is it possible to develop hyperacusis?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Liresse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2009, 7:42 am

Recently (as in the last week) I have been experiencing worse and worse sound sensitivity. It has gotten to the point that I am now trying to breathe through my mouth instead of my nose because the breath going through my nose is starting to be painful to my ears. Footsteps on carpet. Leaning my head against a wall and hearing the hairs on my head rustle against each other. The sound of my own voice, no matter how quietly I try to speak. It is like someone is sandpapering or scratching a raw wound in each of my ears.

I have been told to just leave off the earplugs, with the result that I am sweating (right now) with stress of hearing myself typing on this keyboard.

I also have persistent tinnitus that I can hear over loud sounds and ordinary conversation. If I try to listen to conversation I hear bursts of pain every time someone says a highfrequency sound like "s" or "f" or "t."

WHAT can I do, other than stick earplugs in my ears and hope it will go away?

01 Apr 2009, 3:40 pm

Yes it is. I read a head injury can cause it. That's the only thing I know that can cause it.

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2009, 4:00 pm

I'd recommend visiting an ear doctor.

Hyperacusis can be a sign of certain ear disorders which can lead to deafness. Example: The problem could be that there is something extra inside your ear (such as a tumor) which is creating extra vibrations.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2009, 5:30 pm

Liresse,
the national autistic society support staff gave the support staff here some information on hyperacusis,and it states for autistics-it commonly gets worse or develops going into adult hood/early adult hood,but anyone can get it.
its also common to have tinnitus when have got hyperacusis as well so make sure to be aware of both just in case end up with the double lot.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!