Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 1:58 pm

Odd thing happened to me today.

I walked to the store and somewhere in the store I lost my sunglasses which usually keep glare from the sun from overloading me. On the way back I had gotten warm from the exercise, so I took my jacket off (I was wearing a T-shirt and sweat pants). I was thinking mostly about how the glare from the sun was so annoying and how I was going to have to be careful not to walk into traffic; and while I noticed it was a little cold, I didn't take any further note of that until I realized it was snowing.

So here I was in my T-shirt and sweat pants, walking home in the snow and not feeling very cold at all. (About one-and-a-half miles.) I'm not usually bothered that much by cold, but when it's actually snowing, I do have to put on a sweater... except for today. Today I didn't notice how cold it was at all until I started getting hit by some fat snowflakes. It was close to freezing.

You know how when you're in overload, your brain will shut down extraneous functions, kind of the way if you overload a computer, one or more of the programs will freeze? I think that must've happened to me.

I got back home and, out of curiosity, took my temperature. Core body temperature was 101.4 degrees (that's a slight fever, consistent with exercise). I can only assume my brain was thinking, "Whoa! All this crazy data coming in from the eyes--I've got to drop something! Let's ignore the temperature sensors and just ratchet up her body temperature to make sure she doesn't freeze."

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 2:09 pm

My thermostat is broken. I'm always cold. Even bundled up under layers of blankets, with skin hot to touch, I'm laying there shivering. Once I get cold - or a part, like my feet, or nose - get cold, everything is cold and stays that way for hours.

Don't know if it's the same thing but it's hard to think of anything else when you are physically shivering, even on a somewhat warm day.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

05 Apr 2011, 2:48 pm

i pretty much prefer colder weather. summers really are a drag, and i'm not looking forward to it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 2:56 pm

I also prefer the cold to the hot.

daedal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2011, 3:30 pm

Well, in the summer we went to Croatia and it was very VERY hot and the first full day we went into the city (yes, Dubrovnik) and I had an awful meltdown. It was just too hot and there were tons of people and my parents and I were not communicating very well. We put it down to the temperature (my little Episode). I acclimatised for the rest of the holiday :D there was a simply marvellous storm one day.
As I see it, temperature is one more little thing which can send the waves of meltdown flowing. Although I don't like it, I work better in cold weather. You move faster and think better. I love hot weather...but that day last summer was just so new and unfamiliar.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 4:19 pm

It's not the norm for me, but there are many times when I don't realize how cold it is. In fact, I've done worse than a tee shirt and shorts; I've gone into the snow in my bare feet to take the trash out... not because I was too lazy to put shoes on, but because I didn't even think about it before or after.

Now heat is different entirely. When it's hot out, it feels just like walking into an open pizza oven to me and I get heat exhaustion very easily, more so if it is sunny and I have glare on top if it overwhelming me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 4:33 pm

I prefer weather between 45 and 65 degrees, anything below that is uncomfortable...even with appropriate clothing...anything above that is uncomfortably hot, and if its like 80 or higher then I start feeling really brain dead, thirsty and exausted if I am outside too long.....I actually went for a walk once and forgot to bring water so when I got back to my water bottle I drank most of it really quick and ended up vomiting and feeling absolutly horrid. so yeah I kinda like weather in between hot and cold.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 4:50 pm

Many glandular function can be responsible for not feeling the cold. Overweight is the easiest way to stay warm. I dont feel the cold but I have avoided heated rooms in winter now for at least 15 years. Summer heat is difficult for me with an extra 10kg on, but surfing now requires less rubber in cool water

People think I'm crazy wearing shorts in winter but I dont notice the cold anymore.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 4:59 pm

I am usually underdressed for how cold it does be in winter, and I will never wear a sweater - to warm, I'm pretty sensetive to the heat but I quite like the cold, my family are often shocked by me walking around indoors barefoot, my feet look blueish from the cold but I don't notice it.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Apr 2011, 6:17 pm

My glands function fine, but I am hyposensitive to cold. I hardly ever shiver and don't even wear sweaters. It doesn't usually get below -5 to -10 C here, though.

I do feel frostbite, however.

I've never noticed my body temperature increase to balance the cold. If anything I run slightly below average (around 97-98) as a general rule.

I have noticed my body does some weird stuff when I'm getting overstimulated. I get hypersensitive to some things, and occasionally (but not as often) hyposensitive to some things.