Can You?
Yes 59%  59%  [ 60 ]
No 41%  41%  [ 41 ]
Total votes : 101

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2009, 3:35 pm

Nope, I tend to focus on the music instead of the book, and it becomes difficult to concentrate.

Also, the images that the music creates in my mind tend to interfere with the images formed from reading the text, so I get confused easily when I try it.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 4:12 pm

Definitely no.

I either focus on reading a book or listening to music.

I can't do both as I have to direct my full attention to one activity or the other.

I read best alone in silence with minimal distractions.

TheTraditionalFrog
Raven
Raven

14 Apr 2009, 8:08 pm

Depends of the type of music playing.

DasObscure
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Apr 2009, 8:27 pm

Absolutely not if it's music I really enjoy, because then my mind concentrates on it, it becomes the main experience of that moment.

If it's neutral stuff though, say soft, easy on the ears, something I'm not particularly fond of but don't dislike either, yes, maybe then...

But generally no.

DasObscure

14 Apr 2009, 8:56 pm

Sea_of_Saiyan wrote:
Nope, I tend to focus on the music instead of the book, and it becomes difficult to concentrate.

Also, the images that the music creates in my mind tend to interfere with the images formed from reading the text, so I get confused easily when I try it.

Yes, this is exactly how it goes for me too. I'm mildly (or should I say selectively) synaesthetic too, and this has gotten a bit dangerous a combination with my compulsion of listening to music when I'm out the door - there have been a few occasions when I've been nearly hit by a car for being distracted by pulsating colors and prismic lights =P

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2009, 4:07 pm

I find it impossible unless it's classical music, but even then I'd rather have silence.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2009, 5:21 pm

I can read but I can't really study while listening to music.

Prim8
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Apr 2009, 6:35 pm

glider18 wrote:
I voted "no", but it really depends. I can read while the TV is on, but if I were to wear headphones and listen to music I could not concentrate well. But if music were playing elsewhere in the house I probably can read fairly well. My preference however is to have no noise while I read.

Me too! I definitely cannot study with noise of any sort in the background unless it's a clock ticking, steady rain outside or my cat purring etc. I need pin-drop silence to concentrate. If its reading a forum or something relatively simple, I can read OK with noise/music in the background. However, I prefer quiet unless I'm alone in the house and feel like I need the TV or music on low in the background for 'company'. Interesting how most people voted "yes", but most posters are saying "no".

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 11:48 am

SamwiseGamgee wrote:
Yes, but only if it's music I know really well, it's sung in a different language than english, or has no lyrics. Otherwise my mind is too distracted and I can't concentrate on what I'm reading.

I know exactly what you mean. My parents always thought I was crazy when I would put on some Bach while I was studying as a kid, they still think I'm crazy for preffering foreign music, over American Pop, Country, Rock, etc... I honestly couldn't focus on the studying nearly as well without it.