Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2009, 9:37 am

I have found my enjoyment and understanding when watching movies has greatly increased since I've switched from watching videos to watching DVDs, and I thus have the option of using subtitles. I invariably use the subtitles in all my DVDs. I don't have a hearing problem, but somehow I process language much more easily when I see it written down. Do others have a similar experience?

(I find myself thinking how much easier life in general would be to process if it came with subtitles!).

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2009, 9:46 am

I have a problem watching movies with subtitles. I get so caught up reading the captions that I forget to watch the movie, and end up walking away having just read a script.

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 9:54 am

I love subtitles because I'm more comfortable with written words than voice. That's one reason I love pc fantasy games and foreign films.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 10:25 am

I find subtitles extremely helpful. my ears are oversensitive so i hear things that shouldn't normally bother people. this means that I am unable to focus on the sound of the tv over other sounds. I can read pretty fast as well which means I can read it quick then watch the action. i miss nothing!

KiyokosOnlyOnigiri
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2009, 11:01 am

Subtitles are a good thing. Where I live, it can be loud, and I can't really hear anything much of the time, unless I'm concentrating on the conversation or movie or whatever, which, most of the time, I am not.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 11:33 am

I have a very hard time following movies without subtitles.

Fenrez
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2009, 11:55 am

I LOOOOVE subtitles. I have a hard problem following conversations (>.<) expecially when they talk fast (especially in the movies when theyre all tense or worried im just like shut up and say the line to wear i can understand it! none of this gasping business..) I can read and watch the tv at the sametime with subtitles so i love it! (i still like hearing the voices in the background tho)

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 12:09 pm

I generally always have subtitles activated when possible since it allows me to more complelety comprehend a movie or program. I have talked this this before where people post a video but don't post a link to a printed transcript which for some of us is an important thing.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 12:12 pm

I love subtitles too. I too find language easier to process when it is written down.

A lot of people don't like foreign films because they can only read OR watch the movie, not both, but I like them. I find it's just nicer to have the movie in the original language they would be speaking, it's more authentic.

My brother got a headache watching Kite Runner because it had subtitles, but I preferred it with subtitles instead of just being in English.

y es como un semestre"

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 12:14 pm

I can never follow a film/programme when it's not completely silent in the room. If my brother has his trains or nintendo ds switched on I can't hear a thing on TV, I'm like "just switch that bloody thing off and shut up!! I can't hear a thing!" and I end up sitting right close to the screen to catch what they're saying. I think subtitles would put an end to that, if only subs weren't too much of a distraction! I just can't win

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 12:36 pm

capriwim wrote:
I have found my enjoyment and understanding when watching movies has greatly increased since I've switched from watching videos to watching DVDs, and I thus have the option of using subtitles. I invariably use the subtitles in all my DVDs. I don't have a hearing problem, but somehow I process language much more easily when I see it written down. Do others have a similar experience?

(I find myself thinking how much easier life in general would be to process if it came with subtitles!).

being norwegian, MOST movies and tv is in a foreign language. we're all used to subtitles, and theyre not associated with hearing problems, but a part of everyday life

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 12:42 pm

jamesp420 wrote:
I have a problem watching movies with subtitles. I get so caught up reading the captions that I forget to watch the movie, and end up walking away having just read a script.

Agreed. While the subtitles are invaluable for those moments when the onscreen dialogue is slurred, mumbled, drowned out by explosive noise or otherwise unintelligible, but I find if I leave it on, I end up reading to the exclusion of important plot points that occur in the active exposition of the film. Reading all the dialogue actually gets in the way when you miss seeing the villain slip the hallucinogen into the protagonist's drink in scene four because you were too busy reading his innocuous distracting banter.

Filip
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2009, 12:42 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
being norwegian, MOST movies and tv is in a foreign language. we're all used to subtitles, and theyre not associated with hearing problems, but a part of everyday life

Same here in Belgium (well in fact the Flemish part, in the French part they dub American series and movies). I'm so used to subtitles that I don't realize it anymore.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 12:53 pm

Filip wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:

Same here in Belgium (well in fact the Flemish part, in the French part they dub American series and movies). I'm so used to subtitles that I don't realize it anymore.

yeah

sometimes when watching streamed movies, theyll have like turkish subtitles. that really messes me up, cus i _automatically_ read it :D "yülüm-what?" ruins the whole thing for me :D

Tragedyanne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2009, 8:22 pm

I thought this was just a strange thing with me. I have a lot of difficulty following a movie without them. I'll usually get the gist of a movie but miss things such as why a person is going to a certain location, or what leads them there. Having to read keeps me focused, sometimes I space out and miss things in scenes otherwise.

Emmett
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2009, 8:55 pm

I don't usually have this problem with movies, because I can often watch the lips of the actor.

I find this very interesting since I usually have a very hard time understanding the words to a song and have to read the words. My son is the same way, he can't process the words of a song. He'll get a foreign accent exactly right but the word will be jumbled. In the end I usually lose interest in a song as soon as I learn all the words. It's like an auditory puzzle that isn't interesting anymore once solved.