Unlocking Autism on Discovery Health Channel tonight

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 10:33 am

Surprised this hasn't been brought up already.

Here is a review of the show.

http://health.discovery.com/tv/unlockin ... utism.html

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 10:35 am

looks interesting, too bad I haven't got that channel

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 11:08 am

Looks good. :) I wonder if it will air in the UK.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 12:15 pm

I've seen commericals for it, and it looks painful. Too many sobbing mothers. I'm willing to bet someone will call it an epidemic in the first twenty minutes. Someone else will say that it's the worst thing that could ever possibly happen to them.

Discovery seems to be hit and miss with decent autism shows. I watched their documentary on the family with six kids on the autism spectrum and was horrified (although I think that more because these parents obviously should never have had six kids to begin with, more than anything else). They had a show on the other day about identical twin autistic savants though that was pretty interesting; I watched that one all the way through.

Three years!

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 12:50 pm

wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't on one of the few big channels left on sky that still dont do subtitles.

SpongeBobRocksMao,
have just had a look at the EPG over the next few days and there was no sign of it on discovery.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Suzy56
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Apr 2009, 9:10 pm

I did not think that the unlocking autism program was any good whatsoever. There was not enough medical opinion. They should have different medical experts from around the world addressing all the theories of the cause of autism. In the program they mentioned that there is no research whatsoever that indicates that vaccines contribute to autism. That is a flat out lie! There is plenty of research that has been turned down by the government. This programs main focus was on a specific research institute who is trying to prove that genes are the cause of autism. If it was genetic we would have known long ago. I was extremely disappointed!

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 9:46 pm

Hey! I had my gram record it but it went off right at the updates part will soemone tell me about the little boy. I am havvign a freak out.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 11:31 pm

i posted this on another site i liked it, i didnt love it, but i loved how they said 100 kids with autism, 100 different types of autism, showed the family with 6 autistic children, told how it seems to be a lot of genetics, and showed the adult side of autism as well, which was cool.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 2:04 am

Suzy, I hate to burst your bubble, but the only study to even claim any linkage between vaccines and autism was the Wakefield study - one which Dr. Wakefield himself repudiated in 2003. Repeated studies by the US government, the Canadian government, the Danish government, the state of California, the CDC, and WHO have failed to find any links whatsoever.

If you like anecdotal evidence, my daughter didn't get her two-year-old shots until she was almost three - and she was just as autistic as you please well before then. Sorry, but even on the ol' "mommy knows best" rule, the antivax argument still doesn't hold water.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Apr 2009, 7:14 am

Suzy56 wrote:
I did not think that the unlocking autism program was any good whatsoever. There was not enough medical opinion. They should have different medical experts from around the world addressing all the theories of the cause of autism. In the program they mentioned that there is no research whatsoever that indicates that vaccines contribute to autism. That is a flat out lie! There is plenty of research that has been turned down by the government. This programs main focus was on a specific research institute who is trying to prove that genes are the cause of autism. If it was genetic we would have known long ago. I was extremely disappointed!

And there is significant reason to believe that it's genetic.

The only reason why it wasn't "proven long ago" is because milder forms of autism have only been acknowledged in the past 15 years, and profoundly autistic people tend to not breed. That, and parents are looking to blame anything for their child's autism but themselves.

But most of the people on this board can trace back a family member that is either confirmed AS or highly suspected AS.

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 10:01 am

I would like to see it. I don't have Discovery.

But I think a lot of us had something like a neurotoxin. THat is what I think happened to me. There was a period in my life when I was pretty much OK.

I think they call it AUT when theyh don't know what e;lse to call it?

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Apr 2009, 10:30 am

I watched the autism show last night. I did think it stressed the vaccine link a lot---I am of the opinion of genetics myself. And I believe that when I was born with oxygen deprivation that that problem turned those genes on. And if those genes aren't turned on---then the person doesn't display all the typical traits. I don't know---perhaps vaccines could turn on those genes too? Gee---I don't know. I'm just trying to look at different sides here. But---I firmly believe in genetics. I know of 8 on the one side of my family that display/displayed autistic traits (I put "displayed" because some are deceased now). I had a cousin in the Athens, Ohio Psychiatric Hospital many years ago. His traits seemed to strongly indicate autism---but back then they didn't know what things were.

Interesting to note is this side of my family with the suspected autism gene goes back to my great great great great great grandmother who was Jemima Jefferson Collins (1/2 black)---the daughter of a slave woman at the Jefferson Plantation (Thomas Jefferson's family). Thomas Jefferson is said to have had Asperger's. My great great grandmother caused a scandal in my family when she married my great great grandfather because being descended from Jemima Jefferson Collins made her 1/16 black. So that makes me 1/256 black.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 12:40 pm

Weird, I didn't see this thread yesterday, so I missed it =/