2009, 2:46 am

When in High school, I used to do my homework, usually math, watch tv and listen to music at the same time.

DarthMaxeuis
Toucan
Toucan

14 Apr 2009, 9:09 am

I can easily do it. I think it is because I have only mild AS. But it's easier for me to concentrate on something without the music on.

HowlingMad1992
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2009, 1:51 pm

DarthMaxeuis wrote:
I can easily do it. I think it is because I have only mild AS. But it's easier for me to concentrate on something without the music on.

Just like me also.

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2009, 3:03 pm

Yes, but I'm not really listening to the music when I'm reading - my mind blocks it out.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 3:04 pm

Anniemaniac wrote:
Yes, but I'm not really listening to the music when I'm reading - my mind blocks it out.

Same. I get really concentrated.

FrogGirl wrote:
When in High school, I used to do my homework, usually math, watch tv and listen to music at the same time.

What kinda marks did you get in math? Just out of curiosity.