Can You?
Yes 59%  59%  [ 60 ]
No 41%  41%  [ 41 ]
Total votes : 101

reddingcal
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2009, 4:01 am

I voted No. Technically I can read while listening to music but I don't. Its too distracting.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 10:19 am

I consider it generally atypical for autism. Multitasking (doing more than 1 thing at a time) is often impaired in those with autism and people with autism get sensory overloads easily.

twix93
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2009, 10:44 am

No for me, I can only do one thing or the other. I need complete silence to read.

kornchild
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 11:05 am

no, It has to be in complete silence. If there is music playing in the background, I concentrate more on that than the thing I'm reading.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Mar 2009, 1:31 pm

I hate when I bring a book along if I have to wait somewhere, like a doctor's office. And the other people have to talk to each other. It pisses me off because their dialogue gets mixed in with what I'm trying to read.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 1:53 pm

I am the queen of multi-tasking, LOL. Right now I am listening to music, watching Friends on TV (subtitles so I can read the TV while listening to the music), posting this, and emailing my friend. Oh, and I'm also singing along with the music. :lol:

y es como un semestre"

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 4:00 pm

If I'm shopping or walking, I'm thinking. If I'm not thinking, I'm reading; sometimes I do both! Admittedly, if the book's crap, I'm critiquing; and sometimes, if the music is really good, it captures my attention: I'm thinking Yo Yo Ma's rendition of "The Good and the Bad and the Ugly" or Taverner's Sundered Veil, or maybe Radu Lupu's version of Grieg's first piano concerto?

Anyone else identify with this stuff?

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 5:55 pm

gbollard wrote:
I used to read books with Movie theme music on - just to enhance the story.

same here

:::)

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2009, 6:11 pm

gwynfryn wrote:
If I'm shopping or walking, I'm thinking. If I'm not thinking, I'm reading; sometimes I do both! Admittedly, if the book's crap, I'm critiquing; and sometimes, if the music is really good, it captures my attention: I'm thinking Yo Yo Ma's rendition of "The Good and the Bad and the Ugly" or Taverner's Sundered Veil, or maybe Radu Lupu's version of Grieg's first piano concerto?

Anyone else identify with this stuff?

Sometimes when reading and it's one of my favourite songs I'll stop reading for a second and take time to fully comprehend the lyrics, as opposed to semi comprehending them(as in, taking them in, but not really thinking about their meaning).
EMZ=]

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 6:18 pm

I voted no

I can hardly read at all (thats how it feels like but its not true, I just cant focus)
and I can hardly listen to music at all (music distracts my excistence, I cant hear myself think)

curtain

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2009, 6:37 pm

Aww, when I saw this thread title, I thought it was made by someone who CAN'T read while listening to music. It seems to me that most people CAN, so I was hoping that this thread would indicate that the fact that I can't is because of AS, but instead, I see that more people voted "yes". :(

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 6:46 pm

I can read and listen to music at the same time, but it's impossible for me to talk and type at the same time. I usually end up typing what I am saying.

stonemask
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2009, 7:06 pm

I can but only if the music is opera. And then only if it is a tenor singing. If it's too high or really low it will give me a meltdown.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 7:51 pm

I voted no. My favorite time to read a novel or book is right before going to sleep. When I read before bedtime it's never long before I'm too tired to stay awake.
I can't sleep unless it's quiet. So, I need quiet to read and sleep, both.

Tragedyanne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2009, 10:13 pm

Depends. Instrumental usually helps me focus, whereas music with lyrics makes me lose focus. I find people talking around me to be the most distracting thing of all though, so even music with lyrics is preferable to being around talking people when I'm reading.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2009, 10:26 am

The music always serves as a distraction whenever I'm trying to read a magazine, newspaper or book. I'm more able to focus on my reading in quieter environments than in noisier ones.